Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:51:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGraveyard Garden || Retro-like Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Graveyard Garden || Retro-like Platformer  (Read 1333 times)
DAndrëwBox
Level 0

The mind behind Mainasutto

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:26:18 PM »

About this game.

Graveyard Garden is an action platformer created with a 4 colours palette and a gameboy screen resolution of 160x144.
This game will have a short gameplay of 6 stages and 8 bosses, with new features and others inspired on the old Castlevania and Megaman series where you need to beat the stages, can collect secrets, upgrade your skills, and beat all the bosses to collect the pices of orb to fight one of the final bosses. Also, this game will have almost 2 different endings and it will be a "prologue" to another big project that I was doing for almost 3 years.

It was released by first time on the #GbJam4 on Gamejolt and removed a month later 'cause I wanna do something better with the game idea, and on September 13th after a year, I started to remaking it.

Synopsis.

Year 42 after the timeline collapse, a few months before the events of REGEN. Finally, after a long time of investigation and restarts, The King found a solution to save his timeline from the constant destruction. They will need to reconstruct the Orb of Judge. Now is your time to help the universe to be reconstructed, before the evil forces takes control of the orb, and makes an universe under his reign.
Come on Kvol, it's time to discover all the secrets of the Graveyard Garden!

Updates.
September 19, 2016:
  • Falling Damage.
  • Attack system & breakeable items.
  • Healers.
September 20, 2016:
  • Added a mini heart.
  • Now the healers show how much they heal.
  • Change collitions system.
  • Stars background.
  • Invisible player glitch solved.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:27:53 AM by D-Andrew » Logged

|| Steam || Twitter || Discord ||
DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »

I was improvement trying to make the game feels more... "realistic"?
And I some falling damage who increases with the falling speed, it was easiest than I think, just add a few of code on the landing event.

Code:
        if (vspeed >= yspd_max+2) && (round(ac_dmg) >= 1) {
            // Stuns the Player
            can_move = false;
            is_duck = true;
            sprite_index = s_Player_Duck;

global.HP -= round(ac_dmg);    // Accumuled dmg on fall
            sound_play(snd_Land);
            ac_dmg = 0;
            alarm[0] = room_speed/2;
        };

I use the animation of the Stage 01 intro to make him looks more "damaged".

Normal size vs Streched size

Also, I added the attack mechanism, using some old sprites and remake it with the 4 colours limitation. With this, I did some breakeable items which just can drop HP at the momment, but soon I'll add another things to drop.

All of this in action seems like this:

lyoy2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:48 AM »

nice Art direction Wink
Reminds me gameboy era.
When do you want to release your game ?

Lio

Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »

Neat, nice palette. I like the tease of it being a precursor to a larger vision.
Good UI too.

I'm not a huge fan of the CRT effect, since it crinkles and artefacts a style that's really nice and sharp. I feel that the style itself is enough of an appeal to the nostalgia of your influences without an additional shader. I'm also just a little bias against them in general though.

It's looking great though keep it up.

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »

nice Art direction Wink
Reminds me gameboy era.
When do you want to release your game ?

Lio

Thank you!, I wanna try to publish the game between the second and the last week of October.  Smiley

Neat, nice palette. I like the tease of it being a precursor to a larger vision.
Good UI too.

I'm not a huge fan of the CRT effect, since it crinkles and artefacts a style that's really nice and sharp. I feel that the style itself is enough of an appeal to the nostalgia of your influences without an additional shader. I'm also just a little bias against them in general though.

It's looking great though keep it up.

Haha, thank you!
I'm think that I'm gonna add an option to disable the CRT shader, 'cause a few people told me that the game needs it to looks better, but at the same time, other people told me that the game doesn't need it 'cause the music and graphics actually makes the nostalgia effect, so, to make the two "sides" happy, I'm gonna add an option to disable the shader.  Shrug
Anyway, thanks for comment!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:47:14 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 10:30:34 PM »

Today I want to improve a bit the background to be less minimalist or less flat, and I add some stars behind the trees, adding to these stars a parallax effect. Isn't the best background, but the composition of it feels more attractive in my opinion, what do you think about it?.
Also, I added a new "inside breakeables" object, insipired on the Castlevania series, I add a mini heart who heals you less than the big heart. Talking about healing, I also create a font to show how much hp you recover by the hearts.
You can see these three things that I add on the gif below.

Also, I change a lil' bit the collition system and what happens when you are idling 'cause I have a glitch which makes the player invisible when you press left and right at the same time, and then jump. When the player tocuh the floor again it becomes invisible when it isn't moving (idk why, is quite farfetched btw).
So I decided to separate in two different block codes the collitions and the sprite change code, and the result was ...

A freaking bug with the backdash.

Anyway, it costs me an hour was easy to solve, just adding an if condition before the press left or right event (or how I love to call it, the plore)

Code:
if (bd_state == 1) || (global.Obtained[1] != true) {
    // Idle player code here
};

I also was able to finish a few more of the Stage 1, but that's something that I'll write tomorrow, maybe. Wink
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:05:52 PM by D-Andrew » Logged

DAndrëwBox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »

Actually I stopped working on this project a while ago 'cause the university and my principal project consumes all my time. Thanks to everybody who comment and follow this for his few develop weeks, and sorry. Sad

I'll be back in a few months to end this project!  Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic