Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:32:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEMPORIUM || available now on steam!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: EMPORIUM || available now on steam!  (Read 10575 times)
TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:36:08 PM »

EMPORIUM is a little game I've recently started working on. Gameplay will be very stripped back,
centred around a single dialogue between two characters

Looking forward to posting more as I progress and you can also keep yourself up to date on my website and twitter twitter

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:30:46 AM by TomKitchen » Logged

ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:12:29 PM »

Artwork is mysterious, I like it!

What kind of game is this?
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »

Even without a dead body in front I'd still assume something unsettling was happening here. Looks great!

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »

Artwork is mysterious, I like it!

What kind of game is this?
Cheers Smiley The majority of the the game is a collection of small conversations, with multiple choice dialogue responses. It'll be a very short vignette sort of thing, a focus on interpreting the environment and exploring the branching dialogue.

Even without a dead body in front I'd still assume something unsettling was happening here. Looks great!
Also cheers! I'm having a lot of fun learning how to create a sense of forebode with the just lighting alone. A slumped body is the icing on the cake!

Frogs_Milk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »

Always love the minimalist route with limited color palette. Lighting sells the solitude atmosphere very well.

FrogsMilk. Udderly Absurd.

@FrogsMilk
[email protected]
TheItalianeer.com
TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 10:17:35 AM »

Always love the minimalist route with limited color palette. Lighting sells the solitude atmosphere very well.
Cheers very much!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I've been animating! My background is in 2D illustration/design with a little bit of animation hear and there, so it's a been a rewarding struggle teaching myself to work in 3D!

Here's a look at some of the basic animations I've been putting together for EMPORIUM (apologies for the dense GIF compression!)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like I said my background is in art so my programming ability isn't amazing. To balance out this I've been working with the unity add-on Adventure Creator to implement all my logic and gameplay. Adventure Creator is essentially a node based visual scripting add-on with a focus on classic adventure game mechanics - I'm using it mainly for its dialogue system, as well as basic logic and interaction. It's been a blast so far, and with my very limited knowlage of C# I'm still able to implement the odd custom script if needs be! 

I've also put some polish on this stairwell scene, as well as implement the necessary gameplay.

Currently I'm putting the finishing touches to the final scene, relatively chuffed so far. Looking forward to showing it off here!

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 07:59:44 AM »

Today I have been mostly modelling this caravan -

Still pretty new to working in 3D so it took me waaay longer than it should have to put this together! Let's take a look at it in game and lit anyways -

_________________________________________________________________________________

I've also been putting in some work on the final scene as well. Super happy with how bright and vacant this area is compared to the rest of the game - contrast is key!! I'm still having an internal battle over how minimal to go with this scene . . .

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »

Love the look so far, and the zoomed out perspective really adds to it. Excited to hear some of the music; solo cello sounds like a really awesome choice. What is the gameplay going to be like?

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 04:32:20 AM »

Love the look so far, and the zoomed out perspective really adds to it. Excited to hear some of the music; solo cello sounds like a really awesome choice. What is the gameplay going to be like?
Cheers very much Smiley the gameplay will be very stripped back, just a single branching conversation between the player and another character, a short game loop, hopefully a focus on multiple play throughs. Tiptoeing on interactive narrative ground

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »

Looks like we've made a friend. . . He seems like the talkative type. . .

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 02:28:19 AM »

So first off - If you're curious about the themes I'm exploring in EMPORIUM then look no further! I had a little chat with the good folks at KillScreen.com and they put together a little write-up on EMPORIUM. You can have yourself a read HERE

_________________________________________________________________________________

I've been working a lot on the interior of the emporium recently . . .

Still got a way to go yet. Obsessing over lighting is slowing me down a little!

Also here's a render of that halogen lamp from the above screenshot. Just because it took me ages to build!

And lastly - For that authentic DevLog feel - Here's an in-engine shot of the interior scene.

lalilulelo159
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 03:52:52 AM »

The aesthetics reminds me of INSIDE. Looks amazing.
Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 04:14:51 AM »

Yeah, also reminded me of INSIDE! Which is a great reference btw. The game looks beautiful, could you share some more of the references? Great job transitioning from 2D to 3D, the animations are looking pretty good.

Again, beautiful work, the mood looks incredible and it looks like you found the perfect tone for it.

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 07:34:29 AM »

Looks fantastic!

The scene inside the Emporium is a little confusing because the entrance way looks like it's own structure, not a passageway through a wall. Since you have your fixed perspective, and a big structure on the inside of the Emporium anyways, could I suggest tracing the bottom of the outside wall along the ground, just to give some clarity/point of reference?

I'm gonna be honest, I think the final area could be improved, too. The fact that the pattern of the windows/vents doesn't continue past the brickhouse is disconcerting and doesn't seem logical for the kind of megastructure/industrial setting you have. Perhaps to keep things proper barren, the windows/vents can be collapseable, and past the brickhouse you just have the roof textures at floor level?

Also, the fact that the spacing of the columns is wider at the torn fence section is very strange - why would the builders design that one wider section? Was it built broken?

Maybe these are questions that will be answered in game but right now they're just confusing, and not in the good way.

All that being said, I do think the project looks really cool! I dig the orthographic perspective and concept! Your models, esp. the trailer, look great. I'm wondering, is the focus going to be on some kind of story/reveal or will it be simulation/trading based? I think the highly patterned nature of the architecture is making me want the game to be highly replayable with different possibilities, just because of all the different, yet identical structures. If that makes sense.

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 11:18:32 AM »

The scene inside the Emporium is a little confusing because the entrance way looks like it's own structure, not a passageway through a wall.
Yep, I just dropped that entrance way in, still need to place it exactly, probably a little more in the middle I reckon. The whole interior layout is still very much ongoing. But the hope is to be a little confusing, or at least disorientating.

The idea is that you're playing though a sort of memory, and in this memory you entered the Emporium through the main entrance, but left a different way - so from the perspective of 'inside the Emporium' the original entrance way is just another "memory exhibit". You'll notice red rope barriers with white placards placed around the interior, these denote other "memory exhibits". I still need to add red rope to the entrance structure, as well as add the other exhibits. When you walk up to the "memory exhibits", the camera pulls in and you can read the placard text, which will sort of give hints to the back story.

The tradesman character, who you see sitting by the trailer, was someone who had a stall at the Emporium (still need to make the stall). You and him are sort of sharing the same memory space. They'll be a large cavernous scene inside his trailer that will house his own "memory exhibits" and shed a little light on his backstory.     

I'm gonna be honest, I think the final area could be improved, too. The fact that the pattern of the windows/vents doesn't continue past the brickhouse is disconcerting and doesn't seem logical for the kind of megastructure/industrial setting you have. Perhaps to keep things proper barren, the windows/vents can be collapseable, and past the brickhouse you just have the roof textures at floor level? 
Ah yep, I've still got a lot more work to do on the roof scene!

Maybe these are questions that will be answered in game but right now they're just confusing, and not in the good way. 
There's an odd internal logic to the game - hopefully once it's all together it'll land more on disorientating/intriguing as opposed to confusing/frustrating! I don't know how clear the exact logic of the "memory exhibit" concept will be in the final product - but it seems like an interesting way to tell a story and hopefully people can engage with it somehow!

All that being said, I do think the project looks really cool! I dig the orthographic perspective and concept! Your models, esp. the trailer, look great. I'm wondering, is the focus going to be on some kind of story/reveal or will it be simulation/trading based? 
Cheers Smiley the focus will definitely be story, the main gameplay is the branching dialogue between you and the tradesman. Some responses will block off others and the whole game loops - giving you the opportunity to try different dialogue paths. The whole thing will be a relative small experience - limited in budget, time and programming skill! Future expansions/episodes exploring other characters who occupied the Emporium is very much an interesting possibility!

The aesthetics reminds me of INSIDE. Looks amazing.

Yeah, also reminded me of INSIDE! Which is a great reference btw. The game looks beautiful, could you share some more of the references? Great job transitioning from 2D to 3D, the animations are looking pretty good.

Again, beautiful work, the mood looks incredible and it looks like you found the perfect tone for it.
Cheers very much! 2D to 3D has been an up-hill struggle! So when I first started Emporium, I was very much inspired by Monument Valley and Timothy J. Reynolds' low-poly stuff - I had hopes taking that kind of look and layering up some more foreboding/darker vibes. I was also playing INSIDE a bunch at that time - that kind of desolate industrial look had definitely crept into my subconscious!

Also, just in case you missed the link, I talk a bit more about my specific architectural influences in this little article with KillScreen. You can check it out here

Cheers all for the kind words and feed back! I'll have more to show real soon Smiley

Elamhut
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »

Hey Tom!

I was just passing by, didn't know about this forum until 5 minutes ago Tongue Created this account to help you out (probably won't see your answer tho you can reach me on twitter in this same Handle)

Game is looking gorgeous, congratulations Smiley

I'm a professional 3D Animator, I'll give you some tips to help out (inside the quote) Smiley

So I've been animating! My background is in 2D illustration/design with a little bit of animation hear and there, so it's a been a rewarding struggle teaching myself to work in 3D!

Here's a look at some of the basic animations I've been putting together for EMPORIUM (apologies for the dense GIF compression!)

Your character seems like he's running on the air, he doesn't have any weight to him. If you take a close look at the top of his head you'll see that he's at the same level in the Y during the entire cycle. You need to take his COG (Center of Gravity) and pull it up and down during the cycle a lot more. This could also be an adverse effect of the way you've made this video, if you did on Unity the camera for some reason follow's the character up and down and this could make it seem like he's not moving much. His hips also don't move at all, look at his butt, hips move forward and backward but it also needs to move up and down in rotation. In the image below I added some arrows for clarity on what I'm trying to explain. Also the shoulders, he's not moving his shoulders when he's running. Everyone who's starting to animate in 3d forget the shoulders at some point, but they are super important to convey a better sense of weight when your character touches the ground.

This is basically 2 poses with a basic curve. This animation is lacking a lot of flavor, you need to "break" the character. Every limb is moving at roughly the same time and they arrive also at the same time, you need to break that so the character feels more alive. Also his back to idle animation is super slow, if the idea is that it takes him a lot of time to go back to idle you should add more flavor instead of just slowly going back to the Idle plose. Try holding the character a bit more in the protected pose and make him look to both sides before going back to idle a bit quicker, that could take the same amount of time but you'd add more life to it.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh, hopefully my tips will make you improve your animations Smiley If you want to ask me stuff just reach me @elamhut on twitter Smiley

Cheers
ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »

I really like the direction you're taking this! Keep up the good work   Coffee
TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »

I really like the direction you're taking this! Keep up the good work   Coffee
Cheers very much! Coffee

Sorry if I was a bit harsh, hopefully my tips will make you improve your animations Smiley
No need to apologise! Some sound advice, the run and walk cycles were my first go at any 3D animation, so I really appreciate the feedback, and you taking the time to sign up! Smiley . A second pass over the animations will most definitely be happening in the polish stage of production!

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »

So I'll finish off today with a screenshot. Majority of today was spent on this scene, bit of an odd one . . . Still very much a work in progress.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 09:49:57 PM »

Emporio is a character in Hirohito Araki's popular Japanese Manga Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

EmporiUM is a videogame featured on the tigsource website that is described by one poster (The Armorman) as "being the hottest news in town - it's something Not Bad, And Good, and that Means I Gotta play it, Bubba!"

I like everything I've seen so far! Every thread on tig source should have a picture of a dead body in the first post.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic