Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:53:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeep Greens
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Deep Greens  (Read 19284 times)
Fenreliania
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2017, 12:42:20 AM »

Oh wow, this is just exceptional! I really dig this aesthetic, and reading that the bootleg mood is totally intentional just makes me love it more. Hearing the music is just making this even better, too. You're totally nailing everything I love about the beauty in messy old games, excellent work!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2017, 02:45:24 AM »

This is intriguing!

Oh wow, this is just exceptional! I really dig this aesthetic, and reading that the bootleg mood is totally intentional just makes me love it more. Hearing the music is just making this even better, too. You're totally nailing everything I love about the beauty in messy old games, excellent work!

Thanks for the comments! Glad to hear you like the music as well!

The last two mockups are using art I got from pencil sketches I made years ago. I just recently took pictures of them and converted it to a pixel art look. This has been something I've been wanting to try for a while now so it's fun to finally be experimenting with that.

Anxious Neck Games
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »

Absolutely stunning work, man! Would love to test / play your games.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »

The visuals mix of pixels and the style are looking great! Though, it seems to lose that if the visuals are "stretched" too much (e.g. video), so I'll hope that the game will be playable with a small screen. Smiley

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »

@Anxious Neck Games - Thanks! There's not much to test at the moment. For a while now I've just been planning stuff, making mockups, etc. Honestly I should be getting a surgery within the next two months which should help with my chronic pains, if I can get some relief then I'd be able to get much more work done! At that point I'll definitely appreciate some play testing! Congrats on your game release btw, I'm hoping to get a chance to play it someday soon.

@io3 creations - Oh absolutely I agree! That's why all the screenshots and gifs have been in the small/original resolution. The small size is the playable default but you can manually stretch the screen to any size. The blurriness of the stretching is only from the poor quality of the video too. If you manually stretch the game it remains unblurred though it still looks better in the original size. Anyways thanks!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2017, 03:05:35 PM »

@io3 creations - Oh absolutely I agree! That's why all the screenshots and gifs have been in the small/original resolution. The small size is the playable default but you can manually stretch the screen to any size. The blurriness of the stretching is only from the poor quality of the video too. If you manually stretch the game it remains unblurred though it still looks better in the original size. Anyways thanks!
Yes, I know that videos don't retain the pixel clarity (especially YouTube videos with their high compression).  At about 360p/480p it's still fine for me but I was referring to streting it to 780p or 1080p.  Then the pixels turn into noticeable blocks and that changes the style for me.

elosociu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2017, 02:28:19 AM »

I love the artstyle.. It's so weird, but it's really consistent.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2017, 04:47:53 AM »

Thanks! Glad the art seems consistent, that's something I'm constantly trying to keep in mind while deciding what fits and what doesn't and it can be pretty difficult at times balancing things out just right.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »

Some flowers have been flash frozen in time. The restless spirits of many small bees can be found nearby.

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2017, 06:57:55 AM »

I second the user above, the level of consistency is impressive. Also, poor bees. Can they hurt the player character?
zenassembly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »

Ghost bees  Epileptic

This looks great. It's like a bizarre fever dream come to life. I think the visuals are odd and not entirely clear and sort of intimidating in a weird way, but it totally works.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2017, 11:33:13 PM »

@LyricalReverie - Thanks! And yes the bees can hurt the player. Hopefully by this point in the game the player will know that anything moving that's also black and yellow is an enemy.

@zenassembly - A bizarre fever dream is a great way to put it! And thanks, glad you like it!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 04:30:12 AM »

Testing a background I made today

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:09:31 AM by SolS » Logged

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2017, 11:37:03 AM »

V. cool background. Not sure if those pics are all different takes on the same background? In one of them it wasn't clear what was foreground vs background, but maybe it was all background?

Down here, it's our time.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »

Thanks! It's all the same bg. The 2nd one is just the original image I made from experimenting with the art but I ended up liking it and used it as a background in the first image, I just included it here because to show how it looks by itself. I then decided I liked the non-reduced colors from the original so I added the 3rd and 4th image where it's used as the foreground.

For the 3rd and 4th image I should probably make some kind of in between version. Anyways It would have probably been more clear if I just posted these two images alone to compare. One as the background and the other here is just foreground.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2017, 01:11:12 AM »

Here's another one!

Not all areas will be that big or significant. Some areas will be used as short visual transitions between two areas.

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:07 PM »

That screen with the jellyfish monsters looks really good.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »

Thank you!

Some of those monsters may also be found in some other lost prototype that may or may not exist...

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2018, 03:54:39 AM »

I really like the look of this thing. I've got some older post were I began to take my pixel art in a similar direction but its pretty restrained in comparison. I like this art direction your moving in, it fits very well here.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2018, 06:18:49 AM »

Thanks a lot! I do remember seeing your art back then and really liking it!

I haven't been posting much lately but I've been working on getting a demo ready for Seas of Saturn which is like an alternate version of Deep Greens.

As you can see both games even include the same trilobite like enemies.

But as soon as I finish the demo for Seas of Saturn I'm going to come back to Deep Greens again so I can work towards a demo for this game as well.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic