Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:36:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMore than 2 professions to make games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: More than 2 professions to make games?  (Read 645 times)
DigitizedDuck
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:42:42 AM »

I am:

-A 2D artist (4 years of experience)
-A Musician (started this year and doing good so far...)

but I still want to be:

-A coder (already applied to college)
-A 3D modeler (I desire to make a low-poly game)

Do you think, by chance, that I'm pressuring myself too much? Game developing is what I'm striving for ever since I was young. But I am yet to see someone who could handle more than 2 professions. This is scaring since I'll be wasting another 4 years before starting my own projects.
ProjectX593
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »

I think it depends on how much time you have. It'll take you years to get through school, and even more time to learn whatever tools you use to make your game, as well as 3D modeling. Then on top of that, making a game by yourself will take a lot longer than if you work with other people. It has been done though; Stardew Valley is a great example of a game made by one guy.

If you're comfortable taking a lot of time to make your first game, then by all means go for it. If not, maybe consider looking for some teammates before spending all the time and money on school! Smiley
DigitizedDuck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »

My source of income is real estate renting. It means I'm receiving money while doing nothing but collecting the rents that is due. So yes, that's a lot of free time actually, which is why I chose this many professions to master.

What I am thinking right now, is to make free flash mini games until I get comfortable with game design and gain reputation before marching forward with a fully blown project before graduation. Because as an artist, I'm all about composition. Forming a team is unlikely since my current residency is east asia where nobody cares about games (let alone indie games).
ProjectX593
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »

You've got the money, so if you're willing to spend the time then it can certainly be done. It's just going to take a while!
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »

Forming a team is unlikely since my current residency is east asia where nobody cares about games (let alone indie games).

Your team members needn't be local, I imagine: there are a number of means of collaborating via the internet, and thus potentially doing so with people from very different parts of the world. Given your location, time-zones might be an issue (well, unless you're collaborating with people in Oceania, I suppose), but not necessarily an insurmountable one, I feel.

AntonTesh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »

How did you get started in real estate? I've always wanted to move from full time job to a more passive income to be able to have more time for my hobbies. Real estate seems like one way to go and I'm interested in exploring it.

DigitizedDuck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll look into the online collaboration thing as it sound neat.

How did you get started in real estate? I've always wanted to move from full time job to a more passive income to be able to have more time for my hobbies. Real estate seems like one way to go and I'm interested in exploring it.

Tbh the real estate I currently own is an inheritance. But can be achievable if you have a job and drown yourself with several long-term loans for several years. Most people nowadays buy a single apartment for $200k and rent it for 10 years and return the loans with the estate rent payment.

I don't know how things goes in US but I'd look into building hangers. I heard they're cheaper to build and more profitable than regular city estate.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »

Another option is to get your real estate license and make commision money on sales. Huge $$

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic