Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:44:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignReviewing Indiecade Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Reviewing Indiecade Feedback  (Read 1083 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:02:47 PM »

Hi, I just received Indiecade feedback on Quantum Pilot.
Gameplay video in my sig v v , or PM me for a download code if you'd like to try.
I would like your design & production advice on this feedback, which is not unique.

I think you have a neat idea that I've seen in other experiments! It will require fleshing out in order to be a more compelling experience. Right now it feels like a prototype of one mechanic.
I would encourage you to continue working on it, as it sounds like a very personal and passionate project of yours, and I wonder what a final game in its genre would look like from your unique perspective.

While the main hook is somewhat unique, it's not enough to carry the game. The idea of destroying past selves is a strong message, and the mechanics, design, and environments should reflect this. Find a way to enhance this core theme. Add variance to the enemy ships, maybe color-code the player ship so when the clone appears as the previous color, the player can make the association with past actions.

Interesting idea. It feels like an interesting experiment that could be fleshed out into more.
I had to focus very specifically in order to realize that I was fighting myself. If I hadn't been told beforehand, I probably wouldn't have noticed it and thought that it was just AI controlling the enemies. Perhaps some coloring or other visual cues would help with that.
In the time I had with the game, my strategy ultimately boiled down to (A) don't shoot too much, and (B) try to stagger when you shoot [for example, don't shoot always at the beginning of a round]. In the end, this felt pretty simple. For me, it didn't go as deep as I had hoped. Perhaps designing other mechanics and behaviors that really play to this mechanic could make it shine more.
Also, there is a lot that could go into polish on the look and feel of the game.

The color-coding clones has been brought up a few times. Currently, the color of the ship indicates what weapon you are using. This isn't very impactful early on in the game as the clones always have the same weapon as you. In the second half, your weapon is randomized each level so its helpful to see which clones have which weapons so you can anticipate their shots.

What do you suggest? Some possibilities: distinguish ship weapon by a symbol or mark of some kind. Show weapon name at bottom of screen or in icon format. Show weapon icon inside of enemy ship so you know what weapon by icon and what pattern by their color.

Hm now that I think of it, it's not critical that the color match weapon.. I did that to distinguish weapons & give a sense of progression. I see that even in the second half, remembering which color = which pattern you could still remember which weapon you had then.

Look and feel: It is very abstract. Ships are 4 vertex polygons, bullets are short segments. Pixel-perfect hit detection and very simple shrinking circular explosions. Every object is 1 color against a black background. I think a lack of distinguishing color between the bullets & ships is a failure here. Perhaps all bullets should be red, and enemy ships are never red?

A more complicated ship design could be in order here, perhaps something with multiple segments of different colors. I want any changes to still be very readable with regards to position. I originally had the clones be hollow outlines and they were difficult to track.

Additional layers & mechanics: Oh boy. The game is intentionally simple here and I haven't thought far beyond this. I've made a few experiments in multiplayer competitive but I'm not sure what layers I could add here. Open to suggestions.

"Mechanics, Design & Environments" - what could I do here that would be compelling & dramatic?

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »

So I've tried out color-coded ships. It looks nicer imo because there are more colors on the screen. I made enemy bullets red so they'd be easier to pick out to dodge. It works well, more readable.

Not sure that color coded really makesa difference.. the real-time mode is pretty fast so maybe color coded will help you fight better but probably you'll just have to dodge really well. The other mode pauses bullets & enemies when you hold still, then draws their path on the screen.

The main benefit I see of color coding is to teach the player that the enemies copy you. It's the core of the game, yet I've seen people have fun when they don't know. But selling the game it is definitely a marketing point.. so I'm not sure how I feel about making it so obvious when it's fun when you don't know (potentially more fun with the discovery aspect) and not very strategically meaningful to 99% of play. But I guess it makes your actions more obvious, so that's good to see player agency? I'm not very convinced though. Hm. Please share your thoughts!

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:55 PM »

My suggestion would also be visually and mechanically distinctive ships, with different movement, weapons, special abilities, etc.  I think the minimalism currently works against your core mechanic somewhat.  The core mechanic is interesting (and discoverable) insofar as the player can remember what they did in the last "round", so it's in the interest of that mechanic to make the rounds more distinct.  If you're roughly doing the same thing each round (moving in four directions and shooting) there's not much to seize on as "I remember doing that".  (And in this game, strategy lies in anticipation, and so memory is the mother of strategy.)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »

My suggestion would also be visually and mechanically distinctive ships, with different movement, weapons, special abilities, etc.  I think the minimalism currently works against your core mechanic somewhat.  The core mechanic is interesting (and discoverable) insofar as the player can remember what they did in the last "round", so it's in the interest of that mechanic to make the rounds more distinct.  If you're roughly doing the same thing each round (moving in four directions and shooting) there's not much to seize on as "I remember doing that".  (And in this game, strategy lies in anticipation, and so memory is the mother of strategy.)

Hm! Special abilities would make things much more memorable than dodging & shooting. Thanks for the pointer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic