Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:37:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsC# Networking & Socket Programming Tutorial Series
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: C# Networking & Socket Programming Tutorial Series  (Read 4752 times)
define-private-public
Level 0

Def-Pri-Pub

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »

Hi TIGSource Forums (first post here).  For the bast two to three months I've been working tutorial series about C#'s System.Net namespace.  This was born out of my frustration when I was looking for some other tutorials about Socket programming in C#.  I've been posting them regularly to /r/csharp and periodically to /r/gamedev.  I'm still working on the series, so if you have any suggestions, questions, or requests, I'm all ears.

Instead of only giving you small examples, I also try to build up bigger projects.  Most of it is done in the command line interface, but a few times I'm willing to break out of that and use MonoGame/XNA.  I've tried to structure it in a way where you can read them any which-way, but I do recommend digesting them in order.  All of these examples/samples should be cross platform too (I work on Linux primarily).  All of the sample code falls under the Unlicense.

Here is the link to them: https://16bpp.net/tutorials/csharp-networking/

Main Tutorials:

Micro Tutorials:
  • DNS - Resolving names into numbers
  • IPAddress - A data structure for those numbers
  • IPEndPoint - What we can connect to
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:38:58 AM by define-private-public » Logged

thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:13:03 PM »

oooh interesting!

You should post this in the monogame community hub as well

define-private-public
Level 0

Def-Pri-Pub

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 07:42:32 AM »

New tutorial released today.  This week it's a much simpler one.  I cover the Ping utility that's included in the System.Net.NetworkInformation namespace.

Here is the link

define-private-public
Level 0

Def-Pri-Pub

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:37:10 AM »

Alright, here's one more.  This tutorial is more of a different one.  Instead of creating an application from scratch, we're porting over a C application to C#.  I think this is a good way to illustrate the similarities and differences between Berkeley Sockets (found in C) and the Socket class (from C#).

Here is the link

As a side note, I also fixed the broken links I had up at the table of contents, whoops...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic