Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:33:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPitch me your game. I'll give you feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pitch me your game. I'll give you feedback!  (Read 1738 times)
RaconteurNick
Level 1

Business Dude @ Raconteur Games

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:36:59 PM »

Hey TIG!

I'm getting active on the forums again and wanted to do this to be of service to my fellow indies.

I'm Nick, and I'm a "business guy." I started my company Raconteur Games with no coding knowledge, instead bringing a business perspective to the table. I've worked in retail, journalism, economic development and more. Being around lots of entrepreneurs, I've learned a lot about pitching, and have found that this is where a lot of indie groups struggle.

So, pitch me your game. Assume I'm a player who walks by your booth at a convention and you're explaining it to me. I'll give you constructive criticism. This is helpful from a marketing perspective. But don't message me -- post it here, so others can benefit as well.

Let's do this. Smiley

jamilWinkelbaum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »

Here's a new puzzle game I made called Block Farm

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/block-farm/id1158734337?ls=1&mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beanpoleLabs.blockFarm
tsunamayo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:31:29 PM »

Hello, and thanks for your time !
So I will give it a shot :

Game : Skywanderers.

Build spaceships and wander among the stars !
Skywanderers is voxel sandbox game sets in a procedural galaxy made of billions of stars.
Use blocks to create spaceships, dock into space stations, mine asteroids on planetary rings and discover the wonders of the galaxy!

In the final version, you will be able to live the adventure in a survival mode :
You wake up alone on hostile planet and have to fight for your survival. Every night you look up in the sky and see the beautiful moon, waiting for you. Soon enough you can build rovers and planes, and one day you manage to venture into the dark night of space - and step into the moon. This a small step for you, but bigger leaps are awaiting : a full solar system to explore and colonize, and then the stars !

Also question : I am not sure whether it ok to say : Think of the game as Minecraft meets Elite.

Some teaser pictures and more description material : https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58134.0

Thanks !
RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »

Letting y'all know that I'll be getting to this on Thursday when I have proper time to sit down and give good feedback - looking forward to it! Smiley

iamsed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »

We have our pitch up on the Square Enix Collective site:

http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/293/die-for-valhalla

would love to hear your feedback.

monstercouch.com<br />@monstercouch <br />https://www.facebook.com/MonsterCouchGames/
RaconteurNick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:24:27 AM »

Hey everyone! I got crazy busy and this took longer to get back to than I thought. Let's do it!

I think your description explains the game well, but there's not as much of a hook as there could be. Consider adding something like, "Only a master can pass all [x amount] levels. Will you become one?"

Hello, and thanks for your time !
So I will give it a shot :

Game : Skywanderers.

Build spaceships and wander among the stars !
Skywanderers is voxel sandbox game sets in a procedural galaxy made of billions of stars.
Use blocks to create spaceships, dock into space stations, mine asteroids on planetary rings and discover the wonders of the galaxy!

In the final version, you will be able to live the adventure in a survival mode :
You wake up alone on hostile planet and have to fight for your survival. Every night you look up in the sky and see the beautiful moon, waiting for you. Soon enough you can build rovers and planes, and one day you manage to venture into the dark night of space - and step into the moon. This a small step for you, but bigger leaps are awaiting : a full solar system to explore and colonize, and then the stars !

Also question : I am not sure whether it ok to say : Think of the game as Minecraft meets Elite.

Some teaser pictures and more description material : https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58134.0

Thanks !

Love the premise, but right now people are feeling pretty burned from No Man's Sky. Perhaps don't emphasize the procedural part as much (most players don't understand that entirely), and instead focus on the "wandering" aspect. It sounds like you don't have much of a purpose, which is where people got mad about NMS -- instead, you could pitch it as upfront saying it's a game about just wandering through space; it's about the journey, not the destination! The "fight for survival" part confused me a bit - is it a survival game or is that just the opening building up to wandering among the stars?

That comparison to MC/Elite is perfectly fine to use when explaining the game to people.

Overall - I would shorten your pitch to explain it to people to a succinct 1-3 sentences. "Have you ever wanted to just -wander- among the stars? Take a ride through the universe in my game, "Skywanderer."

We have our pitch up on the Square Enix Collective site:

http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/293/die-for-valhalla

would love to hear your feedback.

I think you have fantastic detail overall, but I would tighten up the opening section/paragraph into a little shorter quick pitch. For example, "Die for Valhalla! is a rogue-lite, the levels are made of modules and every playthrough is different based on your decisions" may not necessarily tell me what the game is - and if I have never heard of a rouge-lite, I may stop reading there and you certainly don't want that!

This leads into my final summary for everyone --

There's something in marketing that we call the 4 P's = price, product, promotion, and place. However, in game development, I have what was once taught to me as the "3 P's" even though one doesn't start with P:

Fantasy, Promise, and Position.

Fantasy is the world you're selling, the pitch to get people interested. Am I a Viking warrior? Am I a wanderer among the stars? Am I the most badass puzzle solver ever?

Promise is what the game will be. Come up with a quick 1-3 sentences to describe the gameplay in a way that no one would not understand it, even if it's not their type of game.

Finally, Position is the market you're in/the audience you're after. If you have the "first 2 p's" then this one usually works itself out, but don't take that as an excuse to not know who your audience is or who would like this kind of game! Wink Market research is so, so, so important - use websites like steamspy.com to see how similar games have sold to see if it's commercially viable.

Hope you all got something out of that! Let me know if I can be of further service to you. Smiley

juriel0000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »

Hello.

I really appreciate your offer. I need feedback from people away from me.

I'm developing a game called Catstronaut. The objetive is to hit asteroids away from the screen to avoid it hit spaceship.
I know that current music sucks. I'm working about new powerups and bad asteroids.

GOOGLE PLAY:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.comtor.games.castronaut
SlavGameDev
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »

Hey. Thanks for your offer, gladly received!

The game I want to pitch isnt yet in development, at the moment I'm prototyping a physical version, also trying to evaluate the hook and gauge interest.

Game: Game Dev RPG

Become the next Sid Mayer!
Get into the shoes of a game developer! Learn various game development skills and put them to work! Find investors and publishers! Recruit other devs or work with them on a rev share! Get a job at a triple A studio! Attend conferences! Reach out to the press and youtubers! Make the next hit game!

Think of the game as Game Dev Tycoon, but with less focus on setting up an office and team, and more on levelling your character/avatar, skill trees, stats etc. Leave out the "history of gaming, start in the 80s" theme.

Do you think this is a catchy theme for a game?
theproof
Level 0

Nothing is impossible!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »

Hello Nick,

Would it make sense to you, If i pitch you the Game I plan to work on over the next months? Currently there is only the game vision itself and the ideas about it - not a single screenshot or graphic, pure imagination.

What do you think?

cheers & happy development,
TheProof
locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 02:33:54 AM »

Hey Nick,

Would love to hear your feedback on a puzzle unix hacking/scripting type game I've been working on.

https://locknic.itch.io/sudokil

RubberMan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »

Hey Nick,

The video game industry is big business with some games making over $500 million within 24 hours of their release.

A new video game Virtual Earth Online (VEO) has been developed and is almost ready for release.

This new game has stunning world leading technology and a proven formula that could propel it into the annals of history as one of the greatest games ever designed.

Some important points:

1. Minecraft made over $3 Billion USD in sales.
2. Microsoft purchased Minecraft for $2.4 Billion USD.
3. Virtual Earth Online is a far superior game compared to Minecraft.
4. Over 150 million people have purchased Minecraft.
5. Minecraft players want a Minecraft 2 game but Microsoft are not releasing a sequel to Minecraft.
6. Virtual Earth Online is the next evolution of Minecraft.

SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGIES:

To develop a game for today’s demanding players requires a video game company to have a large range of skills and technologies, including graphic design, programming in multi computer languages, network technologies, marketing and development skills. VEO has sourced these skills and have them all under one roof based in Australia.

THE VIRTUAL EARTH ONLINE GAME:

Your house is in this game! The street you live on is in this game!

Yes that’s correct! Every road, river, tree, all the oceans, it is all here in this game! VEO uses proprietary technology that utilizes Google Earth technology to reproduce the entire Earth in the game. This has never been done before!

The VEO game is a hybrid between the successful Minecraft and Sims video games coupled with stunning Google Earth technology to produce what is not just a video game but what could be considered the future of the internet.

VEO is a recreation of the entire Earth:

The game play for VEO is based on the “sandbox” concept. Players have tools and building materials available to them and the players are able to build anything they like in the game.

Players can purchase a block of land where they live and build their house in the game, they can reconstruct their local shopping malls in the game and can even charge rent for businesses to advertise within the game.

To understand the game better please visit www.virtualearthonline.com and view the trailer video.

NEW TECHNOLOGY:

The technology developed for VEO is staggering, not only is the entire Earth reconstructed within the game but we also have a real economy operating within the game utilizing real money.

Players can purchase blocks of land from the website using state of the art technology proprietary to VEO. Once players purchase their block of land they are free to build, explore and interact with other players in the game. Land blocks can be developed by players and then placed for sale to other players on the VEO real-estate website for real money.

THE INTERNET MARKET:

Online shopping is rapidly becoming the dominate force for retail sales around the world. VEO will have shopping malls and 3D technology that will allow business owners to reach out to their customers with the latest 3D technology.

As the digital world becomes more entrenched in people’s lives the need for real office space to conduct business is becoming less relevant.

People are working from home more because of the connectivity of the internet to customers. VEO will become a place where business owners will be able to establish their business and have a 3D presence in the digital world.

GAME STATUS:

The VEO technology is already developed and the game is live online and available to play, currently free to download until full launch through the Steam network.

Thank you for your time Nick, best wishes and enjoy the game.

Developer of Virtual Earth Online and Orc Island
www.orcisland.com
www.virtualearthonline.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic