Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:10:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Blender Game Engine- is it worth?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blender Game Engine- is it worth?  (Read 1823 times)
VanBandama
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »

Hi! Recently I was looking into BGE 'coz I've seen this (

and
http://luboslenco.com/notes/). I know that Blender itself is for animation software, but how it handle with game making? I don't plan to achieve unreal 4 like graphics. Maybe Unity 5 or new Zelda for Wii U. And I know that I must code a lot in python for stable 60 fps Wink
I just wanna know is it worth playing?

P.S: I know that I could use Unity or Unreal, but I don't want 'coz of license fee etc.
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »

I don't know. The thing is, the only thing I've seen in blender is small demos of things that blender can do. Which gives me the impression that from a non-animation perspective blender is something more to dick around with to see what you can do than a platform which is good for making a full-length fully-featured game.

Now, I could be very VERY wrong on two fronts. 1, I haven't looked into Blender in a long long time. 2, Just because it hasn't been done it doesn't mean it can't be done.

I've had a short spell with blender but that was more just playing with it from a graphical perspective. I've never been a graphics centered person, and found it's interface really weird(even I've heard it's really good once you understand it) so I never got that far in my experiments. I've never tried writing scripts for it, so I can't comment.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »

The vanilla BGE is pretty far from the likes of Unity and Unreal (it's fine for indie game development graphically, but there were other things that I would want to see addressed for general purpose game development. I haven't used it in awhile now).

What's on LubosLenco's site is a new engine he is in the process of making called Armory, not what's packaged with Blender. It's not up for use yet, as far as I know - it's looking really good, though.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 05:44:02 PM »

I only know of two people who use it :  SolarLune (Gearend, looking awesome) and a dude I know in real life (his game also looks awesome).

So for what it's worth, it looks like you can make awesome stuff in it.

How big or active is the community, SolarLune?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 10:38:41 AM »

Thanks! Gearend's being made in BDX, though, not the BGE. They're two different engines.

The BGE community (concentrated around BlenderArtists, I think) is very small, but generally people stick around, so you had a lot of people who knew what they were talking about.

The BDX community (concentrated around /r/bdx and the GitHub page) is absolutely tiny, but being an open-source engine means that you can look into the engine, and that some of the people you can ask for help are developers themselves. That makes things a lot easier. I also contribute to the engine, so I think I know it rather well at this point. It's not near the graphical level of the BGE, though - no armatures or shadow support, but that's still fine for game development.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic