Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:27:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGrandma: GM Platformer Engine
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Grandma: GM Platformer Engine  (Read 104864 times)
rubna
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »

Great engine! I don't understand most of the base code, but it's great to work with!

I found another little bug though: when you walk against a wall and you keep walking against it, your hspd will be 0.8 in one frame and then 0 the in the next. You don't see it, but it will mess up your animations.

It's pretty easy to work around, but I thought I'd let you know in case you have any intentions to do some debugging Smiley

Anyways, thanks for the great engine!
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »

I found another little bug though: when you walk against a wall and you keep walking against it, your hspd will be 0.8 in one frame and then 0 the in the next. You don't see it, but it will mess up your animations.

That might tend to happen! Doesn't the hspd oscillation (going back and forth from 0.8 to 0) problem depend on how one implements animations, though?

For example, in one of my games the oscillation wouldn't affect a player's animation because it depends not on hspd but on the keyboard keys held.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »

I'm working on a platformer game and this could be useful, but I can't open the files. I have GameMaker Studio. Is this engine for a legacy version? Can it be opened/used in GM Studio?

I'm chugging along with help from some YouTube videos but I'd love to try this out.

In any case if anyone know a useful GM Studio Platformer tutorial/guide, I'd love to check it out.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »

This was made for GM7 I believe, you can try porting it to Studio if you want (this guide is pretty helpful).

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »

This was made for GM7 I believe, you can try porting it to Studio if you want (this guide is pretty helpful).

Considering I just starting using GM: Studio, this is actually some pretty cool information (most that I knew), but the thing about the order of events was really interesting.

Klemm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »

How would one make the jump bigger if you hold the button longer (like in Mario games or Give Up Robot2)?

Also, should use this engine/rules for enemy AI? I thought of just adding alarm based input on when to trigger movement like player does with keyboard, or is that stupid?

Thanks
rubna
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »

How would one make the jump bigger if you hold the button longer (like in Mario games or Give Up Robot2)?

I usually add friction to the vspeed if the jump button isn't held and the player is going up. Code would be this:

Code:
if (vspd<0 && !keyboard_check(jumpbutton)) {vspd/=1.2;}

If the jump key is not pressed, the jump will stop going higher in a nice, smooth and fast motion. This isn't the way it's done in Mario, but I like this way better anyways Grin
Klemm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2013, 03:52:43 AM »

I usually add friction to the vspeed if the jump button isn't held and the player is going up. Code would be this:

Code:
if (vspd<0 && !keyboard_check(jumpbutton)) {vspd/=1.2;}

If the jump key is not pressed, the jump will stop going higher in a nice, smooth and fast motion. This isn't the way it's done in Mario, but I like this way better anyways Grin
Thank you, that works like a charm. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic