Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:51:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForge On - procedurally generated​ open world space combat sim
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Forge On - procedurally generated​ open world space combat sim  (Read 13798 times)
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2017, 08:02:35 AM »

Movement looks pretty smooth! Sound effects will definitely go a long way toward making it feel more substantial.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »

Testing one of the first weapon variants; currently only shooting at asteroids but I hope to have something more fun to shoot at soon. 

I spent a good chunk of the week working on my enemy build and AI systems (more the former than the latter).  Hoping to have that up and running soon.  Need something to shoot at to make a playable version worthwhile.  I'm trying to construct the system in such a way that it will allow me to adjust how the engines are created after the fact.  I'm still not sure I want them to be individual parts.  (You may recall that conversation Pixel Noise)

Movement looks pretty smooth! Sound effects will definitely go a long way toward making it feel more substantial.

Thanks!  Yeah... definitely up there on my todo list.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »

Random ship generation this week, so that I will have something to work with when programming the AI.  Movement code should now be at the point where it just needs a bit of polish.  I'm very happy about this, you have no idea!

I have decided on what to do regarding the engine generation.  The engines will be components just like weapons or shields.  The player will pick up engine cores rather than the whole engine.  These cores when placed together will generated a more complex engine structure similar to what I have in the video here.  I would like to have some mobility in the engines as well so I may end up making a component that will direct thrust, not sure on this yet but it would be a nice addition.

So much to do, so much to do.  Anyway random enemy ship generation is going well.  Check out some of these new procedural creations.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »

Those procedural ships look lovely, do you enforce symmetry? (I haven't seen any non-symmetric, hence the question)
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2017, 03:30:59 PM »

Those procedural ships look lovely, do you enforce symmetry? (I haven't seen any non-symmetric, hence the question)

Thanks Zireael!  Yes, I'm currently enforcing symmetry; it's not strictly necessary but I haven't thought of a way to make nice looking ships that are asymmetrical.  Did you have some thoughts on that?  There will certainly be nothing stopping the player from making asymmetrical ships Grin.
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »

Added another part variation, still some work to do but I'm happy with it so far. 

The parts of the game I have been working on the last little while have primarily been precursor to work on the AI.  Getting ships generating, engines working and placing correctly and so on.  So I really hope to be able to get some AI work done in the next couple weeks.  Once I have combat working and maybe a temporary inventory system up and running (and some sfx) I will be looking at making a test build to see what everyone thinks of the core mechanics.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »

First look at adding components to the ships.  Should give you some idea of how engines will be added.  Ultimately this is what I decided to go with.  The engine cores have to be redone and the engines will eventually only cover the area they are assigned.  One jet will be assigned to each core.  Obviously work to be done there.

What do you think?

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:27 PM »

I think this is a good approach to the components. This seems a bit clearer than the first iteration - I liked how open and exploratory that iteration was, but I think this will be more intuitive for players.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »

Thanks man.  I definitely want it to be intuitive.  Obviously I have some kinks to work out yet.

I'm looking at making the nodes in the connection area upgradable which should add some more interest.

Additionally the thrusters would not cover the whole area. Unless the connection area is covered in engine cores.
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

Thrusters are now built based on core placement!  Each core will provide thrust based on where and how it's positioned.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 04:22:10 PM »

Follow the leader.  Finally got the enemy ships generating with engines and started working on their AI.  Enemy AI is a little simple at the moment but it has to start somewhere, should be far more interesting in the coming weeks.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »

Second pass at the enemy ship AI. The AI is on the right.  It's been a little tricky to get working because all of the movement is physically based, so enemy follows the same rules of the player. 

Anyone have experience working on this sort of AI?  I like where I have it but I would like to take it further.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Currently I'm using a blackboard system with 3 experts, one for travel, one for avoidance and one for targeting at close distance.  Happy to go into details if anyone is interested.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »

I've been trying out a new movement scheme, I like it better than the other but I still have a handful of bugs to sort out Facepalm.  Check it out and let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:55:13 PM by BeardLogic » Logged
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »

AI is now firing back.  Somehow I just know this is going to cause me trouble as I develop new features.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2017, 03:43:13 AM »

I absolutely love the shield effect. Also, can you shoot in *any* direction? (I noticed the lasers follow the mouse as opposed to shooting straight ahead as is common in space combat games)
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »

Thanks Zireael! Now I really wish I had a shield effect, unfortunately I can't accept the compliment lol.  What are you referring to, the circular lines around the player ship?  They are a radar system I thought was going to work but I am going to replace them.  Or was it the enemy hit or explosion?  Either way it would be good to know so I might make strides in the right direction.  Thanks!
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »

Oh and as for shooting in any direction.  At the moment yes you can.  I will likely place an angle threshold for each weapon so the design of your ship will be more important.
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »

Thanks Zireael! Now I really wish I had a shield effect, unfortunately I can't accept the compliment lol.  What are you referring to, the circular lines around the player ship?  They are a radar system I thought was going to work but I am going to replace them.

I was referring to the lines around the player ship. I'd keep the lines and reflavor them as a shield of some sort. Too cool to be lost!
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »

Ahh, OK very cool.  I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the idea!
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »

Added the placeholder for what will be the freight vessel.  I've also given it some basic AI so it can help mine. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic