Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:58:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralRacism in Gaming - Lichtspeer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Racism in Gaming - Lichtspeer  (Read 8414 times)
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »

I don't have a team to do it justice, I mean no fund too Who, Me?
Also I have some game and some prototype to finish before (though they might prepare it)

Heheh you started something. It does sound super riveting and cool.

Do it.

DO IT!

Hell, I'll do the art if you're going for pixels.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »

dude this need to be full 3D!

Also when tackling something like that I don't want it to be full artsy either, I want something that has good pacing and immersion, to cut the crap that all game like this are gameplay deficient.

The original idea was inspired by a video (2013) and the chase sequence in teh beginning:

and then other idea start to add themselves on top.

The main gameplay idea is to make a spatially aware social negociation game, which I tend to present as the game where you use a gun to don't shoot. But things like distance between people whether your gun is holstered or pointing at something, what you are looking at, where used to create interaction within contextual scenario. The main intention was to use that to convey tension in a way shooter don't do, ie the tension of not shooting.

Also inspired by the theme and argument in mgs2.

absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2016, 07:08:28 PM »

Whoa, well, if you pull it off it would be truly impacting given the current racial tensions.

Meanwhile, I like my horror dark, claustrophobic and pixelated , but that's just meh... Ninja

You should really do it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:15:57 PM by absolute8 » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2016, 12:02:39 AM »

racism is good. [i google "who is racism"] Apologies, I misspoke, I meant to say racism is abhorrent.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2016, 12:04:33 AM »

shithead vr guy hit me up. look at this subtle lampooning of hillary clinton. theyll never tie me back to you or the fur farm
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2016, 05:24:07 AM »

What the hell is racism anyway? seems like some people are describing basic racial discrimination or stereotyping. Aren't these only SYMPTOMS of a greater PROBLEM?

Hmmmmmmm? Ah... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »

Dude, I respect your experiences and perspective but you've spent this whole thread trampling a totally valid lit crit thread lawyering over the meaning of the word racism, which btw by definition actually includes such concepts as discrimination, negative stereotyping.

absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2016, 10:08:13 AM »

Dude, I respect your experiences and perspective but you've spent this whole thread trampling a totally valid lit crit thread lawyering over the meaning of the word racism, which btw by definition actually includes such concepts as discrimination, negative stereotyping.

Valid? Me, trampling? I must be missing something. I just wanted to hear a definition that didn't come from wikipedia or google for a change. Chill out.

Besides, it's a common misunderstanding. People think any mentioning of race is racism, but that just plain isn't true.

Racism is the ability to exercise systemic power against a people based on race.

Earlier I made the following experiential definition of racism from the perspective of one affected by it
Racism isn't a cute, speculative or figurative idea, it is an abrupt disruption in dignity and destiny on the basis of superficial physical traits and appearances.

I guess it's not valid.

I'm over it. This discussion is getting mad pretentious now anyway and I'm not going to take the brunt of any hurt feelings.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:19:59 AM by absolute8 » Logged

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »

Racism isn't a cute, speculative or figurative idea, it is an abrupt disruption in dignity and destiny on the basis of superficial physical traits and appearances.

I guess it's not valid.

I'm over it. This discussion is getting mad pretentious now anyway and I'm not going to take the brunt of any hurt feelings.

No, see, that's the whole thing my post was about: Racism is the things you say it isn't. That's what the word means, and that's how the word is used, and that's what the conversation was about. By coming in and saying 'racism doesn't mean that, you are all wrong' you're both incorrect and not contributing.

However you're one of the I'm assuming few people in this thread with a personal experience with racist oppression, and that's a totally valid perspective. Saying what racism is like to you is useful, interesting, and probably something we all could learn from. Saying that means nobody but you in the whole world knows what the word means is trampling the conversation and derailing it.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »

[...]I had dreamed to make a horror game called white supremacy [...] dude this need to be full 3D! [...]
Great concept! Especially with VR such a game would probably be really intense and hopefully also challenging for a white audience. I remember the game POLICE QUEST: SWAT with many situations where you really thought before shooting. Making this a central game mechanic is probably a really good idea for an intense experience. Maybe 360° live action movie sequences would fit well into such a game.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:44:41 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic