Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:20:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForge On - procedurally generated​ open world space combat sim
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Forge On - procedurally generated​ open world space combat sim  (Read 13795 times)
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2017, 02:31:29 AM »

Hehe, AI stole your rock! The tractor beam effect is amazing!
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »

Hah, I know right.  Either the AI needs to be a little smarter or I need to figure out how to control my rock... or maybe a little of both.

A work in progress but thanks man! 
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »

I've finally have the ship movement at a place where I like it.  The ship controls far smoother control is far smoother and I feel like the ship is responding the way I would expect it to!

To be honest I was really hoping to have a demo-able build by Monday but life got in the way.  Soon though... soooon.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2017, 02:42:35 AM »

I liked that bit where you and the AI passed each other. I can't wait for the demo, that mouse control in the vid looks sweet!

Also, the nebula is a bit distracting...
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2017, 08:03:55 AM »

Thanks man! 

As for the nebula, if you mean the clouds at some point I will be making them localized so you don't fly through them the whole time.  Thanks for the heads up!

Still a ways to go, the visuals will be getting updated as I progress :D
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »

Hrm, well I started out this week thinking I would try to get the enemy ships loading in smoothly but turns out they are a little too computationally expensive to do that.  So down the rabbit hole I went; I managed to build a threaded system that will generate (and store!) the ship parts dynamically.  What does this mean? No more hitches on the main thread for one, but as a big fat bonus shared meshes

All that being said there's not much I can actually show from that work, but I did manage to come up with a few improvements to the build system I think you may enjoy.  I've added rotations and mirroring which I believe vastly improves the overall build system.  I suspect mirroring will be on by default, perhaps non-toggle-able even.  Any thoughts?

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »

This should give a pretty good idea of what the gameplay is going to be like.  I'm quite happy with this as the core. 

Looks like I will need to do some optimization for the build system, it's a little slow when there are a lot of parts on the go.  Please do check it out.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »

Doing more background work this week.  Mostly performance tweaks; the game was experiencing some slow down in the builder, you might be able to notice it in the previous video but it was quite obvious while playing it.

I did manage to update the thruster effects and the background visuals for the video this week.  I think the thrusters are much nicer now.  Any thoughts?

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »

Continuing work on the ship construction interface.  It's getting closer to where I would like it to be.  Still a number of minor bugs I want to deal with. 

Seems like I'm going to continue to find these flaws for a while yet.  Might be better to get something out so some of you can get your hands on it... hrm. 

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »

Enemy ship construction is working well.  I might want to upgrade the connection capabilities in the future, and the engine placement needs a few tweaks but I'm very happy with it. 

(1) I need to get the fight ready / Dropping items
(2) Need to set up an temporary inventory system
(3) Setup a cost system for building ships

Once these are done I plan on releasing a very, very early version for people to try.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »

LOL @ roughly 0:30 - that's a nice monstrosity and the next ship is a quick scout that rams into its' back.
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2017, 12:07:23 PM »

LOL @ roughly 0:30 - that's a nice monstrosity and the next ship is a quick scout that rams into its' back.

Haha, yeah the AI collision detection could use some work.  They do detect each other but that looks like a bug :D.
s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »

Looking good Marc!

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »

Looking good Marc!

Thanks Steve!  Still a ways to go but always good to see progress.
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »

I've been thinking about a way to connect ship parts together to create a more cohesive ship and I think I have something.  I won't be releasing it as part of the initial demo because I want to get that out soon but I think it will drastically improve the looks of the ships.

Anyway, for this week I've got UI working the way I want.  Haven't added components yet but that will come soon.  I've added a lot of the background infrastructure required to be able to collect parts and resources.  Not much left before a full game "cycle" can be completed.  

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2017, 10:15:15 AM »

Lots new in this video!  Better combat, part collection / discovery, better ship movement and more!

Hope to have a playable demo (with minimal feature set) out next week.  Does anyone know of a good way to host a PC game for testing?  Dropbox is my current thought, but perhaps you know of something better?

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »

Looks great Marc! It reminds me of Eve Online a little bit,. Only the flying maneuverability is a little more accessible than that.

One thing I noticed. Sometimes the laser shots appear to be shooting out of the back of the ship. I'm sure you are still hashing all that out.

Looks like you are ready for some sound fx and music soon =D

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »

Looks great Marc! It reminds me of Eve Online a little bit,. Only the flying maneuverability is a little more accessible than that.

One thing I noticed. Sometimes the laser shots appear to be shooting out of the back of the ship. I'm sure you are still hashing all that out.

Looks like you are ready for some sound fx and music soon =D

Thanks again!  Yeah, definitely a work in progress.  I think what you are seeing there is that I'm not taking into account the reference frame of the ship that's firing... alternatively it might be a bug in the targeting.  I'll sort it out at some point. 

Yeah, certainly going to be adding more sfx this coming week!
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »

If you want just testing (and very limited numbers of people) Dropbox is fine, if you want something better (a first demo of a kind), there's several indie hosting sites such as IndieDB, Gamejolt and Itch.io.

Speaking of testing, I'm volunteering!
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2017, 07:28:57 AM »

If you want just testing (and very limited numbers of people) Dropbox is fine, if you want something better (a first demo of a kind), there's several indie hosting sites such as IndieDB, Gamejolt and Itch.io.

Speaking of testing, I'm volunteering!

Very nice, that's very useful information.  I will check these options out!  I've been wanting to setup and IndieDB page for a while now, might be that time.  Thanks, this is very helpful.  Also, would be very happy to have you as a tester!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic