Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:05:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEMPORIUM || available now on steam!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: EMPORIUM || available now on steam!  (Read 10585 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 06:30:36 AM »

Wow this glow effect is gorgeous and subtle!

cloudgods
Level 0

im j

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 06:40:46 AM »

Wow this game is gorgeous! Loving the environments so far--they have a lot of mood. Looking forward to seeing more of this!

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »

. . . Every thread on tig source should have a picture of a dead body in the first post.
Ha! It's good to begin how you mean to go on! Also cheers Coffee

Wow this glow effect is gorgeous and subtle!
Thanks, can't take all the credit though, SE Natural Bloom from the unity store is a beautiful bloom effect!

Wow this game is gorgeous! Loving the environments so far--they have a lot of mood. Looking forward to seeing more of this!
Cheers very much, these little diorama scenes are really fun to cook up!

haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »

I love the dark mood and ambience the graphics show so far! The orthographic camera gives it a unique look  Smiley keep the good work dude!

Currently working on: Matter -> Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »

I love the dark mood and ambience the graphics show so far! The orthographic camera gives it a unique look  Smiley keep the good work dude!
Cheers fella! Coffee

So I've been busy working on EMPORIUM. Thought it friendly to poke my head out and show a little of that.

Here I am sat on my desk, hard at work

The most complete scene I have to show is "Scene III - Body of Water"

It's a smush of a childhood memory of mine, as well as some hefty visual metaphor and actual EMPORIUM lore/themes. Although at this stage I'm sure all three are incarnations of one-another.

Wire frame to texture-less render in blender

In-game shot of "Scene III - Body of Water"

In-game shot of "Scene III - Body of Water"

I had a rough old time getting the water looking how I wanted. With my drastic inability to write shaders and it being a prominent element of the scene it was a bit of an up hill struggle that I probably spent too much time on!

I eventually settled on unity's default water shader for the main body of water. But I was super keen to have the waves foam at the edges of the objects it hit. After wasting real life money on some unity store water assets to try and achieve this I soon realised that since my hansom orthographic camera doesn't have a depth pass, the desired effect wasn't gunna happen for me.

Defeated, I ate dinner.

During my most welcome food break I came up with a hack-y botch to get what I wanted.

Final water foam effect.

Basically, I started laying out flat meshes where things met the water and cut holes where objects intersected. They're positioned about 0.01 above the actual water mesh to avoid clipping artefacts.

I then set about making textures for each of those meshes to illustrate foam. A standard unity cut-out shader was then added to each mesh. All I did after that was animate the alpha cut-off slider in and out to simulate the water movement.

Foam texture from the two errant barrels.

You'll see there's a slight gradient going towards the barrels as well a bit of texture. As the alpha cut-off is tweaked you get a feel of movement. Animating the barrels up and down was of course more straight forward.

It's not 100% what I had in mind, nor is it 100% natural. But it functions well and over all gives the scene it's desired movement at least!

I've also got a large chunk of the writing done. I started doing proper final writing in the very beginning of January and soon realised composing dialogue is a deeply skilled trade and that I was in no way equipped to handle the task!

So to combat this my approach to the storytelling completely changed and shifted perspective dramatically. Everything fell into place after that. In the fallout of this the narrative content of EMPORIUM took on a much more introspective tone. If you may permit me to be a little open here. Aspects of my person sensibility and my own therapy sessions were bleeding into the writing, through the lens of EMPORIUM's narrative, albeit poetically mirrored and hidden in thickly layered metaphor! I was slightly taken aback by how well things lined up. So despite initially feeling a little intimidated I embraced it!

The functional fallout of this is the dialogue trees don't run quite as deep as I initially intended, however fewer choices have allowed me have those choices actually impact the game world to a certain extent as well as generate the possibility of two subtly different endings Smiley

So you've read this far, why not have a treat? Work on the music for EMPORIUM has begun!

Plans were put in place to work with a composer buddy of mine and record with a cellist. Time, budget and scheduled constraints have rendered that pipe dream impossible. So I am taking on the music myself. Given the newly acquired personal nature of EMPORIUM it seems more fitting for it to be a solo endeavour.

I've been making some early explorations into the sonic landscape of EMPORIUM and here are my results. This doesn't feel final yet, but I think I'm at least facing the right direction.

Here's a screen grab of me laying out the composition for those that want to sing along at home

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »

Just a quick one for now. Here's a peek at what I've been working on today  Coffee

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »

Ah so I've settled on a loose release window for EMPORIUM - we're looking at spring time, 2017! So like soon, but not soon soon, you know?

To articulate this I've set up a page on itch.io so you can track the game there and be notified upon it's release and so on. Click HERE to view the aforementioned page!

I've also been toying with the prospect of producing EMPORIUM art prints/posters. I've stuck some mock-ups below. If anyone would be interested in something like this let us know!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:06 PM »

I am very excited to play through Emporium on release. Keep up the momentum it seems like you are almost there. I would be interested in a postcard set because I'm a sucker for postcards.

safaaris
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »

So to combat this my approach to the storytelling completely changed and shifted perspective dramatically. Everything fell into place after that. In the fallout of this the narrative content of EMPORIUM took on a much more introspective tone. If you may permit me to be a little open here. Aspects of my person sensibility and my own therapy sessions were bleeding into the writing, through the lens of EMPORIUM's narrative, albeit poetically mirrored and hidden in thickly layered metaphor! I was slightly taken aback by how well things lined up. So despite initially feeling a little intimidated I embraced it!

Being a film major, my screenwriting professor would always say "write from what you know" because that's where all the best stories come from. So definitely embrace the introspective tone, it will pay off in the end!

And the music sounds great! I love the use of the cello. It has such a melancholy tone that seems to be perfect for the game. And the poster/print idea would be very cool if you do decide to go through with it. Overall great job, keep it up!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 03:32:36 AM »

I just played through EMPORIUM and it is so wonderfully beautiful and emotionally breath taking almost to the point of suffocation. Thank you for creating this and sharing a part of you with all of us. I look forward to whatever you create next.

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »

I just played through EMPORIUM and it is so wonderfully beautiful and emotionally breath taking almost to the point of suffocation. Thank you for creating this and sharing a part of you with all of us. I look forward to whatever you create next.
Thank you for the kind words, on here and on twitter. So glad you enjoyed Emporium Coffee (is enjoyed the right word?).

Being a film major, my screenwriting professor would always say "write from what you know" because that's where all the best stories come from. So definitely embrace the introspective tone, it will pay off in the end!
Cheers for the words of encouragement!

So dev log time! I've regretfully neglected this log in the closing months of Emporium work. Once I saw the light at the end of the tunnel I kinda just shut out the the waking world and put myself to work! So in light of a formal dev log post you can read a fast and loose break down of my time spent on Emporium in this interview here.

But here we are, Emporium is finished and released. It's just on itch.io right now. Currently I'm sorting out GameJolt marketplace stuff, also looking into a gog.com release. Steam is a hard maybe right now. it's mostly needing time to set up and code achievements. Also in the shift to "steam greenlight" to "steam direct" I'm gunna need to see how much a steam release will set me back!

It's also only out for PC right now. That one's simple - if Emporium earns me enough money to buy a decent Mac to test on I can do a Mac release Hand Money Left Hand Money Right Hand Money Left Hand Money Right 

So yeah, here's the new trailer and all the links for all the things. Enjoy(?) Emporium Coffee

I'll most likely be throwing some more updates here in the near future - behind the scenes and post mortem type stuff. So stick around I guess Smiley

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »

Enjoyed is the right word and it's great to hear you have more plans for EMPORIUM it is so powerful I really see it becoming a historic piece of interactive art. Looking forward to hearing other people's reactions to it as it is played by others. Good luck with everything and thank you for taking the time to share some more thoughts here. Do you have ideas for similar or different concepts you'd like to approach after EMPORIUM is taking up less of your time?

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »

Enjoyed is the right word and it's great to hear you have more plans for EMPORIUM it is so powerful I really see it becoming a historic piece of interactive art. Looking forward to hearing other people's reactions to it as it is played by others. Good luck with everything and thank you for taking the time to share some more thoughts here. Do you have ideas for similar or different concepts you'd like to approach after EMPORIUM is taking up less of your time?
Thank you man, that means a lot to me! And yep, I've got a couple of things in the works. Namely adam. I'll be back working with my little team Blind Sky Studios to build the adam prototype into a full project! I've also been nursing a rough idea for another little solo project, but that's still all up in my head right now!

Also since EMPORIUM has been doing pretty well on itch.io I've run ahead and set it up on steam greenlight! Soooooooo

please and thanks all round Coffee

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »

It is great you have other things lined up, looking forward to seeing them develop! Adam looks like it has come pretty far already. Good luck with green light! 

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 04:41:37 AM »

It is great you have other things lined up, looking forward to seeing them develop! Adam looks like it has come pretty far already. Good luck with green light!  
Ah cheers buddy!

So Emporium go greenlit! cheers a lot for votes and such Smiley The store page is live and you can follow/wishlist it HERE

I'll be setting EMPORIUM loose on May 18th.

Meanwhile I've been having a blast making trading cards and emoticons!!!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:24:48 AM by TomKitchen » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »

Congrats on getting Greenlit! Smiley

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 04:44:54 AM »

Congrats on getting Greenlit! Smiley
Ah cheers very much!

So today I released EMPORIUM on steam - here's a nice big ol' link

Since EMPORIUM is finished now and I wasn't able to dedicate as much time as I wanted to this dev-log I thought it might be fun to post up some retrospective behind the scenes development stuff.

So just as a starter I've smooshed together a bunch of the reference images I collected while working on EMPORIUM - sort of like an EMPORIUM mood board or something! Thought it might be fun to see it all together!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic