Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:03:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusiness'Indie motion capture', interested?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 'Indie motion capture', interested?  (Read 930 times)
01F0
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2016, 09:24:31 AM »

Howdy!  Gentleman

I'm thinking about acquiring some mocap gear for my own hobby projects.
While at it, I thought I'd check if any of you would be interested in buying rigged animations.

Something like this:
You are looking for a specific kind of animation for your game, but you can't find it. So you give me the specifics, I'll do the motion capture and rig the model for you. Not advanced AAA stuff with motion actors, but something that works with indie games and on an indie game budget.

Is this something that you would find interesting?

Are most indie devs satisfied with buying animation packages at the Unity Asset Store or equivalent?

Is there anyone here who have tried this kind of contracting? Does it work? Was it fun?
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 02:06:31 AM »

It'd have to be pretty specific stuff, because Mixamo's library is entirely free at the moment. What price would you charge?

I can see there being a market for object interaction type movements, that are too specific to be covered by Mixamo's wide range.

01F0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 08:06:55 AM »

Nice page, they sure have a lot of good animations. Saving that one!

Yeah, it would be very specific stuff!

Let's say you have designed this epic monster that comes dragging on a huge sword. At that point, you'll probably have to limit your design, because it's too specific to find a pre-made animation pack for.

Not sure about the price. I'll turn that question around:

If you were creating a game where you needed, let's say, a couple of specific hand animations that you could get exactly the way you wanted. What would you pay per animation?
ZDeveloper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »

We have a small motion capture system here and we offered it as service years ago and from business point of view it was ok, but not really profitable. On the one hand you have customers, who want to make motion capture, but have no money and on the other hand you have customers with money, but you can't deliever the quality and size of the asked animations.

Of course this is only my experience and my point of view. Perhaps there are others.

I am co-founder of z-software, small indie gamedevelopment studio located in Germany.

Our games:
History in Letters - The Eternal Alchemist (http://z-software.net/site/history-in-letters-the-eternal-alchemist/)
Solar Struggle (www.solarstruggle.com)
Fruitbash (www.fruitbash.com)
Rush on Rome
01F0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »

We have a small motion capture system here and we offered it as service years ago and from business point of view it was ok, but not really profitable. On the one hand you have customers, who want to make motion capture, but have no money and on the other hand you have customers with money, but you can't deliever the quality and size of the asked animations.

Of course this is only my experience and my point of view. Perhaps there are others.

Thanks for sharing!
May I ask if you used a camera based mocap system? Also, did the 'animation clean up' process consume a lot of time, thus making it less profitable?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic