Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:49:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralOculus founder is funding anti-Hillary "shitposting" campaign
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Oculus founder is funding anti-Hillary "shitposting" campaign  (Read 12627 times)
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »

SOFT MAN WITH UNPLEASANT "BABY-STYLE" ARMS AND LEGS: Hello, my name is Palmer Luckey, a name I share with 10% of circus clowns. I am here today to talk to you about my new invention, which is a type of computer that sits one inch from your eyeballs and instantly renders you unlovable even to dogs and cats.

HYPOTHETICAL CROWD RESPONSE (INCORRECT): This man has some interesting ideas. We should hear what he has to say.

HYPOTHETICAL CROWD RESPONSE (CORRECT): Let us pull off his extra large cargo shorts so that we may ridicule his rare medical disorder, "rosacea of the ass".

beautiful

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »

SOFT MAN WITH UNPLEASANT "BABY-STYLE" ARMS AND LEGS: Hello, my name is Palmer Luckey, a name I share with 10% of circus clowns. I am here today to talk to you about my new invention, which is a type of computer that sits one inch from your eyeballs and instantly renders you unlovable even to dogs and cats.

HYPOTHETICAL CROWD RESPONSE (INCORRECT): This man has some interesting ideas. We should hear what he has to say.

HYPOTHETICAL CROWD RESPONSE (CORRECT): Let us pull off his extra large cargo shorts so that we may ridicule his rare medical disorder, "rosacea of the ass".
lol
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

masterful
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »

Brilliant.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »

Good good
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:43 AM »

a shining example for us all

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »

it was ok

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »

it was ok
investigate this man

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »

you can investigate me any time you want baby

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2017, 03:31:08 AM »

Investigate 4/20

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »

famous tesla paypal astronaut elan mucks thinks we're living in the matrix
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2017, 12:02:24 PM »

imo rich people are always right
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »

yeah most rich people arent very left at all

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2017, 05:41:18 AM »

can rich people just give money to the poor instead of political groups?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2017, 08:41:21 AM »

Giving money to the poor is a good thing to do, but unfortunately doesnt fix things in the long term
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/magazine/universal-income-global-inequality.html
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »

Giving money to the poor is a good thing to do, but unfortunately doesnt fix things in the long term
Yeah it's not like the poor are intelligent and invest in stabilizing there situation ... wait no they do that

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »

Yeah it's not like the poor are intelligent and invest in stabilizing there situation ... wait no they do that
Depends on why they're poor. Sometimes they really aren't intelligent and don't bother investing in their situation no matter what they are given or how they are helped (I know far too many people like this). Sometimes their situation is a juggling act between many lives and they don't get ahead because they are invested in keeping many people afloat, no matter what they are given they will always transfer the bulk of it to others. Sometimes their situation is being buried in debt to the extent that any extra money is absorbed immediately into it (a lot of my friends and family members slipped from middle class into near-poverty due to failing health generating ridiculous health cost that their insurance only kind of assisted with). There are just way too many variables, you can't really make the blanket case that the poor will or will not make good use of resources given because the truth really is a grey area involving an enormous amount of lives of different circumstances and priorities.

What I do know is giving someone who is poor resources, be it financial or just general assistance (home repair, etc.) is never a bad thing. Even not having to struggle (as much) for just a little while is sometimes enough to pull someone from the brink of despair and giving them at least a little hope for their life, at least a little hope for some kind of future. That alone might keep them moving along just enough to reach a position some kind of relative stability. That alone should make it worth it. It doesn't matter how effectively they will use it in the long term, or whether it will or will not last, what matters is that in the immediate they all, for the most part, need it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:55:54 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »

I am much more familiar of the issue than before and what it seems, while I'm not an expert, is that in aggregate (discounting specific cases) you better gave people money (aka a generic resource that can be translated in appropriate resources) that they can spend based on their need. Specific resources aren't flexible enough to adapt to specific cases or changing condition, sometimes they tank existing economy because they come as a competition or establish power imbalance in favor of the helper's culture (like with education). The more I learned about charity the more unfit I see them, they are basically business targeted not at the poor by at the donor, and donor are controlling in a bad way, they want to tell the poor what's best for them, it's paternalistic shit most of the time.

It's truer for poor country than rich country who has basic resources and the poor are self selected by the system.

/2c

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »

i wasnt speaking literally. charity by rich donors rarely takes the form of just handing out money to people. if it was that, then yeah i could agree.

but even in the hypothetical situation of rich people from wealthy countries just handing money to poor people from poor countries, it's a question of how the money is distributed, and whether the donor has ulterior motives/expects things in return.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:02:21 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic