Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:54:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRoguemance - A roguelite with romance
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Roguemance - A roguelite with romance  (Read 23092 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »

I made this Brazilian valentine's day ("dia dos namorados") image for my girlfriend with us as Roguemance characters. She wishes the girl was holding the sword in the cover art.

Thanks for your feedback! Smiley

As for the linear spectrum of emotions, I know it's weird to simplify them like that, but I think it will be necessary in this game for gameplay purposes. A more narrative and loose game would be able to give each emotion its own experience, but here I'm going for systems so they need to fit together.

I felt like the player had no clue of their progression and goal. To fix this, today I paper prototyped a change to the crossroads. I tried an actual map you could explore, with a starting point and an ending. This proved to be a terrible idea. It introduced what you have to do (reach the ending). The cool things about the crossroads is balancing what you want to do and what your partner wants to do. By adding something you have to do, you make the other parts meaningless. Having to do something is too much of a burden to the interesting choices. It overrides them. So now I'm definitely sticking to the simpler crossroads.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »

Yeah I did realize after giving my feedback that a linear spectrum is probably the best from a design standpoint. Maybe it couldn't hurt to obfuscate that a bit by discarding the spectrum of color, though. Players will probably pick up on what's happening regardless of whether the colors transition smoothly.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »

Maybe they would, but I'm having such a hard time communicating the mechanics that I'm going for super obvious right now. I think it has to do with Roguemance being very unique mechanically, you have to learn a lot, even if it's simple. It's also strikes players as similar to other games before they know it's not, so breaking expectations and teaching new things is hard. But it's also fun to design these things.

Partners sometimes get really excited to go somewhere. I swear it's a feature. At least now it is.

Making random paths for variety. Must add visual variety too so it looks like a different place each time.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »

That guy is excited! Grin

Something seemed off when I saw the path going to the right.  Then I reliazed that the vertical patterns make it seem like that it's a cliff.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:44 AM »

Yeah, patterns should be better now. Thanks! Smiley

Here are a bunch of gifs!

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »

I have been seeing this on twitter a lot! Lovely concept  Grin

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »

Freezing enemies is a thing now. No, you're not gonna jump! Do you guys realize the implications of this?! Now you can break patterns! Smiley

Teleport!

You can make the enemy get hit by their own attack if you teleport with them. Pro plays.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »

New scenario! Greenish caves thing Smiley

I am wondering if there is a way to merge the side view with the top-down view. This would cut my workload by 50% with new scenarios and I think it would solve some problems. But it brings a lot of new ones, so I'm not sure at all!

Edit:

I could do this instead of the top-down crossroads, does it make sense?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:13:05 PM by AD1337 » Logged

generica22
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »

Hoping the more hyper SJW feedback on this thread (''no genders...'' ''why is the girl standing behind him'' ''I'm lgbtq so..'') doesn't become what the game is about or the majority of average Joes on reddit/4chan will be giving this a miss, if not downright hating on it. Otherwise it looks fantastic if it's a game about your own idea of love rather than Kotaku/tumblr's.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2017, 07:48:11 PM »

The new environment looks awesome! I support the switch to combine the side-on and the top-down views if it means more varied scenery. I understand the crucial importance of scope control but when you mentioned previously that there was only one area planned, I was a bit disappointed. If we can somehow have reduced scope and new environments, that's ideal.  Kiss

And generica22 does raise a good point (welcome to the forums! Smiley ) I hope wasn't lost in everything else I said. Don't let anything stop you from expressing your own experience with love and loss. Art doesn't have to be a model of perfect social behavior or all activism. But on the other hand, (speaking for myself at least) really I don't think I've been hyper SJW, and 4chan doesn't strike me as a good target audience for this. My two cents.

And for another obligatory (in this case, queer) media recommendation, the Love is Love comic anthology should be on your reading list.  Gomez

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your comments!

I'm gonna give the environments some time off while I consider how I'm gonna implement them. It's a presentation issue that can be changed later on. The mechanics are more important right now and maybe they will dictate the art.

Breakups! When a character is about to leave your party, you get a chance to keep them. But you lose HP! You also lose <3 either way, but more if you break up.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »

I'll just throw some stuff I've been working on here:

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2017, 05:09:55 PM »

Can the love desert be the place you go after a heartbreak & be single for years and years and things never get better?   Tired

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »

Yes, but I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm not sure if there will be only 2 genders in the game, or if characters are gonna be gender-neutral and you use your imagination. Or maybe you can input your own gender by typing. We'll see.

I think gender-neutral options are a must for a game like this. You have got nothing to lose by adding gender-neutral options, as well as lesbian/gay/bi relationship options. Yes, the cost is higher, but it is worth the effort.

There are not nearly enough games about dating that include more than just "male" and "female" (sometimes you don't even get a female option) and heterosexual romance, so by having those options, it is already a big differential for your game.

Don't let people scared of the SJW boogeyman convince you those things aren't important. At the same time, there is no need to compromise your view of your own game because of other people's agendas.

Anyways, cool project. I am following you on twitter. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:46:26 AM by LyricalReverie » Logged
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2017, 12:22:08 AM »

The concept is very original. I'm totally into it. keep it on!  Grin

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2017, 01:11:24 AM »

wow. amazing

My last game:

Supporter of
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »

Hey everyone. Sorry about not posting here more often. Development is still going and I post regular updates on my twitter.

So, yeah. Unless you guys really really want me to post here, I'll just keep posting on twitter mostly.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »

It's ALIVE!  ... or with a distorted pronunciation: It's A-LOVE!

Well, twitter is twitter and devlog is devlog.  There's only so much twitter's character and media limit allows. Wink

While you can get feedback on both, here you can get into more detailed discussions in something comes up.  Also, from marketing point of view, having presence at multiple places can potentially get you more followers.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »

Trailer is out! Roguemance is coming February 14!

Wishlist Roguemance on Steam!

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/742530/Roguemance/
Press kit: http://www.indiedb.com/games/roguemance/presskit
Discord: https://discord.gg/TsaGBWk

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic