Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:11:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThinking on creating a Skyrim/Fallout 4/Fable like game in 2D
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Thinking on creating a Skyrim/Fallout 4/Fable like game in 2D  (Read 4059 times)
GSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2016, 03:14:30 PM »

- So I have been thinking about this lately.
I want to create a game like Fallout 4/Skyrim/Fable in 2D.
This is a huge project and it would require tons of work which I understand.
So my plan is 3 years of development to finally release full version of the game.

- I also have 5.5 years of previous experiences building games/websites/software so this is very serious for me.
Though I have never tried to create a professional game as in terms of this one.

- What do you guys think? What steps would you take towards this decision and what would you do if you were into my position?
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:34:36 PM »

First, I'd decide what the actual core gameplay mechanic is going to be, build a small prototype, and see if it's really fun.

Then, I'd start by sketching out roughly how many assets of each kind I'm going to need for the game, and use that to derive the size and distribution of my development team.

Next, I'd start looking for finance to be able to pay my team a living wage for 3 years, and start recruiting.

Finally, I'd make the game.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:44:26 PM by voidSkipper » Logged
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »

You don't have to plan it all out at once. I'd just build the core (starting area, major gameplay elements, etc.) and then just progressively branch out and add on to it over time. It sounds like it'd be a fun pet project to just grow out leisurely and flexibly rather than something to get mired in.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »

I would first make a rough design of the features that the game is going to have, nothing too detailed but something that gives you a clear idea of the things you have to do, this way you know which thing goes first, then I would make a prototype, a simple one that has the core elements you want in the game, then I would show this to some people to see if this is something that people like, if it is, then I would worry about getting the time and money to make this game. The last part only if your main objective is selling the game and making money, if not, just make the game on your free time as a pet project  Smiley

PapaCheech
Level 0

a canadian game developer.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 05:01:36 AM »

Yep. Agreed with what these folks are saying. Best bet is, find a 2D combat mechanic that you really like, make a little battle arena to test out different weapons, and if you decide you have a fun core, branch out from there.

The biggest problem with making a game like skyrim is producing all the content to fill a world. Maybe you should go the procedural generation route? Less diversity but theoretically infinite content!

Don't let yourself get demotivated by all the "don't take on your dream project" things you read on the internet. However, starting small and scaling up over time is always the best idea. Set your self some milestones so you can make sure you're on track, and who knows where it will take you!

Cheers,
Dan

a canadian game developer.<br /><br />twitter: @papacheech
Alexandre Belmonte
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »

One thing you can do is going the Akalabeth-Ultima 1 route.

Before Lord British made the Ultima series (which is more or less an Skyrim/Fable in 2D), he made Akalabeth, a simpler game with only one dungeon and one city. It served as a skeleton for his posterior game and lots of mechanics and mosters reapeared in Ultima 1, but this time with more cities, NPCs, quests and itens.

Today we have early access so you don't need to ship a game to see the reaction of the players, so there is that too. And I agree with the dudes here, if your core gameplay is good it will be easier to make interesting content after.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »

I actually don't think you understand how much work this is and I doubt you are serious enough for this. Just b/c you are making this 2d doesn't mean you are going to get around the enormous scope of this project you are suggesting. Unless you have a team and millions to spend you are going to have to slash the scope of this.

If I were in your position I would make something much smaller and work up to creating a huge project rather than start there.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic