Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:20:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSo who's going to Mars?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: So who's going to Mars?  (Read 5056 times)
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2016, 05:56:25 AM »

Fun fact: it takes less energy to escape the solar system than it takes to crash into the sun.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »

I am on Mars.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2016, 08:30:09 AM »

Maybe you should check your facts before you try to pull explanations out of your ass?

Both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 have reached escape velocity from the solar system.

Eventually, the Voyagers will pass other stars. In about 40,000 years, Voyager 1 will drift within 1.6 light-years (9.3 trillion miles) of AC+79 3888, a star in the constellation of Camelopardalis which is heading toward the constellation Ophiuchus.  In about 40,000 years, Voyager 2 will pass 1.7 light-years (9.7 trillion miles) from the star Ross 248 and in about 296,000 years, it will pass 4.3 light-years (25 trillion miles) from Sirius, the brightest star in the sky . The Voyagers are destined—perhaps eternally—to wander the Milky Way.

Given that gravity follows the inverse-square law this is hardly surprising. Getting up from the bottom of the gravity well requires a lot of energy, but just going from one body to another isn't that difficult. Maybe go play some Kerbal Space Program if you want to get a gut feeling for it. That would at least increase the chance that you get things right next time you start pretending that your personal intuition is scientific fact.
You just used the word "facts" and quoting Nasa in one post.

It is correct that gravity attenuates with distance according to an inverse-square law. But you cannot ignore the gravitational pull of all other objects in our solar system. Especially, when the probe gets its final pull by being near to furthest planet away, the planet will also strongly pull it back once it flies past it. In total you cannot generate sufficient energy by our solar system alone, the probe would need to release a substantial amount of energy on its own to really escape the solar system.

For propulsion alone, I will give it the benefit of a doubt though since there is always some sort of radiation out there. You could potentially use it as a push, at least to some extent.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:38:15 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »

I know from previous encounters with you that it's pointless to try to explain things to you or discuss things with you.

I just want anyone following the discussion to know that J-Snake is either trolling or has the worst case of the Dunning-Kruger effect you'll ever see.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »

Gravitational slingshot anyone?

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2016, 12:57:11 PM »

I did some math, main things considered. It's true, I initially overestimated the problem with escape velocity. Turns out it is not that big of a deal.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »

Quite unsurprisingly, literal rocket-scientists have already done the exact math. It really isn't that hard to look up.

However, what actually poses a potentially unsurmountable challenge is to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. If you want to do that, you would probably have to bring unreasonable amounts of fuel, collect stuff on the way or send tiny probes.
http://www.universetoday.com/15403/how-long-would-it-take-to-travel-to-the-nearest-star/

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »

people on the street tell me the radiation of interstellar space is also a big issue, any truth to this?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »

people on the street tell me the radiation of interstellar space is also a big issue, any truth to this?
Googling:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_medium
https://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0610/0610030.pdf
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/spacenews/factsheets/pdfs/radiation.pdf
http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q2720.html

Also we can feed on radiation using melanin using genetic modification inspired by:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiotrophic_fungus
Space travel belong to black people Cool

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »

I think that it is quite reasonable to assume that biological beings like us are most likely not getting anywhere outside our solar system in reasonable time. Propulsion is just a one piece of puzzle of interstellar travel. I think that if our descendants will achieve interstellar travel, they will likely use some form of stasis during the travel or even more likely are something we would think as robots etc.

Essentially I think that the main key for interstellar travel and exploring of other systems is not the speed but rather technology to revive conscious beings in their destination. For this something like 5% or 10% of speed of light would be probably reasonable and that is certainly achievable according of our current understanding of physics.

This is however quite simple prediction based on physics. Recently I have been wondering how technologies like virtual reality affect to our need of expansion. I don't find it that far fetched to imagine that VR would essentially fulfill most of humanity's desires and remove any motivation to leave planet Earth. In really long run that wouldn't be sustainable but still. Even today there is a lot of awesome things we could build with our current technology but we lack motivation to do so because of economics or something else.

It is problem even in our solar system perhaps even more so because we have big radiation source called sun. It is a real problem for our current technology but nothing inherently problematic for interstellar travel. For example for Mars missions it is problem since we lack technology to build necessary protection even though we already know ways to counter those issues. In short it is a problem for our current tech but likely not a big issue in a grand scheme of things.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2016, 12:12:51 AM »

The real problem with interstellar travel is time. You can go very slow and take a lifetime to get there. Or you might go very very fast, and relativistic effects kick in.

Either way, you can never return to your home, only the space it occupies - decades, centuries, or millennia in the future.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:27 AM »

if I've finally escaped this stupid planet why would I want to ever go back

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »

Cool
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2016, 08:33:18 AM »

if I've finally escaped this stupid planet why would I want to ever go back
because you will escape with stupid people

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2016, 08:35:26 AM »

or notice that the stupidity was within yourself
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2016, 08:39:49 AM »

The real problem with interstellar travel is time. You can go very slow and take a lifetime to get there. Or you might go very very fast, and relativistic effects kick in.

Either way, you can never return to your home, only the space it occupies - decades, centuries, or millennia in the future.

relativistic effects aren't a big deal for the traveler, though, right? It's like a weak-sauce version of cryosleep. What matters is the time it takes to go there and back, from earth's perspective. That's how much time will have passed on earth after the there-and-back trip, just with the (presumable) bonus for the traveler they have experienced less time passing.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »

It takes 6 month relativistic time to get to the closest star.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »

from what we've seen, the biggest issue is the autonomous AI you put in charge of the ship
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic