Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366262 Posts in 64025 Topics- by 55912 Members - Latest Member: prajit33

September 20, 2019, 02:39:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Wayward Isles
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Wayward Isles  (Read 9775 times)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »

Our first trailer!

Our new website!

http://www.thewaywardisles.com/

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 07:36:39 AM »

Here are a few new exploratory sketches of the game's main town from Peter.

General consensus on the trailer was that the segments featuring the town were best at giving a feel for the game's unique style and hinting at how it might differ from similar titles. Our next step is therefore to build it fully within the game engine. More to follow soon!

amanfr01
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »

Hey everybody!

I made a brief video blog introducing the music of the game. This first entry simply introduces my musical approach from a cultural, theoretical, and technical level. I hope learning a bit more about the game whets your appetite for the progress of the game!

More "The Wayward Isles" content coming in the near future (from all team members!).

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Currently making music for:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
0XPgamedev
Level 0

Noob makes game in year: read all about it

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »

In total agreement with all previous comments about the art direction, my lord. Particularly like the Odd Folk and Man of Joy in particular, such a great design.

The soundtrack is also great from what I've heard, has a dignified, Final Fantasy feel.

Trailer also looks professional enough to *ship* a *boat-load* of units, too.

Will be sure to keep my eye on this one!
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »

Thanks! The trailer has garnered good responses and feedback, very encouraging. We're now hard at work on a short demo scene.

In the meantime, I've written a little slice of interactive fiction to flesh out the main character's backstory. I'm going to do a series of them, all based around different scars on his body and his memories of how he came by them. Here it is:

http://www.thewaywardisles.com/wi/casaal/

Music by Tony and art by Peter.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2017, 12:08:29 AM »

Here's some fresh concept art from Peter, showing the 'Bower' environment which will be the scene of our upcoming demo.

The Bower is home to the Sisters, an order of priestesses devoted to the care of Mammer Jan, an ancient and seemingly immortal woman who is said to have once been a queen but is now shrivelled to the size of a newborn babe, her faculties and memory gone.

The demo will showcase a segment of the game in which Scyld goes to seek an audience with Mammer Jan and her priestesses as he unravels the ancient feuds which are blighting the Isles.

Tradition says that Mammer Jan requires a burnt offering of something precious before she will speak. If you can bear to be without it, it probably isn't valuable enough... What will you throw into the fire?

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »

Are you, or have you ever been, a 3D ARTIST? Do you know or own a 3D ARTIST? Do you have information which could be usefully leveraged to blackmail a 3D ARTIST? Or perhaps you have the means to exercise occult power over a 3D ARTIST?

What I'm getting at is this - we need one or two good 3D ARTISTS and we are willing to compromise our morals and possibly even our immortal souls to get them. If you can help, please check out this thread: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=61832.0

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 04:34:21 AM »

A sail! A sail! There has been no word from the Wayward Isles for months and some have worried that we'd been wiped from the map entirely. But no! Here comes our latest boat, laden with news...

The Demo

We've been hard at work making a playable demo to show off the game's atmosphere and key features and we're nearing completion. The demo will be set in one of the game's more unusual locations and will essentially be a short standalone episode which will also give some insight into the main story (see previous post).

The priestesses

Mammer Jan

We've also welcomed a sound designer, Oscar, and two 3D artists, Jess and Eric, to the team. They've been working hard to bring the environment to life.

Original concept for the Bower

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 04:20:47 AM »

I've let this devlog drift while the project has undergone something of a tidal change of direction but we're still afloat!

With the focus we’ve always had on narrative over action, we’ve found ourselves slowly moving away from the original idea of a 3rd-person open world and looking instead to some of our older influences such as the adventure games of Sierra for inspiration. Finally, we’ve taken the plunge and settled on a series of scenes with fixed camera angles rather than a completely free-roam environment. It feels much tighter already and will be far more manageable in terms of content creation.

The island will still be open to explore in any order and there will still be action elements throughout, but the focus will now be much tighter on dialogue and puzzles as the central gameplay mechanics. I'll post a video soon which will do a far better job of showing the new approach than I can ever do in words.

In the meantime, here's a quick teaser of the new model for our central character, Scyld:

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic