Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:24:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeVoice Acting Microphone
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Voice Acting Microphone  (Read 1551 times)
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2016, 06:43:45 AM »

Hello guys!

So I'd like to give voice acting a shot. As I do my own art, I'd be more independent as far as game development is concerned. I'm just really attracted to the idea of doing good voice acting. I wonder how I'll overcome to challenges of being a good voice actor.

Anyway, I'm looking into buying a microphone for the actual voice acting. There are so many out there, it's really hard to tell which one to buy. I'd like to buy a second hand one on ebay.

I'm not looking for something off the chart but something good enough so that I can record something equivalent to more recent adventure games as far as the actual voice acting. I want the sound to sound good enough to be a in a game where people won't go: "This sounds cheap."

Could you provide suggestions based on your own experiences please? Perhaps samples of your own work with your microphone would be appropriate too!

Thanks!

Bauxite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 01:33:34 AM »

I'll admit I don't have much experience with it, but the Samson Meteor Mic is generally considered a good and cheap starter microphone, made specifically for voice. It's easy to use because of its USB connector as well. (but: some people will tell you that you shouldn't buy USB microphones because of integrated DACs and such, but in most cases it's good enough)

▶  Current project: The Zipper (Devblog)  ◀
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 02:52:58 AM »

Thanks for the reply!

I actually bought a Snowball microphone. From what I understand, top of the line is Blue Yeti but I thought it was too expensive (it's more than twice as much than the Snowball). There's also at2020 but that's also fairly expensive.

Word of advice: do not buy microphones on ebay. Amazon sells them new and most of the time they're cheaper too!

eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »

You want Sound quality, right?
The best a mic can get.

So the advice I learned is that if you want to record, you need to reduce the reverberations of your voice.

.placing luggage and other large oddly shaped objects with reduce the reverb. If you are feeling particularly ostentatious you can coat the room in egg cartons. The sound will naturally cancel with it self. This makes your audio of a much greater quality than anything you can get from just a microphone.

And to be real fancy, get a handful of those pyramids you see on the walls of recording studios.
Bear in mind this is all relative to the terrible sound quality you get in a perfectly cubic room with nothing in it. aka what you hear in an empty house.
neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »

I guess any microphone will fit your category that is above 100 usd. You can find cheaper, but like everything else, it requires personal testing (or checking demos made by other people on youtube).

The high quality effect of most voice recordings usually come after its processing. You need to shape your voice using audio software (Audacity comes in mind) accompanied with VST effects. Include classical EQing, compressing, probably denoisers and other stuff can turn your audio into HQ babe. Even if you're dealing with excessive reverberation, as eerr mentioned, you could use something like Acon Digital DeVerberate vst which does impressive magic.

I won't be first to say this but it's about how you use tools. Tools by themselves won't make magic happen.

Oh yeah,
You can get portable mic which is super handy. From personal experience I can recommend Zoom H1 recorder.  

PS: Whopz, I've skipped the fact that OP already bought microphone. So, how's Snowball feels in the field, Zizka?

PirateFish
Level 0

:(){ :|: & };:

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »

Just random tips, but get a pop filter - it really does wonders, and this is quite useful.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

PS: Whopz, I've skipped the fact that OP already bought microphone. So, how's Snowball feels in the field, Zizka?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Snowball works like a charm and really affordable. Definitely recommended.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic