Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:19:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Interview with a graphics artist for a college studies class
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Interview with a graphics artist for a college studies class  (Read 1427 times)
Deowin
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

Hi, I am student at the University of Tennessee and just lurked around here up until now. I have flirted with making games for a long time, predominately with Game Maker, but mostly think of it as a hobby these days. However, lately I have become rather engrossed in modeling in Blender and illustration. To the point, I have an assignment in a college studies class for which I must interview 3 people within a field I am interested in entering. The only criteria are that the individuals must actually make income from their position and that my professor can verify my communications with this person instead of just filling in the questions myself. I would tremendously appreciate anyone taking their valuable time to answer these questions or perhaps pointing me in the direction of someone who might be interested in doing so.

1. How did you decide upon this occupation?

2. Did you have other jobs before this position?

3. What is your education background?

4. What training and skills are necessary  for a career in this area?

5. How long have you been in your current position?

6. What are your major responsibilities on the job?

7. Do you supervise other people?

8. What is your typical day like?

9. What is the average length of your work week?

10. What is your salary ( doesnt have to be a direct quote if thats uncomfortable) ?

11. If you had to do it all over would you go into another career?

12. Can you recommend someone else whom I could speak to in this field?
oliv
Level 0

money makin' disco breakin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

Hi.  I'm in highschool, and have been accepted to and will be attending ArtCenter College of Design next year, majoring in entertainment design - which is basically illustration for movies and games.  As of now I don't have a job, though I do make money from my paintings.  For cash on the side I paint flowers which my local coffee shops are happy to sell for me (an easy way to make a quick $200, yay for yuppies).  I've also done a few paid commissions and teach drawing 1 to kids on Saturdays.

I don't know whether this qualifies me to answer your questions or not, but here ya go.

1. How did you decide upon this occupation?

I've always been pretty decent at drawing.  I used to pixel in 8th grade for fun, and doing so taught me a lot of fundamentals.  Over the summer I took a graduation-required art class, and found I was very good and really enjoyed drawing, painting, and other stuff.  It also enabled me to tell stories and help others use their imaginations, which is very fulfilling.

2. Did you have other jobs before this position?

Nope.  Lots of volunteer work, but no jobs.  Then again, I'm not even eighteen.

3. What is your education background?

Graduating highschool soon, with two semesters of AP art and about five auxillary art classes.  I've also completed AP Lang, AP Lit, AP US Hist, and AP Calc, for what it's worth.

4. What training and skills are necessary  for a career in this area?

Well, if you want to make a quick buck like I've been doing, you have to know how to paint artsy looking flowers and frame them nicely.  In the long term I'll need to know how to use just about every media- from oils to zbrush, and be able to draw everything- from tractors to martian landscapes.

5. How long have you been in your current position?

Two years.

6. What are your major responsibilities on the job?

When painting flowers, I need to get as many done as quickly as possible.  When teaching the kids, I need to keep my cool and be helpful and provide basic instruction.

7. Do you supervise other people?

Well, the kids I teach.  But no other employees.

8. What is your typical day like?

A drag.  On work days I'll usually get the kids started on the assignment, and then start painting for fun or for my portfolio.  I'll go around the room now and then, and help anyone who asks for it.

9. What is the average length of your work week?

Six hours every Saturday, probably about 40 hours a week doing some kind of art.

10. What is your salary ( doesnt have to be a direct quote if thats uncomfortable) ?

$300 for commissions, about $200 for coffeeshop paintings, and $66 each Saturday.

11. If you had to do it all over would you go into another career?

Nope, it's not too late for me.

12. Can you recommend someone else whom I could speak to in this field?

Try one of my teachers, John Rheaume.  He was senior art director at Activision back in the day, and has worked with Clive Barker and other horror guys.   http://www.jrportfolio.com/

Yeah.  I don't think I'm the ideal candidate for your interview, but hey.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic