Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:12:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCaptain's Way - Spaceship crew management sim (New playable alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Captain's Way - Spaceship crew management sim (New playable alpha)  (Read 14879 times)
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2018, 01:34:14 AM »

Really glad you're still working on this Grin I showed my husband a while back since the tagline to this is exactly the sort of game he keeps wanting to make/play, so we're looking forward to its release! Sorry to hear you've had problems keeping artists, so here's to hoping that your current one sticks - the work looks good! It'll be nice to see it with all-new art rather than a mix, as you say, but it's obviously coming on well. I like the main menu, too, simple and functional  Smiley

orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2018, 01:43:35 AM »

Really glad you're still working on this Grin I showed my husband a while back since the tagline to this is exactly the sort of game he keeps wanting to make/play, so we're looking forward to its release! Sorry to hear you've had problems keeping artists, so here's to hoping that your current one sticks - the work looks good! It'll be nice to see it with all-new art rather than a mix, as you say, but it's obviously coming on well. I like the main menu, too, simple and functional  Smiley

Thanks so much! I love my current artist, so I hope they stay with me too!

I've slowly been crossing off all the polish that's needed to get the game to a what a consider a 'commercial alpha level' - that being a quality high enough for a game to be while in it's alpha, but GOING to be commercial. I spent all of today redoing how the game draws the players ship so now all parts can be animated, and over the last week I've added in the option to change ship templates multiple times when you're starting the game and improving clarity throughout every aspect of the game. I've also redone how ship blocks show they're damaged - before they simply get more cracked but now they shake more and more and get redder and redder the more damaged they get which makes seeing which parts of your ship are about to explode much easier.

Some screenshots:

orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:00 PM »

Hi guys! So since the last update, I've had time to fully implement crew repairing into the game, along with allowing players to designate priority repairs the same way the do priority seals. I've 90% finished overhauling the ship editor (I just need to add in camera zoom), I've improved text and clarity all over the game, I've overhauled how shields are drawn and implemented lots of new sprites courtesy of my artist. I've also had time to redo some of the art which makes up the game's nebula and I'm quite happy with the result, check it out:

Next, I need to finish overhauling the controls, all that's left is to replace the two separate move and rotate buttons with a singular move and rotate button (Where you can click to set a destination, then hold to set a rotation for the ship when it hits the destination. Then I'll release a new playable alpha! From there all I need to do before attempting crowdfunding is a tutorial, in-game options, and delta timing where possible.
orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2018, 07:22:45 PM »

Hi guys! Exciting news, I've got a new playable alpha for everyone!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s_dRqyy2jbDByULSmcZofIg9yDbv1I7w

Change log:

- Overhauled controls. You can now control your ship manually, target nearest/target individual, or set a move and rotation. Click to set destination and hold to set rotation.
- Lots of art has been overhauled
- Crew can repair parts
- Better clarity throughout the game
- Overhauled ship editor to allow camera panning and a crew upgrade tab (camera zoom in the future). Also now allows for changing ship templates when you're first setting off.
- Overhauled shield graphics
- Overhauled nebula
- Lots of behind the scenes changes to allow for animated parts

Next up:

- Camera zoom in ship editor
- In-game options/options overhaul?
- Delta timing where possible
- A Tutorial

Let me know what you think!

orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »

Hi all!

Over the last few weeks, I've been working on the camera in the shipbuilder, it now has zoom!

I've also added more events to spice things up.

Next up is a 'spaciousness bar' and ironing out the rest of repair bugs.

I've also made the jump to itch.io to host the alpha:

https://adrianmanser.itch.io/captains-way-

You can find the latest build with the new camera and events there!
orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2018, 06:55:12 PM »

Hi all, so after a bit of a rough start the itch build should now be stable. I just finished uploading a build which fixed the crash on starmap generation and added a bunch of new graphics, including new asteroids!

Check it out at the link above.
orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »

Hi all!

Development on Captain's Way is still trucking along at a steady pace. Right now my current focus is on the UI and making the game more playable. In the last week I have:

-Fixed all the bugginess with flickering HUD elements when you have the mouse on them and are zooming at the same time.
-Prettied up the starmap UI
-Made the events text box bigger
-Added tabs in the ship builder so you don't just click left and right to change between categories
-Made the 'clear ship' box in the ship builder scale with the rest of the HUD.
-Hopefully fixed a bug with using the rotate tool in the ship builder
-Made it so boarders now start shooting walls if they end up stuck somewhere, like on the outside of your ship.

Before I release next update I want to:

-Make it so HUD elements layer on top of each other properly and you can only clikc the top most element.
-Fix drop down mood numbers.
-Implement a 'repair all' button
-Implement saving and loading ship designs, this might have to wait till another update though
-Implement a 'flee' button that takes a while to change up like in FTL
-Overhaul how you control your weapons. I'm thinking of letting players individually toggle weapons firing modes in battles, from fire at will, to fire manually, to hold fire. Or you can toggle all guns at once using the HUD button. This also might have to wait till a later update.

This means that the follows features are being pushed back:

-Tutorial
-More fleshed out options including keybindings that you can access in game
-Delta timing?
-More good/bad mood events

Then it's just content content content. So I've got a lot on my plate and I'm still a while off till I'm happy to label the game as 'in beta'. Cheers!

orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2018, 10:39:33 PM »

New
Hi guys! It's time for a new build!

I call this the "UI build" because that's essentially all it's about. I've been getting a weird error trying to upload to itch.io, so until I sort that out back to google drive we go:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ukiQ-pJuXARwq5VleBVBToCWrQUCkgTJ

Changelog:

-Proper mouse hovering over buttons while zooming
-Better UI in star map
-Bigger event text box
-Tabs in shop builder
-UI elements stack on top of each other properly now
-Fixed some bugs with pins in the shipbuilder
-Fixed some bugs with the cramped/spacious moods
-Much cheaper crew healing in the shipbuilder

What's next?

-A "repair all button"
-The ability to save and load ships in the shipbuilder
-A flee button that needs to charge up like in FTL
-Toggleable fire modes per individual outer weapon

Then I'll tackle the tutorial/in-game options etc. Thanks for your patience!
The itch.io error is as follows if anybody can help me sort it out. I've already sent an email to support.

There was a problem saving your project
Please correct the errors and try again

Slug — invalid slug
orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2018, 03:57:22 AM »

Hi guys! I've finally got a new build for everyone - this one took me so long because I was making the official jump from the default 1.4 compiler to the 1.4 YYC compiler for the sake of stability.

So everybody should be having much less crashes and errors now, and hopefully, I'll have fewer reports of errors I've never run into myself. There's also a bunch of new animations and enemy sprites so keep an eye out! Smiley They shouldn't be too hard to miss.

Next up will be a flee button and other bits and bobs.

Check it out at itch.io:
https://adrianmanser.itch.io/captainsway
orseoste7o
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2018, 02:58:49 AM »

Hey guys! I thought I'd release another smallish patch to tide over players while I continue working on all sorts of buttons (buttons for toggling weapon firing modes, repairing everything, fleeing, buttons buttons buttons).

Patch notes:

-New FX engine! In the future this'll let me do cool things like have enemy ships break apart, then those broken bits break apart again.
-Lots of bug fixes
-Lots of new enemy ship graphics. Right now the enemy ships are a weird mix of old and new but I like the new graphics enough to put them in any way.
-Crew + Boarder animations
-Lots of fixes around commanding crew members, so they hopefully shouldn't ignore priority seals and repairs anymore.

Check it out at itch.io:
https://adrianmanser.itch.io/captainsway
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic