Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:29:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGame a week - Week 2!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game a week - Week 2!  (Read 1553 times)
PappaWayne
Level 0

Twitter: @pappasgamez

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »

EDIT:

So week 1 is now completed, onto week 2! This week's words are Contagion, Hard Decisions and Party Games. Got a few ideas for this one so far, thinking about a turn based multiplayer game...

Prior Week Results -

Week 1 - Seasons, Harvest, Infinite:

Egg Harvest - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnt9182l3xhq7ky/Egg Harvest.exe?dl=0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

I've been making little games for a while using game maker now and begun struggling for inspiration a bit. After reading some articles I've decided I'm going to give the whole 'make a game a week for a year' a go. I figured there's no better way to force yourself to come up with new ideas and get practice in a wide variety of game styles. Hopefully by the end of the year I will come out a far better designer and programmer Smiley.

I currently work 4 days a week, so I will have 1 full day a week to work on this plus any spare time I can find (plus weekends). Also anyone who wants to join me on this would love to have the company.

RULES:

- Monday Morning each project will start and it will have to be finished by Sunday night (midnight)
- A finished product will have to be posted online for people to view (and hopefully get feedback)
- I will only be using GameMaker for this
- Games will be based around 3 word themes (game jam style), for this I will be using http://www.cowfacegames.com/handytools/ludum-dare-theme-generator and will try avoid using double up words through the year
- All art work will be made by the designer (no borrowing external art)
- Will try to post atleast a couple of development updates each week

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:29:53 PM by PappaWayne » Logged

oab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »

Nice. I will start next week.

need to finish #gbjam first. Smiley

I am making a shmup game called. Devlog here : USG

I released 'Flesh' and 'miniStrike' on Steam. steam page
PappaWayne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 01:51:47 AM »

awesome good to hear Smiley I have a few people on the game dev reddit that are joining me https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/55ldto/game_a_week_week_1/

As an update I've got the game working with multiple enemy types, season transitions with solid controls. It's quite difficult at the moment haha, but I'm kinda liking it that way. Will get some better looking art in in the next couple of days

PappaWayne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 01:55:20 AM »

Ok, first game is complete! Not the most complex game in the world but have to start somewhere.

I called it Egg Harvest. It's an infinite runner where your play as a giant flying beetle. You have to harvest your eggs that arise during the spring and summer months, whilst avoid the enemy military trying to shoot you down. The eggs provide you with more energy so you can stay flying and use your shield to block attacks.
Would love some feedback on it if any of you can play it. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnt9182l3xhq7ky/Egg%20Harvest.exe?dl=0
Wanted to add a few more features but ran out of time in the end, was a far busier week than I was hoping.
Tomorrow will be starting my next one, will make a new thread for that with the new theme words
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:09:01 AM by PappaWayne » Logged

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »

Sounds like a nice idea but a little bit hardcore, at least for me. I had heard about the 1 game a month jam on kongregate, but 1 a week, damn. I wish I had the time to spare. Sad Anyway, I wish you the best and that you find the inspiration that you are looking for  Grin

ndnninja15
Level 1

I make games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »

^ Right. Even a game a month seems a little extreme for what I'm assuming is a one man band. Would be awesome to see PappaWayne give manbirth to a cool game over the course of one week though.
PappaWayne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »

Certainly not expecting it to be easy, and don't really intend to come up with the next Super Meat Boy or Mario in a week. It is interesting to see what you can achieve when you have such short time frames though. Forces me to come up with an idea and execute it quickly before I can get bored Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic