Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:39:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNiTL - Metroid-like (Tech Demo)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NiTL - Metroid-like (Tech Demo)  (Read 460 times)
Niteris
Level 0

NiTL's player character

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2016, 03:38:22 AM »

Hello everyone!

NiTL is a pixel art Metroid-like I've been making in Unity 5.5, so far a lot of the mechanics are done (jumping, running, shooting, etc) and I'd love some feedback!

64-Bit Windows Build  |  32-Bit Windows Build  |  32-Bit Mac Build

The game is fully playable with a controller and/or keyboard.

Controls:            |  Keyboard    |   Controller
Movement            | Arrow Keys |  D-Pad / Left Joystick
Shoot                  |       X          |      X
Jump                   |      Z          |      A
Morph                 |    spacebar  |      B
Inject E-Tank        |       V         |      Y
Aim Up                |  Left shift    |  Left Bumper
Aim Down            |       C         |  Left Trigger
Equip Missiles      |        A         |  Right Bumper
Sprint                  |  Left Ctrl     |  Right Trigger
Pause                  |       P          |    Select

If you like the game and would like to support it, please donate  Gentleman

AntonTesh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »

Looks like a lot of core mechanics are done and it feels pretty good. Cancelling a jump by releasing at different heights was nice. The jump/gravity felt a little heavy though. The jump height is good I just feel like the character should have a little more air time. The character also felt a little sluggish for a split second when starting to move in either direction. One thing I loved was the upside down animation when aiming downward in the air Smiley

These are just my opinions for how it should feel, hopefully they're useful!

Niteris
Level 0

NiTL's player character

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »

Looks like a lot of core mechanics are done and it feels pretty good. Cancelling a jump by releasing at different heights was nice. The jump/gravity felt a little heavy though. The jump height is good I just feel like the character should have a little more air time. The character also felt a little sluggish for a split second when starting to move in either direction. One thing I loved was the upside down animation when aiming downward in the air Smiley

These are just my opinions for how it should feel, hopefully they're useful!

Hey man, glad you liked it!

Are there any special circumstances under which the character felt a little sluggish when start to move? If you tried moving from a crouch, there's a built in delay before he starts moving since otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn when in a crouch. But if it's not that I'd love to know more!

The upside down animation was a placeholder but I swear more and more people keep saying they like it Well, hello there!

AntonTesh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »

I played with it some more and I'm actually going to give you the complete opposite opinion. I think the character should build up momentum for a split second before hitting full speed running. It looks like they just go full speed in the direction you hold and that was what felt a little off to me.
Another thing that would be nice is showing the controller mappings in the demo as some debug text maybe (and fixing what the items say they should be). I had to alt-tab back to this post to see the real controls :p

I think I discovered everything in my second play-through and it looks and feels super impressive. You really have the Metroid mechanics down!

Niteris
Level 0

NiTL's player character

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »

I played with it some more and I'm actually going to give you the complete opposite opinion. I think the character should build up momentum for a split second before hitting full speed running. It looks like they just go full speed in the direction you hold and that was what felt a little off to me.

I made the character go full speed from start when running normally to make the controls tighter, it gives more precise and consistent movement control when you want to go forward a couple pixels when stand on an edge.

Another thing that would be nice is showing the controller mappings in the demo as some debug text maybe (and fixing what the items say they should be). I had to alt-tab back to this post to see the real controls :p

I think I discovered everything in my second play-through and it looks and feels super impressive. You really have the Metroid mechanics down!

I'll see about updating the item text and possibly adding in on-screen button maps, that's good info to know (double entendre intended).

Currently a bit busy doing some freelance work to save up funding for the game, so it'll have to wait a bit though Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic