Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:02:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioNeed advice on mixing and mastering
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need advice on mixing and mastering  (Read 1032 times)
1722Tommy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2016, 12:58:08 PM »

So I've been working on a song recently, but I was struggling to make all the different instruments sound good together.  After fiddling around with instrumentation, EQ, stereo width, reverb, limiters and so on, I managed to make it sound somewhat decent.  However, I still think there are ways it could be improved.

If you've got time, I'd really appreciate some feedback on how I could improve the mixing and mastering. It's definitely an area I need to get better at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfrzFZkpnow&feature=youtu.be

If you could give it a listen and suggest changes I could do to make it sound better, that would be swell.  I show off some of the mixing I did for it from 1:42.

Cheers!

Yellowjacket
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »

OK,
So I don't know what you know so I guess this will be just talking and random facts here.  Here are some general observations.

Do you mix on headphones or do you have a set of decent studio monitors?  I have several different speakers:  PA 15inch bins with horns,  Mackie MR5s,  And a set of headphones.

1) Levels.  To my ear, the piano is too loud / hot in the mix and the drums are too far back. Are you using parallel compression on the drums?  The piano also sounds quite wide, like it is occupying too much of the frequency spectrum.  Skinnier sounds will sound phat within the context of a balanced mix. 

2) If you have not already, high pass everything except the kick drum and bass. (I think I hear a bass, I can't tell)  If you boost the kick a bit around 60hz and cut the bass a bit in that same band, your kick will punch more.  I find I like to emphasize 100 - 300 Hz on the bass guitar but it really depends how it sounds in the overall mix.  This is like cooking, mix to taste ^_^

3) Are you aware of problem frequency bands?  Check for pile ups around 500Hz and 1,000 Hz.

4) Complementary EQing.  Are you giving each instrument a unique space to occupy? 

5) Are you using automation?  Do you pull instruments forward when you want them to be more present and pulling them back when they need to retreat into the background?

6) Composition / Registration:  Are you making sure to not have all instruments occupy the same / a similar register.  This complicates mixing considerably! 

These are just some coles notes pointers from someone who has been learning about mixing the past year.  I hope it helps Smiley 

[EDIT]  Upon closer listening, I hear a clear issue with the rhrodes piano and the 'grand piano'.  They're competing in the same frequency band and cluttering up the low mids.  The 'grand piano' is playing a bassline so you could reorchestrate that on a upright bass and double it with the grand piano.  Maybe get it into a lower register and give the rhodes piano some space.  With that rhythm piano track, you can high pass it to show off the overtones / attack and let a bass guitar occupy the lows.

1722Tommy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Yellowjacket.  I've got a basic understanding of mixing and mastering (EQ, automation, frequency etc.), but after reading your reply I think I'll have to do some more research.

I mix with AKG headphones and a pair of Logitech speakers.  The speakers aren't necessarily designed for mixing, but they're decent quality.

I've started making changes to my mix and it's already starting to sound more focused.  I think I'll need a bit more time to digest some of your advice, but your points are exactly what I needed to hear.  Some of the other songs I've made didn't seem to need as much mixing, but this one has been a real struggle for one reason or another  Shrug
dlt.fm
Level 0

I make atmospheric music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »

Hi there,

First of all, it took a lot of guts to post a raw mix to this forum, and for that you deserve a ton of respect.

Like Yellowjacket, I don't know exactly how deep your understanding goes, so please take what I'm about to say with that in mind.  Most of this will be general best practices that will hopefully guide you to an easier time mixing—so that extensive mastering is almost unnecessary.

I had listened to your track before you took it down, and you've got a cool track with a lot going on.  Aside from what Yellowjacket has already said about writing parts in non-conflicting registers, I think your mixing could benefit from more time spent on the front end, before you even begin to EQ, automate, or add effects).

I would save the file as a new project, then bypass all of your EQs and automation, and start over from zero to get everything really close to where it should be in terms of levels.  There's a pretty neat trick for doing this quickly using pink or grey noise as a level reference, where you can get all of the instruments dialed into a reasonable mix in just a couple of minutes.  Here's one video that explains it in a nutshell:

It's a scientific way to quickly get things to fit pretty well against each other.  If you don't have the ears of a professional mastering engineer (and really, how many of us do?), I find it works a treat.

Once you have your levels set reasonably close, now you might go through each track applying very minimal compression (as inserts) to get transients controlled and to have each track sit even tighter in the mix.  This should be subtle, though, as you don't want to take the life out of each track, you only want to add a little bit of control—don't reduce peaks by any more than 2 or 3dB.  You should find at this point that your mix is already sounding pretty good.

Now, you can add some EQ.  As Yellowjacket already mentioned, use a slow high pass filter at about 100Hz on everything but the kick drum and bass instruments.  This is such an essential task,  it's worth saving this action as an EQ preset to save you some keystrokes and mouse clicks. Seriously, do it to everything.  For a lot of instruments, you'll be able to pull this up to 250Hz with no noticeable impact on the sound, but it will reduce the energy of the noise in that bass area of the spectrum, which means the listener's speakers don't have to work so hard, so they can more effectively reproduce the higher frequency material.

This all might seem like a lot of brainless grunt work, but once you get the process dialed in, you can usually get a very complex mix dialed in and well-controlled in less than a half hour.  Then, you can start working with imaging, EQ, level automation, and reverb (in that order), and you'll find any changes you make here are much easier to assess.  Also, you'll be less ear- and mix-fatigued, which will really assist in your audio decision making.

I remember seeing a lot of EQ boosts in your video.  Try to avoid this, as it messes with the harmonic spectrum of the sound.  Instead, use judicious cutting where you can—use the analyzer in your EQs to scan your tracks and see where 2 instruments are competing in the same frequency range, then try cutting one of those instruments on the low end of their shared range, and the other on the high end of their shared range—again, usually no more than 2-4dB is necessary, with a fairly soft Q.  This will increase clarity of both of the instruments, without introducing any extra "unnatural" harmonics.  You usually find that you don't need to adjust gain after these cuts, because it usually makes these instruments easier to hear and differentiate.

Also, a good practice in EQ is to cut narrow, and boost wide.  Explained better than I could here: http://www.hometracked.com/2008/01/31/eq-cut-narrow-boost-wide/

I hope I've explained these things well enough to give you a good idea of what I mean.  Feel free to PM me if anything wasn't clear—it's obvious I like talking about this stuff!  Smiley

Again, much respect for sharing.   Gentleman

Good luck with the cue!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:46:18 PM by dlt.fm » Logged

David Lopez Tichy - dlt.fm
Composer for film & interactive

soundcloud: davidlopeztichy
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »

Thanks for that pink noise video link dlt.fm, that is really awesome!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic