Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:10:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Djur] A sci-fi fable
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [Djur] A sci-fi fable  (Read 11694 times)
Rognirim
Level 0

Concept artist

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »

[Djur] development log

Introduction

[DJUR] is a sci-fi fable currently in development, focusing on narrative and atmosphere. You manage a place of respite deep in the woods that have overtaken the previous infrastructure, as you go about your days encountering creatures and individuals seeking a moments rest from their pilgrimage. Through their stories, factual or mythical, you learn of the world and what has transpired before your time. Through the game you explore what it means to be human, and what it takes to transcend beyond our flaws.

The game tells the story of one particular place in the world of [Djur]. A small camp, built around old relics, large pylons one of which looms over your camp. Over the span of a few short days, you meet all kinds of people, either just passing through, or drawn to the ominous pylons for reasons they don't fully understand. The citizens of [Djur] are flawed creatures, and many turn to superstition in their quest to find any meaning in their world, being surrounded by technology they do not understand, nor trust.

It will not always be clear who you can help, how you can help them, or even if they want any help at all. Some might simply want to talk for a while. As each day runs towards it's end, you have to prioritize who you spend time with, and who you choose to help. There's not always a solution to every problem, and not always a problem to solve. [Djur] is fundamentally a game about listening and understanding people, to see their flaws and to see their world through them.

Gameplay

Each day you will have to choose what you want to prioritize as you won't have time to do it all. What you do choose to focus on will affect the setting and npcs in upcoming days, revealing different information about the game world and the colossal pylon looming over the surrounding forest. Interacting with the travelers arriving at the respite may prove puzzling, and it's up to you to figure out what stories to believe and what to reject. Throughtout [Djur] you aquire old technology, which can be disassembled to uncover new truths about the world.

I'm currently the game's only artist working as a part of a 3-man team. The project has been going for a couple of months and I thought I'd start sharing some content Smiley Being located in Sweden we take quite a lot of inspiration from our scandinavian environments, and we're striving to create a genuine, believable sci-fi setting blended with the coziness found in many fantasy environments. Below you can find some of our initial development work, establishing the feel of Djur, fleshing out ideas and so on. I'll be updating the thread with more gameplay content over the coming months. Hope you like what you see Smiley

Character animation loops that will be randomized as the character composes a tune based on the player's actions.

Concept for a deconstructable device.

Some initial infrastructure thumbnails created to get a better feel for where we wanted to take the game and what would actually fit in our current setting.

Dev blog: http://thesaltuspylon.tumblr.com/
Art blog: http://rognirim.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:54:00 PM by Rognirim » Logged

Art & animation half of Voidwrought. A metroidvania platformer with a hefty dose of cosmic horror, focused around customizable abilities and base building lite.
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »

This looks interesting. And nice pixel art on that first screenshot btw, I'm a sucker for water reflections in pixel art for some reason.

Could you go into more detail about the gameplay? Its not very clear what exactly the gameplay is supposed to be.

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
digitallava
Level 0

Making AUTOMATA.. weird scifi game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »

This is fantastic! I love little details like the randomized musician loop and the art is just dead gorgeous. Do you plan on having the player be controlled directly or something more like sword and sworcery?

I'm currently doing something similar except aiming for a sci-fi American folk-tale rather than a Swedish Fable. And your art is next level so it doesn't even compare.

Best of luck!

Do you or the game have a twitter?

Rognirim
Level 0

Concept artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »

This looks interesting. And nice pixel art on that first screenshot btw, I'm a sucker for water reflections in pixel art for some reason.

Could you go into more detail about the gameplay? Its not very clear what exactly the gameplay is supposed to be.

Glad you like the look of it so far! I'm definitely adding a proper segment on that as soon as possible. As I'm not as involved in the design process as my two co-developers I thought I'd instead have them write something up and explain it further to avoid me putting things out there that might've just been changed or cut.

What I can touch on is that the game will take place over a finite set of days, each providing a timespan where you can explore and interact with the npcs visiting your site. You will have to choose what you want to prioritize each day as you won't have time to do it all. What you do chose to focus on will affect the setting and npcs in upcoming days, revealing different information about the game world. A big focus of the game is storytelling and right now we're tweaking our dialogue system, trying to make interactions between player and npcs in the scene feel dynamic as you move around and explore, avoiding any feel of static "quest-givers" and the like. I'll keep the thread updated as we see how it pans out.

This is fantastic! I love little details like the randomized musician loop and the art is just dead gorgeous. Do you plan on having the player be controlled directly or something more like sword and sworcery?

I'm currently doing something similar except aiming for a sci-fi American folk-tale rather than a Swedish Fable. And your art is next level so it doesn't even compare.

Best of luck!

Do you or the game have a twitter?

Thanks a lot :D Currently the player is controlled directly, you get to move around in the environment and npcs will react to you in different ways depending on your previous interactions with them or the scene. I hope to add more details on the gameplay shortly, but you can read a little bit more above if you'd like!

Your project sounds interesting! I'm always stoked to see more games pop up that take inspiration from local environments and folklore. They usually make for very genuine experiences.

And you can find my Twitter here (mostly art) https://twitter.com/Rognirim
As well as one of our designer's here https://twitter.com/NemoriaMax

Art & animation half of Voidwrought. A metroidvania platformer with a hefty dose of cosmic horror, focused around customizable abilities and base building lite.
SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »

This looks amazing so far, great job! I'm very curious to hear more about gameplay too Smiley

Enrique Ponce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »

Through the game you explore what it means to be human, and what it takes to transcend beyond our flaws.

Very deep concept... I like!

Love the opening GIF.... The ambience captured me right away. Very much looking forward to your progress!
Wishing you all the best!

Film & Video Game Composer
www.enriqueponcemusic.com

Contact at [email protected]
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »

As someone who is bored with combat-based games, this sounds very promising! Doesn't hurt that the art is pretty to look at either :D
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 07:05:52 AM »

Beautiful concept art and solid pixel animation Kiss

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »

Hand Money Left Mock Anger Hand Money Right Shut up and take my moneyyyyyyyyy!

Rognirim
Level 0

Concept artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 02:24:56 PM »

Thanks a lot guys Grin Glad to hear you're liking the look of it so far!

As someone who is bored with combat-based games, this sounds very promising! Doesn't hurt that the art is pretty to look at either :D

Yeah that's where we're coming from as well Smiley There won't be any straight up combat in Djur, but plenty of atmosphere and unique characters to explore.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 01:06:59 AM »

Lurkin

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 03:20:22 AM »

That first screenshots a keeper... Following...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 03:22:08 AM »

Seems nice! Looking forward to hearing American outlets talking about this and saying DUDZHUURRRRR. Tiger

tjuven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 03:29:27 AM »

Wow great stuff, I love the atmosphere you've got going :D

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 06:34:48 AM »

Agree, the first gif is very inviting. I like the time management mechanics you've described, as it makes the choices feel meaningful, and gives incentive and value for replay. Following  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 06:53:37 AM »

Good luck with it, it seems amazing!

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »

Damn son, that first gif look amazing, I'll be waiting for your updates Smiley

nestoriaan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 01:29:17 AM »

Just have to add my voice to the chorus of praise regarding the pixel art. I really like when it is made with such slightly desaturated colours as in your examples. It results in a very nice mood that seem to fit the theme of this game well!

SiJaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 03:03:55 AM »

Atmospherically the first screenshot reminds me of "Another World"  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Looking forward to hear more about the gameplay!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:27:10 AM by SiJaf » Logged

The Moose
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 04:00:28 AM »

Definitely would like to hear more about the gameplay, but I like the art and I'm excited to hear more about the story/ideas!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic