Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:28:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Looking for an Artist: Remake of Fallen Angel's Siege
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for an Artist: Remake of Fallen Angel's Siege  (Read 4683 times)
Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:40:08 PM »

Hello my beautiful artists,

Some friends and I have spent the last couple weeks working on a reimagining of one of my favorite indie games of all time: Siege. We've added a lot to the gameplay, like combos and units that break your opponent's tiles. It's not really playable yet, especially after reworking the input code, but it's come a long way.

Our placeholder art isn't bad, but we're looking for someone with real pixel skills to add real charm and appeal to the game. I'll post a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of what the game will be like, but those unfamiliar with Siege can get a better idea of the gameplay by checking it out here.

I'll try to give an idea of the amount of art we require. The final game is going to run at 640x480 resolution. For each of our ~20 units, we're going to need around 4 frames of animation. The units will range from 10x15 pixels up to 50x35. We'll also need art for puzzle tiles, the user interface, and the landscape, plus one piece of art I'm particularly excited about.

As you can see from the screenshots, we have a day/night cycle, represented by a large rotating sprite with the sun and bright sky on one side, and the moon and stars on the other. If this were done by someone with considerable art talent, I think it would look really great in motion. This disc would probably be about 1000x1000 pixels in size, although not all of it would actually be seen. It would basically be a giant ring with clouds, birds, evening fog, stars, and the sun and moon on it.

If you're interested, just post a reply with a sample of your pixel art. I'm here to answer any questions about the art, gameplay, myself... anything you need to know. I could even send you a pre-alpha build of the game, if you're thinking about doing art and you'd like to test it out. Thanks for reading!

Tom

P.S: In terms of release, we're looking at anywhere from 2 weeks from now to 1 month. Every week we work for dozens of hours on the game, and we're definitely not stopping.

P.P.S: Beau, if you're reading, we love you! We owe everything to you!
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »

This is how you look for people to work on your project. None of that jForce business. Unfortunately I can't help out on the art, but if you this was a paid position you would get more interest.

Is this going to be in flash? It looks like a great game, post a link when it's finished!

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »

I'm a bit busy right now, but I totally dug the original. I even thought about updating it myself at one point. Best of luck to you on a cool project!

Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »

Thanks for the well-wishes! Unfortunately this isn't a paid position; we're just a few CS majors making an indie game. We're doing it in C#, using .NET and AgateLib. When we're a little bit farther along, I'll make a thread in the Feedback or Announcements forum to show it off.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 06:22:37 PM by Tom Quinn » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:56:34 PM »

I would love to help, but I'm not very experienced in pixel art (I do work in Photoshop, though) and I'm unsure whether school would interfere or not. If I can make sure I have the time, and you're interested in my work of course, I'd be more than happy to offer my assistance. This looks like a really awesome project, though, so I wish you and your team the best of luck!
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »

This looks interesting enough. I'd be willing to lend a hand, if you think my pixel work's up to par.
Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »

Looking at your posts on TIGSource, we'd love to have you! I think it would be best for the game to have a consistent style, which probably means that one person would do all the art. It's a pretty big commitment and I don't know if that's what you meant. If you're still interested, let me know!
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »

Thanks!

I'd be more than willing to give it a shot, but yeah, it does seem like a pretty big undertaking. I'll see.
Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »

Great, we're looking forward to hearing back from you. Not to make it sound like a contest or a race, but if anyone else is interested we'd love to see your stuff.
Kevin
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 03:36:14 AM »

*originally, this post was lies*

Sorry, sorry and sorry. I got over excited, I offered, but I can't take anything else on at the moment.
I just really like Siege. Forgive me? Beg
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:51:04 AM by Kevin » Logged
Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »

You are forgiven.  Wink We're excited about Siege too, which is why we're also excited about finding an artist. Right now, we should be adding units into the game and balancing it, but it's hard to justify creating placeholder art that you're just going to ditch as soon as you find an artist. Instead, we're building the menus and putting achievements in place.

Unfortunately, we can't release it until all the art is done. Anyone?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 12:55:37 AM »

Good luck with this! I love Siege so I hope this version turns out great. Unfortunately my art skills are pretty mediocre - I'd be lucky to produce anything that looks better than your placeholders. I'll be watching, though.

Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »

Well, the creek's run dry as far as TIGSource goes for finding an artist. Can anyone suggest a more pixel art-centric forum where I might have better luck?

Not that I'm leaving TIGS, of course. The announcement thread'll be up as soon as we secure some art!
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »

Have you tried Pixelation?
I think some of the pixellier TIGers hang out there.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:05 AM »

Maybe also try http://www.pixeljoint.com/  Smiley
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »

If you guys are willing to wait until May 8th, I'd be down to do some pixelan.

Sorry I didn't look at this thread earlier. If you want me to throw together like a mini portfolio or whatever I can.

Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »

A mini-portfolio sounds about right. Ideally, we'd like to get the game done before May 8, but it's looking like finding an artist is going to take a lot longer than we thought. If you could take a look at the original Siege and start brainstorming ways to revamp the art style, that would be ideal. We're moving from a 320x200 window (in Faind's Siege) to a 640x480 window, so there's some stylistic choices to be made.
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »

Right, well I can work off and on until then, but not reliably until after.

also mini portfolio sent via pm.

Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »

Not bad, it's mostly stuff I saw when browsing through your older posts. I'll give you a shout early May if nobody else volunteers.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic