Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:17:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeep Greens
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Deep Greens  (Read 19251 times)
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »

I really like the look of your project. It gives an eerie vibe, like if you shouldn't feel safe in that place (and it makes sense, given the context). An horror game with a similar look could be really good.

I will be following your thread. Good luck! Coffee
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2017, 03:21:15 AM »

Thanks!

So a bit of a slow down after being a bit sick for a few weeks but now I'm starting on level design and hoping to get to my first demo here sometime soon! I also have a couple of tracks I'll be adding to the the soundcloud. Still needing to mess with the bee's animation and to get a start learning gamemaker but I'll put those things off for now while I focus on the demo.

I also tried my first attempt at making a title screen but it turned out pretty bad...

nope...

So I gave it another try tonight and now I have something I'm much happier with. It's majorly inspired by the Ecco the Dolphin title screen's font (maybe too similar...) It still feels dark and mysterious but much better represents the feeling of the game I think. Either way it's a good start. If I tweak it I may try to make it greener and maybe try to add a bit more of an eerie vibe to it. It's always a bit of a challenge balancing the beauty aspects of the game with the unsettling/off aspects.

Edit: A few experimentations, most likely I'll make something that more smoothly transitions between greens and blues

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:16:34 AM by SolS » Logged

Artifice Machine
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2017, 06:43:23 AM »

Hello. Tongue

Nice work on the title screen so far.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »

Hey! And thanks, I still feel like it's a little off though. I might just be overthinking it but I've been trying to adjust it to be a bit more subtle to fit with the game better.

Here's a simpler version that might seem like a step backwards but shrinking the text gives it that warped/crude look that might fit a bit better with the graphics of the game. I'll still probably be tweaking it here and there but I wanted to try to balance out what looks good and what fits the game a bit more before moving on.

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 01:52:43 PM »

I like the animated title screen you posted earlier. It has that 80s Horror movie feeling.
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »

Looks interesting, reminds me of bootleg nes games.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2017, 02:03:03 AM »

@LyricalReverie - Thanks, I'll probably do something similar with the colors in the new version as well so hopefully that will be a good compromise.

@hijong park - Good to hear, I definitely want it to have a strange and memorable feeling to it like you'd get from a bootleg game.

Oh and I'll be getting back to working on this game hopefully soon. I've been experimenting with art lately and playing other things in the meantime. But the other day I noticed my computer has windows movie maker so I threw together some of my gifs along with some music from the game and made a trailer. The colors and stuff got really messed up and I'm not sure why but here it is anyways

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2017, 05:17:11 AM »

cool titles.
really like the mysterious vibe of the artwork and trailer.
can't wait to try it out.

-Fro-gAH-nus
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »

Thanks!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »

There's a good chance neither of these will fit in the game but I was messing with some old art trying to make it look like an ancient massive hive. It's a bit too alienish compared to the rest of the game but it could be cool.

JindrichP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »

Really nice art choice. Glad to see that someone knows how to create a retro game art that doesn´t seem cheap. On the contrary. This is really nice!

Currently working on Xenofil
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »

Thanks a lot!

I got a bit burned out on everything but I'm going to try to get the momentum going again so hopefully I'll have something new to post here soon.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:43 AM »

Just a quick gif to share. This turned out a bit choppy but I want to make a smoothed out version of this kind of flight pattern, similar to the enemy's movements in Galaga.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2017, 01:02:13 PM »

Another visual test.

ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »

Nice! You know, the style reminds me of a game I played long ago... but I just can't quite remember what it was...

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 06:50:19 AM »

Thanks! If you happen to remember the game it reminds you of let me know!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2017, 03:52:44 AM »

Testing new enemies.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:22 AM »

Experimenting a bit.

And here's the green frogs attack so far. I'd like to animate the frogs mouth at some point too.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:48:04 AM by SolS » Logged

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2017, 12:23:34 AM »

Early mockup for a new area.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »

This is intriguing!