Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:00:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignFavourite game play mechanics in action platformers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Favourite game play mechanics in action platformers  (Read 951 times)
tecbug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »

What's your favourite game play mechanics in action platformers? Please add screenshot if you want.
Please also tell what you don't like.

My favourite is hanging possibility in Darkwing Duck:

I don't like (or I'm just bored) with double jump in all kind of games.

My dark top-down arcade game: Mooch
tecbug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »

To make this easier, there is bunch of mechanics that I recall:
- Hanging possibility (Darkwing duck)
- Double jump (Ghouls'n Ghosts)
- Slide (Megaman)
- Jumping on enemies head to kill them (Mario)
- Realistic movement and jumps (Prince of Persia)
- Sucking and spitting enemies (Kirby)
- Switching into a "ball" (Metroid, Turrican)
- Grabbing (and swing) hook (Bionic Commando)
- "Pogo" jumping (Duck Tales, Kommander Keen)

My dark top-down arcade game: Mooch
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »

The original N flashgame by Metanet. It got action platforming on a fundamental level.

The only thing that could possibly improve it is slow motion and a grappling hook.
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 06:13:52 AM »

I think one game with superb platforming controllers is Ori and the Blind Forest, if you are looking for something to inspire you or see well implemented mecanics, check it out. It's dash attack and it's use in the flooding tree fascinated me.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:33:28 AM »

Hmm... I'll confess that I don't play many action-platformers! Nevertheless, a few mechanics that I recall enjoying:

• Limited-use jetpacks
    • These can aid exploration, and add to one's manoeuvrability in combat, I feel.
  • "Odd" weapons--weapons that behave in strange and interesting manners, while remaining useful
    • For example, Jill of the Jungle had a thrown knife that returned to the player--even if the player moved. This allowed the player to control the return-path of the knife, and so attack enemies in places that might otherwise have been difficult to reach

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »

Castlevania 1-3 (NES): Very limited and precise jumping coupled with a methodical and deliberate movement pace makes for a very Demon's/Dark Souls-esque experience. To really make it through the games all actions require consideration as once you initiate the actions you are committed. There aren't a lot of platformers that have used the formula since as most have opted for variable jumping and movement that can be abruptly canceled.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

That's a good topic.

For me it is not exactly the mechanic that is fun/cool, but the context in which a mechanic is used.
By that statement I can also find jumping and double jumping fun.

Speaking of that, I am just making a minimalist game about mastering strategic platforming as an engine test, there is just jump and double jump. I have fun with the little game:) I made a short render test, would be interested to know if it also looks like fun for others.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Andy@TCS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »

That's a good topic.

For me it is not exactly the mechanic that is fun/cool, but the context in which a mechanic is used.
By that statement I can also find jumping and double jumping fun.

Speaking of that, I am just making a minimalist game about mastering strategic platforming as an engine test, there is just jump and double jump. I have fun with the little game:) I made a short render test, would be interested to know if it also looks like fun for others.

It looks fun, but I'm concerned that the player won't have enough time to react to the falling blocks. I would make sure to test for that.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I just realized that the blocks automatically fall where you are, and it becomes a line clear puzzle game. That's actually really cool. If you ever have a playable prototype, I'd love to try it out. You can email me at [email protected]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic