Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:18:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSingle screen platformers
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Single screen platformers  (Read 4444 times)
AuntEggma
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2016, 09:02:28 PM »

Just looking for a few modern examples of some "single screen platformers" in order to do some research for a game I'm working on at the moment.

I can think of games like burger time, donkey kong, n++... A few more specific games can be found here: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/threads/21592-Single-screen-Platformers

I'm really just looking for any modern platformer that doesn't scroll. Puzzle games in particular are what I'm aiming for... Thanks!
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »

this member made this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/508990/?
AuntEggma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:26:22 PM »

Oooooh good start! Thanks! Looks like a really cool donkey kong-esque game.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »

Made something once for LD where you could turn the level around the y axis 180 degrees and end up on the other side, and also tilt the level by 90 degrees in every direction on the z axis (it was rendered in 3D but the character could only move in 2D on x and y).

That's one way to get more stuff into a single screen, if that interests you.

A full Fez mechanic could work too, unless you don't think that counts as one screen. Or that thing on TIGS that started out as "2D Fez" whose name escapes me for the moment. Or something properly 3D for that matter?

Not very Donkey Kong, but... Just spitballing here.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:05:26 PM »

You could also slide the platforms horizontally or vertically in relation to the player character's movement. So, for example, if the player is moving right the platforms shift left, if the player jumps up the platforms shift down, if the player walks off an edge the platforms shift up, etc.

In this manner, I could imagine there could be special blocks or pickups that change the orientation of certain platforms or otherwise shift the arrangement of the level so that progression is not doled out in levels but more gradually through the bending and twisting of existing platforms (which maybe culminate into a checkpoint where the game graphics change, perhaps the platforms, enemies, and backgrounds change from forest to castle or day to night or whatever).

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:06:48 PM »

Wouldn't that just look like a level that's actually scrolling? Or do you mean the platforms would reäppear on the other side again after reaching one edge of the screen or something?

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »

Wouldn't that just look like a level that's actually scrolling? Or do you mean the platforms would reäppear on the other side again after reaching one edge of the screen or something?
Yeah, pretty much that.

What might be even more interesting is if platforms shifted at differing speeds (horizontal, vertical, or both), maybe differentiated with a unique visual look for each type.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 12:32:08 AM »

I think the magnifying technique in the game Bird Song is super cool:

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 05:45:39 AM »

that's dope

would things like knytt and vvvvv count?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
AuntEggma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 01:04:54 PM »

that's dope

would things like knytt and vvvvv count?
That magnifying technique is awesomeeee.  So is the idea of a rotating level.

I think you guys are showing me that if a platformer is 'single-screen' there needs to be something else going on for it to feel 'full.'
--
And it so happens the game I'm working on is heavily inspired by Knytt, so I think you hit the nail on the head.

What I've got so far conceptually is that there are four 'levels' which are essentially just repeating platformer screens with coins, jumps, some decoration... Real simple, not too difficult, basic platformer stuff. Relaxing. Much as Knytt feels to me. 

But unlike Knytt where there are dozens of screens, there will just be 4, with each ending and moving to the next one after a minute or so.  So the basic surface-level challenge is to just collect all the coins within the time limit.

I like what I'm hearing regarding ways to mix up the single screen idea. Maybe something visual, like the magnified lens idea.
AuntEggma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:05:49 PM »

Made something once for LD where you could turn the level around the y axis 180 degrees and end up on the other side, and also tilt the level by 90 degrees in every direction on the z axis (it was rendered in 3D but the character could only move in 2D on x and y).

That's one way to get more stuff into a single screen, if that interests you.

A full Fez mechanic could work too, unless you don't think that counts as one screen. Or that thing on TIGS that started out as "2D Fez" whose name escapes me for the moment. Or something properly 3D for that matter?

Not very Donkey Kong, but... Just spitballing here.

certainly no need to be Donkey Kong-esque.

I just can't think of a whole bunch of other examples.  Metroidvania type games are equally applicable.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »

not quite single screen, but check this

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »

not quite single screen, but check this

This was the first game that came to mind when I heard “single screen” tbh
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 05:56:16 PM »

Shameless self promotion... but Kapsul Infinite *might* provide a slightly alternative look at the single screen platformer (abstract, procedurally generated, odd controls). Levels are somewhat puzzle-like as you have to figure the best way through.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518680/

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 09:02:51 PM »

Super Crate Box
Escape Goat series
Karoshi series
The Bridge (rotational scrolling but I don't recall vertical or horizontal scrolling)
Eets series
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

I think the magnifying technique in the game Bird Song is super cool:

That looks awesome. It might get trying on my eyes after awhile, though. But it looks so cool!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »

Matt Thorson's "Jumper" games were fantastic single-screen precision platformers (single screen in the sense that each level was a single, non-scrolling screen, which seems to be what you're asking about)

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »

another one:
Penarium

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »

Punishment the original by Messhof. Looks like he took down from his site though, maybe to re-release like he did with Flywrench?
Super Mario Bros. on the Atari- the 2P one.

dxman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »

I didn't see any mention of Fire n Ice for the NES in that thread about older games. That’s a fun one.

As for more recent games that haven't been mentioned, there’s Offspring Fling.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:58:08 AM by dxman » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic