Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:48:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBurnout Paradise
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Burnout Paradise  (Read 1640 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »

vroom vroom vroom vroom

has anyone played it? I enjoyed the driving parts of GTA3&5, loved the driving in Burnout, fascinated by open-world but rarely see a good implementation of it..

BP's main features:

Dense map full of racing missions
Figuring out shortcuts helps you race, instead of just being a "1/100" collectible
Auto time trial on each road you drive on submits your score against friends & global (my favorite thing)
"Unlockable" cars can show up next to you and you have to make them crash before they drive off to add to your "junkyard" (cool integration of story + mechanics!)

I see it's on Windows -- there are a few sites advertising porting tools for Mac but I'm skeptical, if anyone's done this please let me know!

I looked up the open-world Tony Hawk game but the gameplay videos I saw did NOT look impressive - tons of dialogue, weird missions instead of skate skate skate skate.

If you have played the game please share your thoughts I'd love to hear more about it.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »

Yeah I played it a bit. Honestly for some reason I love racing / car games. It's fun to visit a well made world at a high speed.
Burnout Paradise is cool but the open world mission selection is so gimmicky it made me mad.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »

Yeah I played it a bit. Honestly for some reason I love racing / car games. It's fun to visit a well made world at a high speed.
Burnout Paradise is cool but the open world mission selection is so gimmicky it made me mad.

Mission selection? I thought you just drove to places then raced to other places

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »

Mission selection? I thought you just drove to places then raced to other places

Well, it is a form of triggering the races and activities, right?

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:05:25 PM »

What would you have done instead?

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »

Allow me to select the races from a menu + allow me to drive everywhere freely. À la Tony Hawk Underground (?) I think.

voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »

I actually bought this one but was put off by the open world-ness and never played it, because open world was what killed the NFSU franchise for me.

It's sitting in my closet back home, along with my xbox, so I guess I won't get a chance to find out if I misjudged it for a while.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »

one of my favorite games of last generation. feels soooo goooood

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »

it's a good game but would be better if it wasn't "open world".
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 04:15:17 PM »

Honestly what is the purpose of the open world aspect in this game (regarding race selection) ? Is it to familiarize the player to the tracks in a casual, subconcious way? I really don't know what the point is besides make the game longer and more annoying.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »

its probably because open world was a trendy checklist feature at the time (still is) and they wanted some of that sweet GTA money. like i said, the game is good despite it.

imo racing games are one of the genres that have suffered the most from the trend towards feature creep starting in the late 00s.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »

I still maintain that Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the best racing games of all time
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 04:34:31 PM »

Honestly what is the purpose of the open world aspect in this game (regarding race selection) ? Is it to familiarize the player to the tracks in a casual, subconcious way? I really don't know what the point is besides make the game longer and more annoying.

Yeah -- I haven't played -- I thought it was you subconsciously learn shortcuts so for random A to B missions across the map you can win better

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »

its probably because open world was a trendy checklist feature at the time (still is) and they wanted some of that sweet GTA money. like i said, the game is good despite it.

imo racing games are one of the genres that have suffered the most from the trend towards feature creep starting in the late 00s.

Yeah I guess most games are victims of their contemporaries.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 05:48:36 AM »

I still maintain that Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the best racing games of all time
hear hear

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »

absolutely. it's my #1 candidate for if sony ever asks me which ps2 game i want them to put on the ps4 store. i think they're both excellent in different ways.

re: the open world, i liked the "flat" (i can't think of a better word for it) structure of the races. figuring out the best routes and shortcuts was a lot of fun. also, those billboards and gates to smash were a lot of fun to find.

oh, and online was a ton of fun, too. i made some cool friends just hanging out and driving around online.

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 12:50:51 AM »

I've played Paradise for like 60 hours with cheats (to unlock all cars). Haven't completed even single mission - just had fun in open world by smashing everything (including myself). So satisfying.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:53:39 AM by Slowminder » Logged
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 01:39:13 AM »

Been playing for around 30h so far, at nearly 80% completion I think. A lot of just dicking around. It's really enjoyable but a few things irk me.

At the beginning the slomo crashes we're really cool to watch but as you play those ~5 second interruptions really break the gameflow. As you're racing you want to get back to the racing as soon as possible. I wish there was an option to turn these cinematics off. Like they disable Super Jump cameras during events.

Something about the minimap and the appearance of the city makes it impossible for me to follow the map and race. I keep taking wrong turns all the time. Pretty much all the intersections look the same and since the racing can be extremely fast it's hard to orientate. I guess it would help if the minimap would orient the same way you're going. And some of the repair shop icons and others are waaaay off from where they really are.

I wish there were more racing destinations.

That Paradise City song ... ughh!

DJ Atomika is a nice touch.

ROAD RAGE mode is extremely satisfying to play, damn!

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 02:58:41 AM »

That Paradise City song ... ughh!

I love G'n'R, but they've should used some randomizer, because this song becomes annoying very quickly (just like Styles of beyond song in NFS: Most wanted (2005).
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »

i just disable every song except girlfriend

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic