Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:28:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeads Or Fails - A party game about keeping your head or removing others
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heads Or Fails - A party game about keeping your head or removing others  (Read 3022 times)
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »

Heads Or Fails

Introduction:

Hello all you beautiful people. I decided to create a devlog for my game as I make progress. I know this is a great place to show what you've done and receive great feedback.

The Game:

Heads Or Fails is a multiplayer party game where each game-mode has one main objective, don't lose your head. There will be two modes. The first is a fighting(?) type mode. You'll be able to use your attacks, weapons and maybe powerups to try to take off your opponent's head. One thing that I want to achieve with this game is to have the violence come off more like Looney Tunes instead of Mortal Kombat.

During the fight and other modes, your limbs may and probably will come off. Don't you worry though, because you have the ability to reattach your limbs OR any limbs you find on the ground. If you decide you rather pick up the limb to use as a weapon you can do that too or you can pick up a weapon/item and use it as a limb. Your movement speed also changes based on the number of legs you have or don't have. Plus, if you're missing a limb, you could always try to grab one off an opponent or just grab the opponent to throw them.

The other mode is a game-show that has the players doing the different mini-games. As you can guess, the game show will be called: "Heads Or Fails"

Mini-Games:

Hangman:

A fun twist on a classic game. You know the rules and how to play, but when your guess is wrong, your player loses a limb but if you get it right, everyone else loses a limb. Player who gets the last letter survives while everyone else explodes into pieces.

Build A Body:

The round starts with everyone as just a head. There are limbs scattered around and it's a race to see who can build their body first.

BasketHead:

An easier version of basketball. Hit your opponents, pick up their head and throw it in the basket. First one to the set score wins.

Headless Horseman

All players start off with no head. One player is randomly selected to be the headless horseman and is given the pumpkinhead as a result. For each second you keep your head on, you gain a point.

Balloon Head

It's basically Hot Potato but with your head. One player is randomly selected to have their head turned into a balloon. They must hit someone else to switch the balloon to them before it pops. (I am thinking about changing this to where all player's heads are turned into  balloons. A pickup of some kind will spawn randomly in the level and it becomes a chase to get it to deflate your head.)

Other mini-games:

There will be more, I just don't want to give them all away right now.

Pictures/Gifs

NOTE: All assets are free models I downloaded. They won't be in the released game. I'm just using them for now until I can somehow find a 3D modeller/animator who is willing to hop on the project.

This is just to show that your legs affect your speed and animations in the way you move. (Not all moving animations are done)

You can pick up other player's limbs.

Hangman Mode:

Headless Horseman:

Balloon Head Mode:
(This is a gif, not a still image)

I got bored

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:33:15 PM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Also I know that profit sharing is not exactly the most ideal position for a 3D modeller but if know anyone willing to do so, please shoot me a PM. I'd love to be able to stop using random free models and have a consistent look with everything.

Trying to score with the other player's head.

Try to throw players off the edge if you can grab them. Make sure you're not facing them and that they don't have limbs or else they can attack you.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:26:26 AM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »

SpearHead:

The objective is to use your spear to take out the other player's head. I'm not sure if I should lock it so only your head can be taken off or any limb can be removed. I'll have to playtest it to see what is more fun.

With this mini-game, I'm not sure if I should go top down view or side view. Here are my thoughts:

Topdown: Easy to visually keep track of all the players and spears.

Sideview: This might be better visually. However, a wall would block the camera. What I could do is either disable the mesh on the wall that is infront of the camera OR I could remove all walls. That way if the spear goes out of bounds, it will reappear above the players and fall down, potentially taking someone out.

Any thoughts?

Last Head Standing

I've always wanted to make a mini-game like this. All players must try to not fall behind and avoid objects. This mode will definitely take some tweaking to figure out what's not too easy and not too hard. I'm thinking about making it an endless mode till one person is the winner or maybe have multiple winners if they make it to the end.

Cannonball

You control a cannon and a player. The objective of the mini-game is to use your cannon to take out the players while watching out for theirs.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:08:46 AM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »

Updated Cannon mini-game.

Now there are 4 treasure chests. They will randomly spawn throughout the game.

Red - Makes your ball bigger.
Blue - Freezes other boats.
Green - Makes player smaller.
Purple - Shoots two cannonballs in two directions.

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »

I didn't do much work this weekend, yesterday was my birthday. Woo! So there was a bunch of stuff happening. Today I got the power ups for the cannon mini-game to work.

Red Chest - Bigger Ball

Green Chest - Bigger Players

Yellow Chest - Shield

Blue Chest - Freeze Boats

Rainbow Chest - Random Power

I have some ideas for different stages, but I'll work on that later once I find a modeller.

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »

I started work on the fighting mode.

Currently, you can attack, grab a player and throw the player. I also made a level to test around in. I call it The Highway (so original  Roll Eyes )

The Highway
(The cars only spawn this fast to show it off. It will be slower to give players a chance to move around and fight)

Pick up a player

Throw a player

There's a few tweaks/bugs I need to do then I'll continue on with implementing the rest of the moves.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:06:44 PM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »

I've been working on stuff that you necessarily can't see.

One thing you can see is I have now added that if you get your guess wrong in Hangman, you go back to your spot. There's a few more things left to do with the mini-game. I need to determine when the last player wins, what happens when they do and the option to choose the number of letters the word will have. Once that is done, the mini-game is fully complete gameplay wise.

One thing that I want to do is have a light above each player that only turns on when it's your turn so you know who's turn it is.

Here is a gif of being put back to your position:

Here is a gif of the player order being randomized so player 1 isn't always first.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:56:45 AM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic