Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:39:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsMetro Detroit Game Jam (Step One)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Metro Detroit Game Jam (Step One)  (Read 2603 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:38:56 AM »

Hello to any developers or creative minded people of the Metro Detroit area of Michigan, my name is James Easterly and I want to extend my invitation to have you join me in creating the Metro Detroit Game Jam group. The goal is to bring together as many creatively enthusiastic people for occasional meet ups until we are able to host our first official game jam.

Currently we have a group on facebook that I would be happy for those who are interested to join. You are welcomed to invite anyone who you feel has the urge to create games (programing, visuals, music, etc), and to post any work you are currently working on or have already completed.

So if you're interested in making games and happen to live in the Metro Detroit area, then click the link below and join the fun.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Handwiches
Level 0

Handwiches, not Hand Witches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:31:17 PM »

Hey man,

I just moved out to California a few months ago. I grew up in the Metro Detroit area, so I'll be back in town every once in a while and would love to meet up.

Do you have regular sessions for meeting up? I was working out in Lansing for the past year or so and getting a game development community going in Michigan was something I really wanted to tackle, but it's a super tough one.

Handwiches
Level 0

Handwiches, not Hand Witches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »

Sorry for the follow-up post, but it sounds like what you have here is a bit more of a meetup than a game jam kind of thing. In the past year I researched a lot about other successful gamedev communities in San Francisco CA, Austin TX, and Chicago IL. It seems like the most common thing is that not everyone wants to get together to just work (some might), but people really go for a show-and-tell kind of thing.

I think it would be a really nice format to have a meetup night consisting of several parts. Not saying this is how you have to do it at all, but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling:

• 1-3 hours of show and tell, where people show their stuff up on a projector/tv. This could be a game, programming side project, or just game art. People can write their critique on a note card and hand it to the person after their presentation, or you could have a discussion between each presentation (note cards can save time).
  • 30 mins of general discussion about the group and how we can improve
  • Then invite people out to a bar (no pressure to drink), you guys will have a lot of cool stuff to talk about now.

Also, I want to suggest Brighton, or somewhere in reach of Lansing and Detroit as a meetup spot. There's a lot of college kids and graduates making some cool stuff over there. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:08:35 AM »

If you like to, join our facebook group. Things have been a tad slow moving as we as just sort of a social group at this point getting it's bearings. No officially scheduled events/jams, but we hope to bring in other smaller events to put under the MDGJ umbrella for the sake of exposure.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MetroDetroitGameJam/

I apologize for the incredibly late reply as well. Life for me personally has been all over the place, hence why I added up an admin to the facebook page who is pretty active in the game dev community of Detroit.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 02:32:21 AM »

Still looking for people from Michigan to join.

EasterlyArt Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic