Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:50:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLoot Pursuit devlog (Zelda/Grandia/Mario hybrid RPG)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Loot Pursuit devlog (Zelda/Grandia/Mario hybrid RPG)  (Read 3715 times)
Amirai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:45:18 PM »

Elevator pitch

Loot Pursuit is a lighthearted, humorous simultaneous turn-based RPG with a battle system sort of similar to Grandia where you can mess with your opponent's actions and has an environment inspired by Zelda and Mario that has a strong influence in the battles.

It's a little difficult to explain, so I've got some gifs! The game is still very early in development so I haven't nailed down all the mechanics yet, but this is some of what I've got so far:

One click to attack

Dash attack to hit the enemy harder and further

Hit enemies against walls for extra damage

Instead of only having stats determine the outcome of an incoming attack...

...players have multiple options, such as hitting the enemy first...

...dodging to put the enemy in a position where it can be hit against a wall...

...or one character can protect the other.

Spin attack to hit multiple enemies

Not so good against singular opponents...

...unless...

Traps can hit enemies too! Use them to your advantage!

Design

I love turn-based battle systems, but think there's a lot of untapped potential. Strategy RPGs add stuff like unit location and attack range to the mix, but I don't think they go far enough. It seems like all the innovations developers make aren't what I want in such a system... so I'm making it myself.

I'm trying to add a lot to turn-based battles, like making the abilities have multiple uses and strategic benefits in different situations. Using a spin attack next to a wall is just the beginning, and I'll be writing posts here detailing my design decisions. Also, if anyone's curious it's being made with construct 2.

Platforms

The primary target platform is PC and it's intended to be played with a mouse (or head tracker), but I hope to be able to put it on mobile and maybe Xbox one if I can figure out how to get it to play well with a controller instead of a mouse or touchscreen (the interface in the screenshot is an early version of the mobile design, I haven't decided the best way for the PC UI to work yet). I'd like to put it on mac and linux, but they depend on the state of nw.js which will hopefully have its kinks ironed out by then.

Project scope

It's designed to be a small game so I don't get in over my head with more than I can manage, so it won't be one of those 50-100 hour RPGs. It's got plenty of potential for sequels or using the battle engine in another game with a different setting if I want to do more with it.

Something I've also learned is that even if something seems like it would be fun to play in your head, it can be different than imagined when made real. Because of that, I am currently committing only to a prototype to find out how it plays. If it's fun, then I'll keep working on it.

Other ways to follow: Patreon - Twitter - Deviantart - Tumblr
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:58:45 PM by Amirai » Logged

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »

Was just trawling the screenshot thread after a holiday and came across this. I've always looked for something that took the Grandia concept up a notch. This looks like it could be full of tense moments and clutch moves.

Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »

This could be fun as heck, some really satisfying stuff.

Love the subtitle.

Werneck
Level 0

Warning: contains citrus.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 05:49:03 PM »

This looks so fun to play! Very interesting take on turn-based battle - seems to makes it a lot more interactive.

It's cool that skills can be really good or not so useful depending on the context - adds variety and strategy. The art style is so cute, too! I love the subtitle as well.

Will definitely be stalking you on social media to get the latest updates.
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 05:50:36 PM »

The concept of this really strikes me as fascinating. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »

Awesome concept! Will be following to see where this goes!
Amirai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 12:35:35 AM »

Thanks, everyone! I'll be posting more stuff soon. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic