Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:48:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames[Fresh] [New] Tropes vs Women in Video Games: "Sinister Seductress"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: [Fresh] [New] Tropes vs Women in Video Games: "Sinister Seductress"  (Read 5295 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »

Like only one person in this thread has had religious upbringing and education! Lord Halken show us the true light! You are our morning star!

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »

No need to take cheap shots and beat a dead horse.

I retract everything I've said in this thread.

Sorry for the muck-about peoples.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2016, 12:09:16 AM »

my comment wasn't meant as a cheap shot Sad Sad

I finally found someone who seems to have a clear idea of what they think the story says and who was prepared to give some straight answers. I honestly find that fascinating.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2016, 05:38:22 AM »

For those who are curious.

The Catholic interpretation of the Garden of Eden is pseudepigrapha (which means it is a deviation and a reconstruction of the original tale). Eve is not considered evil in the true story and neither is Adam. The serpent is not supposed to represent Satan either. This was all additional to the folk who "re-created" the scriptures to better suit their worldview of humanity (in particular women).

Anyways, the nature of the story is irrelevant regarding Sarkeesian's stance because most game designers ARE influenced by the Catholic interpretation and therefor necessary as a reference for scrutinizing video game characterizations (same goes for Greek mythology).

I agree with almost everything Anita puts forth about these things and it's necessary to further better this medium as a whole.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »

Um, this article completely misrepresents the original text. Sure, a lot of the mythology is based on extrabiblical texts and stories, that's a real thing. But to say that the Bible itself doesn't blame Eve is just absurd. The article has to pretend that large chunks of the Genesis story don't exist in order to spin it's narrative. Which I can only assume is to mislead the reader to what the text actually says.

For example, the article does acknowledge that there are two different creation stories in Genesis. But it chooses to only quote the first one (where man and woman are created at the same time and sort of as equals). But in the other one, where they are created at different times, it's clearly establishes that Eve was the one who initiated the fruit-eating and as a result is given a much harsher punishment.

Again, let me directly quote the words of the God-character in Genesis:

To the woman [the Lord God] said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
    with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
    and he will rule over you.”

To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’

[... you'll have to do hard work and then die ...]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:46:00 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic