Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:22:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Godot vs SFML
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Godot vs SFML  (Read 2139 times)
CodeHustler
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2016, 12:49:59 AM »

Making a 2D game with heavy procedural generation. Trying to look at the pros and cons of both. Heard really good stuff about SFML and was wondering how Godot compares. Any input is appreciated!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:16:31 AM »

Well, isn't Godot a whole engine with an editor and everything, while SFML is just a code-based framework upon which custom engines and editors may be written?

I'd say that's a rather stark difference, and probably boils down to some sort of tradeoff—it's probably much easier to tailor and optimise an SFML project to your exact needs, but if Godot can handle what you want, you probably get a lot of neat stuff for free that you don't have to worry about, which can save you time.

Depending on your personal skills, you might not even be able to easily or quickly make your own engine as optimised and smooth-running as the one already present with Godot. The same might go for exporting to multiple platforms, which Godot might simplify (I don't know—I've never used it).

So these are the things you'd probably want to consider. It's not really a fair comparison. They're rather different tools for potentially different purposes. A better comparison would be SDL versus SFML or Unity versus Godot, I think.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic