Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:38:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)[SOLVED] Pixel art textures filtering poorly at distance [3d]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Pixel art textures filtering poorly at distance [3d]  (Read 985 times)
Luminous Peaks
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:34:07 PM »

Super newbie question here, but is there any sort of camera/texture/quality setting I can fiddle with in order to stop the really ugly/distracting horizontal lines that form on my textures once they hit a certain point relative to the camera, or is this just a natural issue that arises when rendering super low resolution textures at this angle? Example gif below.

Also, any tutorials or other tips about working with this sort of art style (pixeled textures, low-poly geometry) are appreciated, as it feels like it's asking for a lot of technical problems.

Thanks in advance! Hand Thumbs Up Right

e: lol forgot to mipmap. Thanks Sakar!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:09:29 PM by Luminous Peaks » Logged
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »

That's what you get from "pixeled" or nearest neighbor sampled textures -- more advanced texture sampling exists just to alleviate problems like this one. They tend to look smoother in general though which might not be what you wish to accomplish.
Luminous Peaks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 05:23:07 PM »

That's what you get from "pixeled" or nearest neighbor sampled textures -- more advanced texture sampling exists just to alleviate problems like this one. They tend to look smoother in general though which might not be what you wish to accomplish.

Sounds "fun!" Is there a good jumping-off point for finding and using those sampling methods, or is it more in the "writing your own shaders" level of technical skill? Thank you either way for the prompt response.

Here were my texture import settings for the gif in the OP, for reference:

e: I should also clarify that I've tried Bi/Trilinear filtering options, but as you said, that introduces a lot of muddy artifacting to the textures, which definitely looks very PS1-authentic, but is unfortunately not what I'm looking for on this project. Sad
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:05:24 PM by Luminous Peaks » Logged
Sakar
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 07:29:54 PM »

You want to enabled mip maps on your textures. Mip mapping creates lower res versions of your textures and uses them on distant polygons to reduce pixel flicker like in your gif.
Luminous Peaks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »

You want to enabled mip maps on your textures. Mip mapping creates lower res versions of your textures and uses them on distant polygons to reduce pixel flicker like in your gif.

Facepalm Oops! Yeah, that fixed it. I think I accidentally took mipmaps off at the same time I did something else that was distorting the textures and conflated the two. Thanks a billion!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic