Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:28:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSemblance: playdough world puzzle platformer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Semblance: playdough world puzzle platformer  (Read 7899 times)
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:19:10 AM »

Semblance is a platformer where you deform a playdough world, and mould your character in order to solve puzzles. http://semblance-game.com/

On a planet where everything is soft and bouncy, an unwelcome invader appears, bringing with it hard and unmoving material.

Original Post

Semblance is a platformer where you deform a playdough world, and mould your character in order to solve puzzles.

On a planet where everything is soft and bouncy, an unwelcome invader appears, bringing with it hard and unmoving material.

You are Squish, a being made out of the very material of the world - willed into existence to protect the world from the unwelcome visitors.

----------------------------

We're implementing the above art into the game now, but here are some gameplay gifs to show how it all works (with placeholder art).

Character Deforming:

World moulding

We'll upload a build real soon!

-------

We're a little South African/Kenyan studio making our first game after we graduated from university.Follow us on Twitter or Facebook if you're into that.

Feedback is always welcome <3
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:28:06 AM by Benjamming » Logged

Luminous Peaks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 11:33:19 AM »

I like this a lot! Love the header art, and the deformation mechanic reminds me of the jelly blocks that show up in Yoshi's Island/Story, which I always thought were really fun to play around with. Is the game going to be level-based, or have more freeform exploration (or has that decision being made later)? Definitely looking forward to it either way, keep up the good work.
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:07:24 AM »

Hey thanks!  Smiley

Hadn't seen those jelly blocks before - it's a great reference! Smiley

It's going to be kind of a mix! We're basing it heavily, in terms of level design, on Braid. There will be an overworld that players can access puzzles from once they've seen them before. This is due to the puzzles being tricky often, so players will want to come back.

In terms of the actual levels, it's pretty linear right now, but we want to make the layout a bit more interesting so players can explore a bit more Smiley.

Thanks again! Smiley

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »

Update 1

We've been working on a bunch of stuff this week, redesigning a few of the levels and putting in an overworld system.

The programmer has been working on the character quite a bit.

He redid the system for procedural animation so it's easier to add animations:

He also started work on making sure the character shape follows the contour of the ground. This is early days though.

The artist started playing around with ideas for levels at nighttime too.

Dustin van Wyk
Level 0

Composer/Songwriter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »

Really dig the mechanics of this , the aesthetic reminds me a lot of 'The Floor Is Jelly' , which is awesome  Smiley
Keen to see how this pans out  Coffee

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »

The mechanics of this game will go a long way for puzzle / tactical strategies. The fact that the whole world is at your disposal will keep this game very interesting!

Following this one, for sure Smiley

Keep up the great work!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »

I've seen a gif of this on twitter!

What I love about this project is you take a genre that is completely beaten to death and do something interesting with the basic design it offers. It tickles my brain! Looks fun, good luck finishing it! :D

The art is visually interesting and good looking, but I don't know if it's my broken screen, or the night time ground looks a bit off.

Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »

I love this so much.

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »

Really dig the mechanics of this , the aesthetic reminds me a lot of 'The Floor Is Jelly' , which is awesome  Smiley
Keen to see how this pans out  Coffee

Thanks so much, Dustin! The Floor is Jelly is a big inspiration for us on so many levels Smiley. Hope to see you drop by a Make Games SA meetup sometime if you're based in Joburg :D.

The mechanics of this game will go a long way for puzzle / tactical strategies. The fact that the whole world is at your disposal will keep this game very interesting!

Thanks! Yeah at the moment a lot of the puzzles are cool, but I'm super excited to see what sort of stuff the system throws out. We've already run across fun ideas like "what happens if the world throws you up", so we're keen to see more pop up! Really keen to explore some really lateral thinking stuff Smiley.

I've seen a gif of this on twitter! What I love about this project is you take a genre that is completely beaten to death and do something interesting with the basic design it offers. It tickles my brain! Looks fun, good luck finishing it! :D The art is visually interesting and good looking, but I don't know if it's my broken screen, or the night time ground looks a bit off.

Glad to see our endless posting is working XD

Oh man so great that you see it that way! Our design process often is just looking at puzzles in famous/standard platformers and seeing how a squashy character/world could make it more interesting different, so it's awesome that you see that coming through Smiley.

Thanks for the art thoughts! Will mention it to the team, I think it could just be that the purple looks alot more apparent with the night time background?

I love this so much.

Thanks - we love you! <3  Well, hello there!

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 09:42:02 AM »

Update 2

This week was about redrafting the levels to be a bit less linear and more exploratory, in addition to breaking the puzzles up into a smaller sets that made sense for the overworld. We also started dressing the levels in game, in addition to coding a bunch more stuff on the deformable platforms.

Everything is looking more polished:

The dressing is working really nicely!

SiJaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 02:15:05 PM »

I really like the concept!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »

I really like the concept!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks! Well, hello there! Kiss

Tyrus Peace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »

Excellent art style! I imagine you're already planning on this, but rounding out the corners of your world would go a *long* way in making it look a bit more cohesive and, uh, doughy!

Having the character cling to corners, as they walk off them could look very cool, too. As you are probably aware of the portion of the character that's grounded at any moment, it seems pretty doable!

Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »

Good idea, man.

You have all to get success with this game!

Finding what I can do better
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 12:03:05 PM »

helllllll yeahhhhh

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 01:52:19 PM »

This looks really nice !

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »

Excellent art style! I imagine you're already planning on this, but rounding out the corners of your world would go a *long* way in making it look a bit more cohesive and, uh, doughy!

Having the character cling to corners, as they walk off them could look very cool, too. As you are probably aware of the portion of the character that's grounded at any moment, it seems pretty doable!

Thanks! Yup, already in the process of doing it! It's only tricky to do because once you deform the platform, it can mess up real fast! Cukia, the programmer, has a full time job of wrangling the platforms and character :D We're also making it so that whenever you're on a deformable platform it'll dent/impress a little so that it feels soft!

Clinging to corners is something we definitely want to do, thanks for the idea! :D Just another technical road block! Here's our thinking on it:

You have all to get success with this game!
helllllll yeahhhhh
This looks really nice !

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks for all the encouraging words! ^_^

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »

I always find it so enlightening to see how developers find their own creative ways to design environments / mechanics / etc.

Really awesome to see the backend of the design! Thank you for sharing! :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 10:11:15 AM »

wow, using playdough for the world and character is really a great idea. You'll have a lot of fun possibilities for gameplay mechanics. Looking forward to see what kind of stuff you'll come up with!

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »

Really awesome to see the backend of the design! Thank you for sharing! :D

No problem! Will try to share more for you Smiley.

wow, using playdough for the world and character is really a great idea. You'll have a lot of fun possibilities for gameplay mechanics. Looking forward to see what kind of stuff you'll come up with!

Thanks! We have a bunch of cool/simple puzzles and a couple complex interactions. Keen to throw a demo onto here soon Smiley. Also long term, keen to see what crazy stuff the mechanic leads to Smiley.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic