Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:35:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNeed A Name - Mini Metroidvania Like
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need A Name - Mini Metroidvania Like  (Read 5199 times)
Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »

Hey, I'm back making a game!  I've never actually made one.  I want to create something fun to make music to.  This combines past efforts and more.  Typically I've focused on forward-forcing levels but have begun playing with making areas you can return to.  This is something I always wanted to do but didn't know how.

Image links keep breaking for some reason..  It's a jump and shoot platformer.

It opens the possibility of collecting new power-ups.  I was just going to have the player get full abilities and have the terrain show how to do things.  Now thinking of both..  This will be where I'll post progress and hopefully gather ideas to make something playable.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:43:47 PM by Aamp » Logged

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 02:21:08 PM »

Adding an ability:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:26:37 AM by Aamp » Logged

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »

hey. try using imgur if u arent already. or well that shouldn't break atleast Smiley

edit: just checked ur soundcloud, the track "thriving" sounds cool! it sounds kinda uplifting and stuff Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:13:37 PM by Jalapenosbud » Logged

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:21:38 AM »

A good start!

My last game:

Supporter of
Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »

This is awesome guys. I've got the first few rooms linked to move freely between them and am really looking forward to adding music.

@Jalapenosbud Thank you for the suggestion and for checking my SoundCloud.  Thriving is actually re-posted from Jean Of mArc's profile who makes great music Smiley. Thank you too, @freank Smiley

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 01:20:24 AM »

@Jalapenosbud Thank you for the suggestion and for checking my SoundCloud.  Thriving is actually re-posted from Jean Of mArc's profile who makes great music Smiley

oh yea i see the reference tag now that you mention it.. hmm.. kinda embarrasing.. well i like "We met here years ago"! hehe
and your game seems like a good start, i like the door transition

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »

Thanks. I appreciate any and all feedback. I'm glad it's looking like a good start just now have to figure out where to start lol.

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:21:59 PM »

I've been busy but also a little lost so I'm drawing a map.  I thought this would over-complicate my (hoping) first game and it's unplanned for but it's helping me out. 

I haven't made all the rooms that connect to the one with 4 doors yet but theoretically should be able to make this work and if it does, I'll probably crap myself lol.   

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:54:42 AM »

I have 3 out of 4 doors working in one room so far Smiley  I had to nix an idea for a power up and just offer it as standard.   This makes the controls feel better but quicker so the pacing for the next power up is too fast.

Blocking that power up for later seems like the thing to do now which means I have to add another new skill to get by.  I thought about missiles, charge beam, a simple different shot, bombs...  But then I decided on something else.

Throwing stuff around!  This will have various uses in game and should make exploring new areas more interesting.  I've updated the second post to show a gif of this being tested in action.   

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »

Everything in the pink is all connected.  Idk much about programming so it feels good to have this playing more like a game now and I'm happy.  Might not make my target date in mind for a done level but maybe the additions I've been making will be worth it.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »

Looks pretty good so far. Gooooood luck and I will keep an eye on it Smiley

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 05:58:59 PM »

Thank you so much, @alvarop !  I'll be keeping this updated frequently Smiley

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 06:05:10 PM »

mini metroid? mi me... Mimi?

Mimi's miscellaneous misadventures. Mimi Mimimimi: Mi.

Shrug

Great map! Durr...? Hand Thumbs Up Right

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 06:49:28 AM »

@flipswitchx Can Mimi be pronounced like Meme?  I kind of want to make it a game about memes now hehe.

Thanks!  Drawing the map first is helpful to see an area as a whole.

Right now, I'm just going back and re-working things.  When I started making this, it was pretty loosely structured but I'm introducing some standards.  When I work on a new area, I'll think of something better and small adjustments can make for big changes down the pipe.

Another thing happened as well.  I'm starting to give a crap about graphics. I'm using a lot of open source tiles, some modified and mixed in with my own so that the game actually looks good.   

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »

I think Metroidvania games grow themselves when making them.  The blue part of the map was all I was going to make first for about a 5 minute demo.. 

I'm going to re-instate a power-up, just because it feels good to get when I toggle it in a certain area which means I'll be making another area for the throwing stuff one and every time I start a new area, I think fml but I'm getting good at it.

This entire map is playable now which is going to be pretty sweet when it's done.  Going to take a small break to make some music Smiley 

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic