Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:15:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSemblance: playdough world puzzle platformer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Semblance: playdough world puzzle platformer  (Read 7900 times)
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2016, 04:29:13 AM »

Great to see your updates, as usual ^^

Just stopping by to say keep up the good work! And, since it's Thanksgiving here in the States:

Thank you for being a developer. We as gamers and fellow developers appreciate your hard work  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2016, 04:24:39 AM »

Great to see your updates, as usual ^^

Just stopping by to say keep up the good work! And, since it's Thanksgiving here in the States:

Only saw this now! Thanks for the support, bud! <3

Update 9

We've started working with our sound designer and musician for the project now, and they're producing amazing stuff! Here's some of the sounds we've got so far. We love how visceral and chunky the sounds are Smiley

From December we'll have a whole squad of people on the project so we should be posting updates more regularly Smiley.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:14:34 AM by Benjamming » Logged

Nordanvinden
Level 2

Indie game developer from Stockholm Sweden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »

Looks really cool! That playdough-looking-feeling is sweet. Great work  Hand Thumbs Up Right Grin Hand Thumbs Up Left

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 02:01:40 AM »

We've been concepting what creatures/critters in the world might look like. We tried to also make them look squashy and able to change shape.

cukiakimani
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »

Hi, I'm the programmer of this here fine game.

Thought I’d share some gifs and outline my journey to get the character to contour along the deformable surface. The decision to allow the player to contour to the surface was to fix the buggy feel of climbing up slopes (which was pretty much just jumping up them).

I started with a simple, raycast from the bottom vertices of the character, find the floor hit position, and place the vert at hit position.

Basic scenarios were working. But steep slopes were problematic. If you increase the ray length then the shape extended way too far down the slope. So, I rotated the player and raycast down based on the surface normal.

That sucked because if the corners couldn’t find a position then you’d just snap to the rectangle.

So far, this was just visual shape, the collider was still a rectangle and that was impractical because at steep slopes where the collider was and what you could visually was way off. I took drastic measures and decided to change the collider as I contoured the visual shape.
I start with an initial raycast down to find the highest surface point (yellow circle). That’s the anchor point. Then I iterate from the point raycasting at negative the normal of the previous point. Basically the idea is that the surface shouldn’t be thaaaaat different.

Movement was slick, collider was changing, performance was good.

That was the next challenge was angling the character based on the surface. A few of the previous gifs show some experiments into how I tried going about to angling the sides based on the surfaces.

I went with, if the normals of the surface of the sides were similar then I’d just choose one normal and rotate the verts based on that side. Otherwise to try and get the top verts to curve based on having both sides different was too complicated for what it would add.

Last step was to add the eyes. I travel along the floor verts until the length is similar to the x length of the base rectangle eye position. Then place the eye above that postion based on the normal of the surface at a distance equivalent to the base height.

This part was funny. Loved the crazy eyes bug.

The system is far from perfect. The biggest thing for me was trying to shoe horn around all the other systems built into the character like the animation system, collision system, etc. It’s a raycasting masterpiece. LOL. :’D

If you’ve got any ideas, thoughts, anything. If you have good articles on collision detection, platformer movement, physics, anything you think I should read. Let me know.
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »

We've been playing around with some snowy areas.

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 12:50:42 AM »

Been following this on twitter so it's nice to find it here. Loving the detail you're going into and it's great to see more of the process of how it's all being done and approached.

Hey! Thanks so much! <3 Glad the process is interesting! Smiley

In some great news to start the new year, we were named Alpha Beta Gamer's 'Most Fun Gameplay mechanic' of 2016, which is pretty neat! Smiley

We'll get back to updating things here pretty soon Smiley

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »

Update 10

We've been trying out some different directions for our 4 world settings. Here's our rain forest/swamp setting Smiley

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 02:05:12 AM »

Hey all!

Update 11

Been iterating on the level dressing a bit. Going for a lot of elements, but keeping the elements themselves abstracted.

Been making the different platform types feel distinct:

Gameplay with elements anchored to deformable terrain is proving to be really fun too Smiley.

fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »

The idea of mechanics is very good.

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »

Ok, this just keeps getting better and better! From your art to pushing gameplay. Can't wait to actually play this My Word!
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »

Ok, this just keeps getting better and better! From your art to pushing gameplay. Can't wait to actually play this

Thanks for the comment! Keeps us going!  Gentleman

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »

Hard to keep posting everywhere all the time Epileptic ! Sorry we don't update here more D:

Here's a blog about what we were up to in January.

Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »

So we officially have a teaser trailer and website!

http://semblance-game.com/

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »

Love your logo! The teaser was good but felt a little flat in terms of sound Shrug But then that could just be me. Either way I'm glad to see the game progressing Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 03:20:34 AM »

Woah! I'd totally missed this game. So cool! What an excellent set of core mechanics. And very nice art too. c:

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:56 AM »

I think the ambient music works really well for the game! Far more "ethereal" of sorts, and less your standardized platformer background material. Great stuff!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »

@nu_muso Glad you like our logo! Smiley Thanks for the feedback! What part about it felt flat? We'll iterate on that for future trailers!

@Prinsessa Glad you found us, and thanks so much!

@amanfr01 Thanks for the support as usual! <3 We're very excited about the music - we're playing around with some dynamic music at the moment which evolves as you play.

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2017, 09:08:01 AM »

The music is very nice, it's just that I felt that it wasn't creating a particular mood. The music in your gameplay video does this well. It's got more melody and harmony but then again I'm partial to that Smiley I'm glad to hear that you're thinking of using dynamic music. It will definitely make the game even more immersive Toast Right
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »

@nu_muso A fair point! Our composer really likes to build into great feelings - so it was tough to get that into a small teaser Smiley.

There will definitely be more melody and harmony in the final game Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic