Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:40:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFeedback on new Business Card
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback on new Business Card  (Read 766 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:24 PM »

Hi Folks!

I'm working on a new business card and could use some feedback! Click Here for direct link since below seems to be cropped.

Thoughts? Note the title changes below my name. Looking for feedback on style and wording.

Thanks!
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »

Those clouds look like a butt farting a lightning bolt

Dunno if that's what you're going for so that could be a plus or minus
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »

Further:  Listing yourself as a "FOUNDER, CRAFTER OF STORIES AND EXPERIENCES" is kinda pretentious.  It doesn't clarify what you can do.  If it was just "Founder of Unbound Creations LLC" then it's "oh this guy is a founder" instead of "Oh this guy thinks he's Willy Wonka"  Even "Founder, Game Designer, and Writer" is too much.  Are you trying to promote yourself as the dude who runs the company?  Then cut the designer and writer bits.  It'd be like saying "Founder of Unbound Pizzeria; dough mixer and delivery driver".

The pixel font is nasty to read, even if you want to push a pixel aesthetic.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »

Do not use pixel fonts.

And imo simpler cards (plane light color, clear text) are a lot more likely to get kept and read by me, but i'm just an art freelancer so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ how it will work for you in the kind of situation you need your card

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I did found my studio and also do lead design, so I thought both points are important to note (i.e. I am the guy to talk to for business networking but I am also the creative lead in it, so not just a paper-pusher). What's wrong with mentioning both?
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:46:07 PM »

My instinct flagged on the more-than-one-title for a few reasons.  Think about your objective with these cards.  If you're giving these out at an event, people are gonna be more interested in what your game or product (music, art, whatever) than who specifically made it.  If you're trying to get hired, no one's going to hire the "founder of a company" to code on their game.  And someone trying to deal with you as a company owner isn't going to care about your programming skill.  It's extremely limiting; especially if you're running a company.  Your company's front facing side should be its accomplishments.  No one cares that Gabe Newell is a good programmer.  People care that he "did half life and steam"

A relative of mine was third place down on the org chart for one of the largest corporations in the world and had very strong opinions on business cards, having seen thousands in his life.  Your card should exist to be contact info and a sort of token of formalized networking.  There's a lot to be said for not having any title on your card at all, since, again, it's extremely limiting.  Especially if you are using flowery language.  What is crafter of stories supposed to mean, exactly?  I guess that's a writer?  It doesn't sit right, immediately, with the reader.

It's hard to be succinct because again, I'm running on trying to justify my immediate revulsion to a big silly title.

But lemme wrap it up neat-like:  Be clean and sharp with your card.  Honestly I'd recommend getting rid of the graphic and gradient entirely and subbing in a smaller icon.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:55:17 PM »

Quick and dirty, but check that out.
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 04:17:40 AM »

I'd go somewhere in between ^ and the ones in the OP. The criticisms of the OP are valid, but this ^ has no hook. I can't remember it 2 seconds after opening the 'post reply' page. Maybe just a simple image or geometric logo?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:24 AM »

"Wow, what an interesting business card!!" doesn't open as many doors as one might think.
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »

Thanks again for going into so much detail and the mockup!

Think about your objective with these cards.

That is what I was thinking actually, and why I keep other stuff I do (like coding) off, since I don't want to advertise that. Basically what I'm thinking:
* Founder - for producers/investors/biz networking/employees, I'm the person to talk to
* Creative Designer - for fellow indie devs (Founder is useful too)
* Writer - for anyone looking to outsource or hire extra game writing (I already had some people contact me about it)

I don't want to make different cards for different occasions either, I know some people advise that, but I always found it redundant. There is no shame in doing more than one thing as long as its reasonable.  I actually got totally unexpected gigs thanks to my old card which was even more diverse, with web dev/game dev/filmmaking (i.e. I'd go tech event and turns out someone needed a cinematographer, bam!).

How about just "Founder and creative Designer" ?

If you're giving these out at an event, people are gonna be more interested in what your game or product (music, art, whatever) than who specifically made it.

I already have flyers for my games when I go to events. Here I am really advertising myself moreso than just my company or specific game.

Your card should exist to be contact info and a sort of token of formalized networking.  There's a lot to be said for not having any title on your card at all, since, again, it's extremely limiting.

Exactly, which is why it is important to remind people what I do when they look at it week later, and have some sort of a graphic to mentally tie me to it. Another producer I spoke with basically told me that.

After PAX I had like 30 cards, going through them I realized I didn't remember everyone especailly if it just listed their name and contact. Those with a unique logo or catchy titles I could connect without needing to google their name.

The criticisms of the OP are valid, but this ^ has no hook. I can't remember it 2 seconds after opening the 'post reply' page.

"Wow, what an interesting business card!!" doesn't open as many doors as one might think.

No, of course not, and that's not the point. If I failed to make an impression in person, a nifty card won't make a difference. But a more interesting design will help people remember me when I give the card. Again, when I receive a unique card and then look at it later, I quickly recall the first look. If it's just another stock text-on-background like you suggested, I have a much harder time recalling who's who  later.

Sorry if I come off a little dismissive, I am brainstorming this as we go along Smiley Even if I don't follow your advice correctly, I am already making modifications based on your input so it's helping A LOT!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:39:59 PM by Koobazaur » Logged
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:47 PM »

How's these for final look? Top or Bottom?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:59:03 PM by Koobazaur » Logged
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »

Still the top one but I'd like it better without the gradient. just the image.

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:45 AM »

And the order is now shipping Smiley New business card is A-GO! Thanks all! Here's what it ended up looking like:

ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »

Wow cool lettering is that Silian Rail?

This design would appeal to me as a game player but not as a business professional.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic