Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:28:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRoguemance - A roguelite with romance
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Roguemance - A roguelite with romance  (Read 24850 times)
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2017, 03:26:33 AM »

The website is very easy to navigate! Well done!

I think the color palette / scheme blends together perfectly.

I also second the platform; that'd be the biggest thing people will probably want to know on the website.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »

This game looks like it has the potential to become remarkably homosexual and I strongly approve
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »

Good question, I'm not entirely sure. I've only been using the forum quite recently, so I'm not sure what it was like years ago. I also have an interest in art/graphics, but music is my main thing  Grin

Cool! I hope you stick around the DevLog. Smiley

For me, I honestly just really want to play this game--the theme is unique and well-presented. So besides our chat from months ago, I just try to leave non-music-related constructive criticism to make the wait shorter.

So on that note!

1. I love the designs for the different characters! Especially those enemies. I wasn't certain if you'd make the game hokey or raunchy, but uh...I guess I have my answer now  Embarrassed Kiss

2. From a consumer's standpoint, I'd want to know if the game's coming out on Win/macOS/Linux. You might not know that info yet, but if you do it might be nice to add that to the site!

Congrats on deciding on a release date! I'll set a timer.  Beer!

Oh, I know. You are certainly the biggest contributor here, MrHassan! I hope you know how valuable your support is <3

The website is very easy to navigate! Well done!

I think the color palette / scheme blends together perfectly.

I also second the platform; that'd be the biggest thing people will probably want to know on the website.

Thanks! I still don't know which platforms I'll be targetting, all I know is Steam. So I'll leave it like that for now.

This game looks like it has the potential to become remarkably homosexual and I strongly approve

Thank you, me too! Grin

Today is Valentine's Day, so first of all: Happy Valentine's Day!

I've taken the opportunity to promote Roguemance today as much as I could. Coverage was pretty good! Here's what I got:

The result was an increase of over 300% to our mailing list subscriptions. Yay!

I wish RPS and some other sites would have covered it like PCGamer, but I understand. Can't have it all! The best I got was Philippa (RPS) and Patrick Keplek to reply telling me to send them a build when it's ready. I will! I will also keep trying to do marketing even though I have no idea what I'm doing. I think the message, images and positioning could have been way better. Anyway, I tried and will keep trying. Smiley

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »

Here's an article I think provides some cool insight into gendered character designs: Shovel Knight rethinks gender in retro games with Body Swap Mode. If you haven't seen it already, I'd recommend it for inspiration in how you choose to tackle the character gender stuff we've been talking about for Roguemance!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »

Here's an article I think provides some cool insight into gendered character designs: Shovel Knight rethinks gender in retro games with Body Swap Mode. If you haven't seen it already, I'd recommend it for inspiration in how you choose to tackle the character gender stuff we've been talking about for Roguemance!

Thanks for the recommendation! Smiley

I've been working on the exploration map. First I made this mockup:

Then I slowly made it functional. Still some stuff left to do, but it's kinda working.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »

Working on new crossroads.

MrHassanSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:35 AM »

Gorgeous as usual. I like the sheen on that pond!

Do you have a sense of how many/what types of environments the Heartipelago will have?

Writer and Composer for media. Check out my work!
The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »

Very rarely have I actually liked any of the pixelart in games here on TIGsource, to break kayfabe. This has really incredible looking art though and just looking at it as I scrolled through here for the first time - it leaves a huge impression on the tone of the game you're going for. I haven't actually read the thread yet but I'm pretty stoked about what you're making here.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »

Do you have a sense of how many/what types of environments the Heartipelago will have?

Thanks! Very few. Right now I'm working with the possibility of only 1, and maybe adding a couple more. Of course it would be cool to have a bunch of different ones, but it's a heavy workload for an already overworked solo developer. The dream would be snow, caves, desert, dungeon and all that stuff, but I'm not counting on it. Especially if I give the art as much detail as I am doing right now, because then each environment would require many hours of work.

Very rarely have I actually liked any of the pixelart in games here on TIGsource, to break kayfabe. This has really incredible looking art though and just looking at it as I scrolled through here for the first time - it leaves a huge impression on the tone of the game you're going for. I haven't actually read the thread yet but I'm pretty stoked about what you're making here.

Thank you! It's a big compliment considering how much great pixel art I find here.

Started implementing the new scenario.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »

Funny bugs:

Early UI mockup:

Birds and a butterfly:

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2017, 01:06:31 AM »

Birds and butterfly, super nice! Keep going!

traisane
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2017, 04:05:22 AM »

There is something kawaii about this one  Hand Thumbs Up Right
MrHassanSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2017, 05:08:25 AM »

Thanks! Very few. Right now I'm working with the possibility of only 1, and maybe adding a couple more. Of course it would be cool to have a bunch of different ones, but it's a heavy workload for an already overworked solo developer. The dream would be snow, caves, desert, dungeon and all that stuff, but I'm not counting on it. Especially if I give the art as much detail as I am doing right now, because then each environment would require many hours of work.

To be honest, the world looks unique enough that—depending on how long you imagine a playthrough will take—one environment might be all you need. But something about the art makes one want to see more types of environments rendered in that style, so great job on that front!

Writer and Composer for media. Check out my work!
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »

Will catch up with the development since I was last here, but will mention one thing:

I like the concept and execution for the most part but ... it's hard to see the hand-holding.  If I hadn't seen the previous images, I would've missed it.  On a similar note, I wonder if they were holding hands with their other hands (i.e. the ones closer to the viewer) and have the sword and shield in the other hands.  Then the hand-holding would be more apparent.  Just a thought. Smiley

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2017, 01:10:11 AM »

I fully agree!

you should go with something like this I think:

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »

Somehow I missed the post with the new website and the release date. The site is very pretty, and your release date is very appropriate. Might make Valentines Day actually mean something next year, lol #dyingInside  Lips Sealed

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2017, 06:57:15 AM »

I like the hand-holding being more subtle, but the logo is right in front of it, just move it.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

Thanks guys! Smiley

Been a long time since my last post. So what's new: I playtested a new build (0.2) at my local meetup and also in an awesome trip to Germany (and other parts of Europe) for a bunch of events, including AMAZE in Berlin and GameCamp in Munich.

I spent a month travelling and making 0 progress, and now I'm back (albeit with a flu) so I'm slowly making progress again.

A or B colors for these UI icons? They go from "mad" to "glad". Help me I'm colorblind

The most misunderstood part of Roguemance 0.2 was the heart below characters. Trying to improve that.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »

Here's another article I think would lend inspiration.

I'm not sure if the colors on the hearts should follow a spectrum like that. I like the red for the angry, but for sad faces everyone will be used to blue, not lighter red, and smiley faces yellow, not green.

So even though the colors won't go in order of progression, I think on their own, the faces will be more easily readable as the emotions they're meant to if you pick the following:

Angry: A
Sad: B
Neutral: skip a column, use the Gray A if you're going for more of a "depressed" emotionless state, otherwise the pink from B
Smirk: Pinkish B
Smile: scrap both, make it yellow
Exuberant Smile: Yellow, with radiating light or sparkles? Tongue

By using those, the emotions would be more readable but the fact that they're a simple linear spectrum in the mechanics would be harder to grasp. But IMO it shouldn't be a linear spectrum anyway!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »

Yeah, I also wonder about the color scheme.  Other than what Nathy mentioned, green could also mean envy and the "You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry" guy. Wink  Plus, based on their size, it almost seems like that a heart could be a character's pet.

Regarding the hand-holding, here's another option:
https://twitter.com/thephilwells/status/871159822590365696
[img w=400]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBb7OcFXYAA6c4O.jpg[/img]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic