Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:18:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCold Nights (A wilderness-survival based roguelike)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cold Nights (A wilderness-survival based roguelike)  (Read 1170 times)
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »

Hey guys!
I'm a fairly experienced developer that's been programming for a bit over 1.5 years. As such, I decided to start my first serious project a few weeks ago. I intend to see this game through and sell it once it is polished and fully functional.

Game Concept
The basic idea of the game is that you're stranded in the wilderness, and need to survive for as long as possible while fighting off creatures of the woods (Creatures from cryptozoology). I plan on having a health, hunger, and warmth mechanic. I did want to emphasize survival, but did not wish to take it to the extent of a game such as The Long Dark. I plan to have some elements of Don't Starve, such as mineable resources and some forms of magic.

What I Have Done So Far
So far, I have implemented a framework of the movement system along with an inventory that I am still working on. The movement system could be considered complete, but I feel as though I have not spent enough time on it polishing how its "feel". I have also finished the hunger system, although I could put some more work towards making it less linear. The inventory is essentially complete, but has yet to be tied in with equipping items and varying types of usable objects (swords, pickaxes, guns, bows). As I am a new programmer, it takes me much longer than normal people to implement these things (I am, however, proud that I am able to solve these problems on my own  Smiley)

Here are some gifs:

Movement:

Damage:

Inventory:

I hope to receive feedback as I develop my game, so please feel free to critique guys!
 Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
DavidJohnYVR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »

Starting out well! looks great.

Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:05:39 AM »

Starting out well! looks great.
Thanks!  Smiley

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »

Ok! So I revamped the JSON database system a few weeks ago. This way, I don't need to have every single parameter on objects that don't need them (A 'damage' value on a resource such as a 'bandage' as it will not be used to attack). Trying to get more done, but schoolwork is in the way!

Thanks to anyone who reads my thread  Smiley

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:19:02 PM »

Not feeling satisfied with my current hunger bar, much too similar to minecraft in my opinion.

(Actual entire apple as the other ones lack the stem due to keeping the same height x width as the health bar

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »

Ok, so the project is "cancelled".

In reality, I'm porting it to Duality, and feel that maintaining this specific devlog is pointless.
Once I've gotten far enough, I'll make another devlog, with a different (and hopefully better!) name for the game.

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic