Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:08:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat is your ideal game making paradise?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What is your ideal game making paradise?  (Read 3707 times)
thatgamesguy
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2016, 05:48:41 AM »

Hello all, I'm doing some research for a project and was curious what inspires everyone to make video games.

It doesn't really have to be inspiration, perhaps its something that helps you get into the right mindset for creating games.    If there was an ideal place, a game making paradise in a sense, what would your senses be showing you?   

If you can't put your ideal place in words, sounds and pictures are fine!

Crawling up out of my previous indie disasters, I could sure use your help to lighten up this wasteland I call progress. Noir:
Submit your game to my Kaidus.com/community/linkdirectory Gomez and I can get you a free backlink!
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:04:52 PM »

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 05:56:24 PM »

I find it motivational to stop thinking about what games I play or what games I like. Instead think about why you liked the game you feel nostalgia for. For me, often the reason I enjoyed a game so much is because it did the best job at bringing friends together to work together and share something.
These games turned out to often be eSport games, since it would make us work along side each other as a team and share in our victories and defeats. Our plays could be watched and talked about with and by each other.

So yeah, for me, that social/cooperative element is the heart of why I enjoy games, and it's important for me to remember that so that whatever I make stays supporting that

voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:40:20 PM »

For me, the ideal environment is one where I'm required to be in an office, but placed under little supervision. I have many tedious tasks that I have to complete (none related to game development, maybe I'm a government employee), each with deadlines, but the repercussions for failing to complete a task on time (or at all) are extremely minor.

Historically this is the environment that I've managed to get the most work done in. If I have time to make games, I procrastinate with other things. If I don't have time to make games, I procrastinate with making games.
Bauxite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »

Probably a vast forest with a computer in it. Preferably one with an internet connection.

▶  Current project: The Zipper (Devblog)  ◀
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:09:40 PM »

Somewhere where I can take breaks, go for a walk, exercise and drink water any time I need to.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:10:19 PM »

Home.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »

Home.

Ditto Prinsessa. Configuring your space to be productive is paradise. I don't think programming in the woods is very practical.
But taking walks and exercising is good. Personally I go climb at the gym then eat food I cooked then code away

This wouldn't work very well if I was stuck in transit excessively or if home wasn't quiet enough to think. I have a standing & sit down desk, yoga mat & yoga ball for movement. I'm in paradise.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »

I look back fondly of my days of studying INdependent VIdcons at Lord King God university. If you aren't familiar, here is the description from the campus webpage:

Lord King God University's campus covers a 4500 acre area. Much of the campus consists of naturally preserved land, but the majority of its property is devoted to the enormous network of buildings. The university's architecture is gigantic for the reason of training students' bodies even while doing the banal task of going to class. Hallways are punctuated by twenty-foot deep pits; professors will occasionally be substituted with Muscle Mimics who must first be defeated for the real professor to appear; even the students' desks are huge, and the seats are equipped with a mechanism that punches occupants. This mechanism can only be endured by making one's body behave as steel. Those unprepared for the toughness of Lord King God's physical standards will pass out or die upon their first day of attendance. Thus, most accepted applicants are of the Dude Huge variety by default, and are looking to expand their already excellent aesthetic-athletic lifestyle.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 12:04:02 PM »

Are you afraid of growing older
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »

I look back fondly of my days of studying INdependent VIdcons at Lord King God university. If you aren't familiar, here is the description from the campus webpage:

Any relation to the image in your sig

xzbobzx
Level 0

Yannic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »

Somewhere like this, with a desk somewhere of course:

sanwayzar
Level 0

Game Director at Game-O-Gami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »

One where my computer doesn't break. Typing using a joy2key thing because the S D F keys are dead... -_-' (and have to wait to get a new USB keyboard, and this is a laptop so it won't be comfortable either)

EDIT: oh, also ↓ is dead ._.'
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 12:59:38 PM »

Neural interface
Food tube
Drink tube
Poo tube
Piss tube

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
dany69burton
Level 0

Do you want a disease?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:38 PM »

I'm not sure if I would still be creative if I lived in a paradise, but I suppose a nice big desk with a good chair with no clutter lying around would be pretty good. Not having a day job would be pretty handy too

░░
███░░
░░░░░
░░███
░░░░░
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »

Somewhere where I could work forever without worrying about money & making a living.  Tired

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
JaeJaeAgogo
Level 0

Just gotta do it.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »

The thing that inspires me is just knowing that there's someone paying attention who wants to see what I make. My ideal place to work is my apartment, since I can isolate myself and really focus, following a self made schedule.

It's crazy knowing I made these with my own hands: https://soundcloud.com/jaejaeagogo
WJHollyART
Level 0

Software Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »

I like office environments when they're low pressure.  I once worked as a programming lead in an environment where I had my own office, a computer built to specs that I determined, the software suites I suggested, whatever peripherals I needed.  The office had about 8'x5' area in front of the desk where I could just get up and pace around if I needed to think, a couple stim objects (stress balls, beads), and a pretty big window that showed an abrupt view of the neighboring building but still allowed some sunlight to pour in.  The wall opposite of the giant window was a big white board for writing ideas and (at the boss's request) the work flow as I moved through projects.

A lot of that was what I would consider an optimal design/programming environment (though I would add a water cooler and snack basket) but there were occasional hiccups, like the boss becoming more overbearing over time (despite knowing nothing about the process of software development), having multiple projects piled on top of each other with the expectation that none would detract time from the other, and at one point a timecard machine was put in my office straight out of the 60's which made a loud metal CLANG sound every minute.

mcErik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »

No idea who's cabin that is. But that's more or less where I think I'd like to be doing my indie game dev. I live in San Francisco now so it's kind of nothing like that. Not sure how realistic that would be, I'd need to make sure I had an internet connection there. Truthfully though, even if I did live somewhere like that, I probably would still not leave my place for days and just stay home by my computer working.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic