Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:45:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAxis Descending - Beta Test - Metroidvania Dark Souls-Like
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Axis Descending - Beta Test - Metroidvania Dark Souls-Like  (Read 651 times)
nujakujata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »

Axis Descending is a game I've been dabbling with for a few years now. Until it became a part of my graduate thesis a year and a half ago, it was shelved on and off and never really had an end in sight. Now, I've transformed the game into this current state and hope to publish it on Steam! The game is a blend of Metroidvania, Dark Souls, and some Mega Man with twists, spins, and secrets aplenty.

Thanks for checking out the game! Take a look at the trailer and give the playable a go. I'll be pushing this onto Greenlight in the near future and need all the feedback I can get to make this better and better. If you have any questions or comments please ask and share!

Please use this form to report bugs/feedback!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:42:21 PM by nujakujata » Logged

Mars Ashton // Indiedev // Professor // Twitter // Steam Greenlight
Lezek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »

Love the art and if you've made this whole game by yourself, then wow, that really looks like a lot of work.

I tried it for a while and the gameplay feels quite nice, very dynamic, kinda like Capitan Claw (well, haven't play many games like that, maybe that's why I come up with this :D). It's not really my type of game (too much controls :D), but I can tell it's very nice.

When it comes to feedback, I think it would be great to hear some sound when you hit an enemy (I didn't notice any). I also noticed that when I destroy a box and then move to some different area (for example I go through the door) and come back, the box gets "resurected" :D I get why it would be like that though, and it's not really that important anyway. Just felt kind of odd.

Also is it possible to somehow save the game? Maybe I missed something, but couldn't such option. Perhaps it's because it's just a beta version?

Anyway, keep the good work! Maybe I'll post here later if I decide to play some more Wink

nujakujata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:52 PM »

Thanks!

More SFX are incoming as soon as my audio fella works it out. Saving will be an eventual feature for sure, I'm just ironing things out and waiting for an exhibition or two before it goes in.

nujakujata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:43:49 PM »

I've updated the build to 1.4, introducing a deathblow feature and a number of fixes!

- Deathblow mechanic implemented. Sword/Archer/Rogue soldiers will drop before dying, giving you a brief moment to strike and restore a large portion of mana.
- New Longsword: Oblivion Blade (gain health on hit)
- New Armor: Oblivion set, Abyssal Guise, Abyssal Dreads, Abyssal Cloak
- You can now hit Space, in addition to Up, to jump up from wall clips
- A few longswords are now classified as "greatswords" and feature a unique ground combo attack
- Gleam, the Hunter pet, can now attack while you're attacking/defending (forgot to remove a few limits from this prior)
- Updated some flashback dialogue
- Fixed audio going silent suddenly
- Fixed a few missing art assets from properly appearing
- Looting the Nevermore from Grimnir doesn't freeze Axis up now
- Fixed potions being infinite (how did this what even)
- Added a note near the Wall Jump upgrade that explains how to use it, since it is only there for the Beta and will be obtained in a more Super Metroid-esque way in the full release (D+Move Away against a wall while midair)
- Cleaned up a few things in the player container, which should boost fps or remove some slight microstutter with input
- Fixed a few areas where fps would drop
- Updated the intro text to provide a little more 'beta'-oriented explanation and guidance
- Modified the intro text a bit at the end to more accurately reflect the context of what comes next ("Axis' crew was kidnapped, go get 'em" instead of "things are tough deal")
- Added new draw/footstep sfx
- The invulnerability barrier shouldn't persist on getting killed now
- Updated the Return anim to include sound and be a bit flashier (lol)

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 03:14:49 AM »

really cool game dude! i played for abit and had some issues:
-when on a ledge grab thingy and pressing towards the wall, as i do intuitively cause i want to move to the side and not change my finger to the up key, he doesnt jump up, but jumps into the wall. Maybe change so that he jumps even tho ur holding the key down to the side? when on a ledge grab thingy.

-fps issues when at fullscreen, im on a 1920x1200 monitor, but running windowed in the smaller window it ran absolutely fine.

-also when i went back to the first boss after dying and i killed the first two minions in the boss room, he didnt start the sequence with dropping bombs down from the sky. so i stopped playing there.

But i really liked what i played so far!

also maybe add controller support?
and maybe add healthbars to the enemies, now that the player has one, idk just a suggestion.

and i didnt knew how to use potions so i died alot untill i pressed alot of buttons and found out it was mapped to "1" Tongue

But yea, great game i really liked it. Nice art and the gameplay seems smooth, i just gotta get used to that i cant turn while attacking x)

Keep it up dude!

nujakujata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »

Thanks for the response!

The ledge grab isn't functioning right because of a slight oversight and the bomb-tossing enemy room I see what is wrong, so that'll be remedied for 1.5. I'll try out healthbars for enemies. A few folks have mentioned it so its worth a try! I'll also introduce the potion tutorial earlier on. Jahn mentions in when you rescue him and Loge, but it should be a part of the initial tutorial when you open the potion chest.

FPS will definitely drop on higher resolutions. Flash scales things up and doesn't do the best job at it, even after optimization. I've been looking into a method for modifying the resolution of the monitor itself on startup to no avail. If I can just switch your screen to a low res for you the problem is solved, but until then I have to discover new ways for optimization.

nujakujata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:59:12 AM »

Patch 1.5 is here! I'll leave the patch notes below, but it should resolve the fps issues everyone has reported. There should be a solid 50-60 fps going with the new build even in fullscreen. I've got a number of bigger features planned for 1.6.

- Dual Blades, the second Primary Weapon type, will be implemented and available to use with a few skins. This type is much faster and more rapid than Longsword/Greatsword, but cannot block enemy attacks. Instead, they provide a more pronounced parry, but it requires some skill and timing to use effectively.
- The tutorial sequence where Axis' spirit dumps all of the info on you at once will be scrapped. Players will be allowed to figure things out for themselves, but will be provided info if they don't understand how to proceed.
- The two shielded 'boss' encounters on Vile will be changed. The wizard-looking enemy art of the first shield enemy will be replaced and the entire encounter's mechanics will be made more clear. It should serve as a stepping stone for the airship's boss and act on mechanics you've discovered thus far.
- Additionally, I'll provide a prompt at the beginning of the game to start the Beta anew, or choose to engage with the game as if you've already played it in order to test new features or check out specific areas without having to defeat both levels again.

- 60 FPS UPDATE FAM
- Fullscreen now uses hardware scaling and is on by default, but can be toggled by K
- Removed invuln frames during Greatsword swings (oops)
- Andras was getting ahead of himself and tossing bombs too soon when he went in desperation mode
- Andras now deals damage with his counter slash
- The dual wielding Rogue soldier now drops a Holokey, instead of Andras (what is this 2nd key for, I wonder?)
- Modified drop rate for crates/barrels so you may be more compelled to smash them
- Updated Magic Rock to include vertical fx/not be so bloomy
- Modified FX in the Dream tutorial sequence to be less bloomy
- Huey has a few lines of dialogue in the barracks
- Grimnir lost his ethereal glow
- Cleaned up some col code
- Switched around and updated some Rattail skins

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic