Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:38:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralRacism in Gaming - Lichtspeer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Racism in Gaming - Lichtspeer  (Read 8607 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »

This is what my av used to be on other forum
looks photoshopped

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2016, 05:24:18 AM »

its the whole DARK AND EDGY white on black aesthetic as well.

unfortunately tho, neo nazis arent so easy to spot these days. a lot of them have basically abandoned the skinhead culture and dont wear any visible subcultural markers at all.
the guy whose face i got in was wearing a t shirt with an iron cross that said "WHITE PRIDE WORLD WIDE". i saw another guy at a street market with an ss tattoo on his neck. theres a reason that wales isnt adequately represented in the union jack, and that reason is that the welsh are too stupid to recognise.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »

Cymru byw hir.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »

Cymru byw hir.
welsh isn't a real language but a complicated scam for signwriters to make money. nobody speaks or reads welsh, and the mask slips if you take a train anywhere and the announcements in welsh speak gibberish and then say "platform" in english. how can you not have a word for platform: a bit of ground that you stand on. there are two options, either the welsh language is an elaborate ploy to trick people, or in the entire history of the language and its people nobody ever needed to talk about the floor.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »

It's a successful ploy that the Maltans have used to trick invaders with for centurie
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2016, 01:07:03 PM »

Lol what has this discussion degraded into? We need MOAR controversial commentary to make people shift uncomfortably in their chairs and change their socks due to the sweat of mild stress!  Evil Hand Joystick

Crazy Epileptic

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2016, 01:15:49 PM »

The original statement was quite controversial actually, were you uncomfortable?

absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »

The original statement was quite controversial actually, were you uncomfortable?

You mean about the Nazis? Not at all. They aren't a big presence here outside the prison system. Seen a few here and there with their tats, but they seem to keep to themselves. It's those damn kkk in uniform that you have to worry about 'round these parts.

UPADTE:

Speaking of which:

https://8bitdigi.com/2016/10/01/racists-outraged-that-mafia-iii-allows-players-to-kill-klansmen/

Chime in gentlemen

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »

lets get this baby back on track: resident evil 5 is so good
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »

lets get this baby back on track: resident evil 5 is so good

I find that game hilarious because it's a Japanese attempt to create alternative horror based on their perception of western xenophobia.

I doubt they intended to create a game that is an indirect reflection of apartheid, but yep, that's what happened.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »

Japanese attempt to create alternative horror based on their perception of western xenophobia.
you have an official source for that?
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2016, 02:53:55 PM »

Japanese attempt to create alternative horror based on their perception of western xenophobia.
you have an official source for that?

It's nothing more than a personal observation. Do you see something different?

It's not hard to surmise that, that is what happened. Is it more legit if someone outright says that? Lol, good luck finding a source like that.

Meanwhile, this seems like a good time to reiterate my question:

Is it the games that are racist, or are game developers catering to the taste of an essentially racist society?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:03:38 PM by absolute8 » Logged

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »

that's just assumption then.
I only remember about the trailer and the blood thing in re5 that people linked with aids and white guy shooting black (zombies). i don't remember the apartheid thing.

So i was asking where's the source claiming that re5 devs intentionaly created a  western xenophobia from their japanese point of view.
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2016, 03:20:37 PM »

that's just assumption then.
I only remember about the trailer and the blood thing in re5 that people linked with aids and white guy shooting black (zombies). i don't remember the apartheid thing.

So i was asking where's the source claiming that re5 devs intentionaly created a  western xenophobia from their japanese point of view.

You're fishing for a smoking gun where there likely is none. The whole initial concept of Res 4 and 5 is the idea of being in a place where people look different, talk different and act different than the protagonist and then discovering an unnatural horror. This sets the stage for an inherent sense of uneasiness. Call it culture shock, call it xenophobia, whatever.

The reality is not in the meager intentions of the developers, but the real world reception of the game. It could have been a mad coincidence, but the comparison to Apartheid was made immediately by most people aware of recent African history. The developer even decided to diversify the races of the "zombies[?]" as a result of the backlash.

You think I mean to accuse the developers of Res 5 of racism? Not at all. Honestly, It's irrelevant since it can't entirely be proven and would change nothing.

No, what I intend to prove is that the developers fell victim to racist and xenophobic tastes while trying to raise the bar of their latest game after the success of Res 4.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »

They use american movie as source for research, I think it's fair, google the few interview they made, there was so many unfortunate collision because they didn't do actual historical research :D SO american imagery with unfiltered naivety create a big reveal of what these movie are conveying.

absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2016, 03:47:55 PM »

They use american movie as source for research, I think it's fair, google the few interview they made, there was so many unfortunate collision because they didn't do actual historical research :D SO american imagery with unfiltered naivety create a big reveal of what these movie are conveying.

I would really like to see all their source material. I wonder if "Birth of a nation" is among the pile lol.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »

To be frank ocarina of time wasn't much better if you look carefully. It's not that they are racist per see, but they heavily feed on racist imagery, tropes and cliché. Though nintendo took step to remove what could be removed and avoided this problem in the future by omitting the problematic part entirely of their sequel.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2016, 07:17:22 PM »

Cymru byw hir.
welsh isn't a real language but a complicated scam for signwriters to make money. nobody speaks or reads welsh, and the mask slips if you take a train anywhere and the announcements in welsh speak gibberish and then say "platform" in english. how can you not have a word for platform: a bit of ground that you stand on. there are two options, either the welsh language is an elaborate ploy to trick people, or in the entire history of the language and its people nobody ever needed to talk about the floor.

There is no language in the world that uses more loan words than English.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James Nicoll

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2016, 10:52:06 PM »

Is it the games that are racist, or are game developers catering to the taste of an essentially racist society?

To me, catering to racism is a form of racism. Could you elaborate on the distinction you're making?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2016, 11:22:15 PM »

it was cool when every body lost their shit about resident evil 5 being racist from the trailer so they recoloured some guys from the first area to be an unsettling weird " white " colour but then a couple of hours into the game you shoot guys wearig grass skirts who literally chuck spears at you
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic