Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:44:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralOculus founder is funding anti-Hillary "shitposting" campaign
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Author Topic: Oculus founder is funding anti-Hillary "shitposting" campaign  (Read 12849 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »

https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/922511712573521921

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »

real talk can we start guillotining the ruling class yet

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »

If you cut the head off of one ruling class a new more volatile ruling class sprouts up to fill the void.

Quote from: John Lennon
“When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you – pull your beard, flick your face – to make you fight. Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence and humor.”

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2017, 12:52:18 AM »

lmfao
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »

If you cut the head off of one ruling class a new more volatile ruling class sprouts up to fill the void.
sadly true

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »

just like when you demolish an old building it makes two new even older buildings pop up, and trying to treat a disease just makes you sicker

it's a known fact that nothing bad can ever be removed without actually making it worse

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »

We should kill the king of russia!

YEAH!

We should kill all corrupt business owners!

YEAH!

We should kill all of those with an unfair advantage!

YEAH!

Remember that this is not a slippery slope because it's actually happened.
"If I were the leader of Russia millions wouldn't have died" Yeah, you better try.

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »

just like when you demolish an old building it makes two new even older buildings pop up, and trying to treat a disease just makes you sicker

it's a known fact that nothing bad can ever be removed without actually making it worse
In the midst of trying to roll your eyes I think you missed the point being made.

When it comes to ruling classes the problem is the moment you dismantle one there is a power vacuum that others will inevitably fill, maybe even with good intention, but seldom do people who get a hold of power ever want to give it up. The problem with violent revolution is that you wind up replacing one regime with another that is more than willing to openly assert itself through bloodshed meanwhile whatever systems of law and justice there might have been gets destabilized in the process. The populace at large winds up paying for it in blood (we've seen this play out many times throughout history in many places).

That is the point I think you are missing, I was specifically talking about the violent removal of a ruling class, not the removal of a ruling class in general (for example, through nonviolent means).

Also:

The startling results are depicted in the attached Figure. As you can see, nonviolent campaigns have a 53% success rate and only about a 20% rate of complete failure. Things are reversed for violent campaigns, which were only successful 23% of the time, and complete failures about 60% of the time.  Violent campaigns succeeded partially in about 10% of cases, again comparing unfavorably to nonviolent campaigns, which resulted in partial successes over 20% of the time.

And Chenoweth had more good news: When a government is overthrown nonviolently, the new government is more likely to be democratic, and less likely to itself be overthrown, as compared to those that won using guns and bombs.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:48:41 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »

replied in the SJ-thread

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2017, 12:22:10 AM »

imo once new generations begin to be less prosperous than the last there will be lots of democratic shifts bordering on revolutions because the idea of losing something, of being disadvantaged by the dread terror of ever paying more tax, will not be the electoral existential fear it is at present
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2017, 04:46:22 AM »

Every time I hit a rough patch and complained my mom would always tell me "If it was bad enough you'd have done something about it, so it isn't bad enough yet." Which was true, because when shit did get unbearable for me I would I would be left with no realistic choice but to finally take the measures I should have taken in the first place.

Just how far people will let things deteriorate in their lives before they are willing to take action for the better depends on what their tolerance for suffering is and where they draw the line with their values and sense of decency. The U.S., for example, is a country that is rampant with addiction and distraction. There are all these things that anesthetize (shopping, gambling, entertainment, mind-altering substances, social media, etc.) that more readily available to anyone now than in any other era and it is easy for a lot of people feeling the pressure of a system buckling to just duck-and-cover and think they can just wait it out, even while everyone around them is being torn apart by it. I think for most their numbing mechanism of choice makes their threshold for suffering unrealistically high and their threshold of indifference tragically low.

It scares me to think just how bad it is going to have to get before enough people are compelled to change things.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:54:13 AM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2017, 04:55:33 AM »

what if i told you things are the same in other countries but us is inherently populated by crazy people who just go and wont ever stop
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:40:42 AM by Cobralad » Logged
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2017, 05:34:20 AM »

Sounds plausible.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »

this is one of the best threads
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »

this is one of the best threads
its pretty good
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

People will start acting when the collective atmosphere and pressure will be higher than the collective shame of trying and failling, right now people are still seen as crazy to try and change things.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic