Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:08:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe Unfinished Game/Demo Dump
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: The Unfinished Game/Demo Dump  (Read 278524 times)
JackBread
Level 0

100% fresh hippo

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:41 AM »

In The Cave is a game that I was making for Game Maker's Competition 5. The competition was basically make a game for PSP, no external files and under 20mb(I think?). You use Arrow keys, Space, and P to play it.
The first two screenshots are correct in game, but I can't find one of actual play. I don't plan to finish it, but I play around with it occasionally.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »

Man, what happened to Them? We've been waiting for that demo forever!

Mattbert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »

Man, what happened to Them? We've been waiting for that demo forever!
Woops, sorry guys, school's been kinda busy lately.  Facepalm

Don't really have anything "playable" so much as poorly planned code that doesn't do a whole lot. Gotta get back to learning GML (or something else, any suggestions?) sometime so i can actually make it work (and hopefully finish it).
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: March 26, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »

I used to make flash animations with some characters that I've created and in 2006 I decided to make a fighting game using them, then I learned how much I frames I would have to draw for each character and I had a great ideia: I called a bunch of other brazilian flash animators and asked them if they wanted to put their characters in the game, they would just have to draw the frames for their characters and I would take care of my own characters and all of the coding.

Well, they all agreed but in the end only one of them did his job.. eventually I got a job that took most of my time and the project was forgotten by everyone. Maybe one day I'll make some new characters myself, polish the engine and make a new game with it:
http://www.homembarata.com.br/fight.swf

aekeren
« Reply #284 on: April 19, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

Bepixeled
http://megaswf.com/serve/1099720

Not much left to do!   Smiley  Improve the effects, add some emitters, maybe not rip off the FlashPunk color scheme so much, fix the stupid layering issue, find that memory leak, high scores, credits, Kong API...   Addicted
Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: April 19, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »

Since I posted this in a thread that got buried pretty quickly I might as well cross post this here:

Unfinished platformer for old EGP with the theme '10 seconds'.

Unfinished AGBIC entry based on the cartridge 'Brain Damage'.

WIP of a game called World's End.

Experimental shooter with visuals inspired by information graphics.

Multiplayer iPad prototype.

Wow, that felt pretty good. Sometimes you forget how much work you've done. I think I'll be back with more screens laters.

Sakar
« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »

Linear Dungeon Crawl
A project I posted in DevLogs initially. I got tired of the project, might pick it up again

ess
An FPS of some sort. Wasn't really happy with it at all

montée
A FP platformer that is technically "complete". I wasn't happy with the results though (the movement felt very floaty)

I have a TON of other things that never got anywhere as well, though most of those have virtually no gameplay.
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2011, 01:38:10 AM »

Droidz - a sequel of sorts to my Robotz DX game (http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/04/robotz-dx-pc-2010.html)

Unlike Robotz, which was thrown together really badly in about 2 weeks of evenings whilst I was off work with a new baby, I wanted the Droidz code to be properly structured so I could recycle parts of it again in future.

Took me a couple of weeks to write a full design document, program a comprehensive (and hugely over-animated) menu, proper control system/library, achievements screen and full graphics settings, but then I noticed the GM 'screen tearing' bug as soon as I'd implemented the tasty parallax scrolling backdrop behind the menu.  Unfortunately, as the game was planned to include high-velocity vertical shooter sections using the same code (as well as the main Chaos Engine/Alien Syndrome style 8-way scrolling game) this became a case of "hmmm, let's wait till they fix this".

They still haven't, although Mark from YoYo assures me that proper Direct X handling of graphics is planned for the next milestone release of GM (9).

In reality, I think that as long as the artist (who concurs with me about the tearing issue - it WILL ruin the game) is still up for completing this in future, there's only a 2-3 of months of casual work left to do on it.  I really hope to continue after the summer.

Shots of the menu:

In-game:

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2011, 08:19:21 AM »

@Heavy Stylus: oh my, pretty cool, but haaard :/ one hit from an enemy to die? :/

reminds me of cyber dogs a bit Smiley

rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »

@davidp - nah, it's not hard really. It's actually a LOT easier than the original Atari game on which it was based - in that one you died if you touched the walls (Bezerk style) and could only fire one bullet at a time! 

I'm a very average gamer, and even myself and the testing team could complete it near-enough every playthrough.  Check youtube to see it being played by the pros Wink

For the record, if I was shot by a rampaging military-grade robot then I'd expect to die after one hit Wink
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:46 AM »

Shots of the menu:

In-game:

I want to put my willy inside those graphics.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Theophilus
« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »

THAT IS SO COOL.
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments.

...I had another play with it today whilst on the train to a work meeting.  The menu is really lush, and the screen tearing isn't so obvious when the scanlines are on, so I'll really try to continue on this during the summer.  I know that the artist was dead keen to get this one back on track and we have a few Atari ST(E) scene musicians on board too, so who knows? Wink

The design doc and progress/to do list wasn't too terrifying when I checked it - a lot of code can be recycled from other prototypes I've made.  I would like to get a degree of procedural generation in there too, or alternatively have different routes through the game via a map (similar to the system used in hydorah) so that multiple playthoughs are required to collect all of the 'spoils of war'.

When I start work on it again I'll post a dev log.
darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »

Ah, you'd be heavy stylus from the atari forums would you Smiley

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2011, 11:06:03 PM »

holy shit so beautiful

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 22, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »

Holy penis Heavy Stylus, that game looks great. Your pixel artist is amazing and awesome, and you probably are too.

Would it be possible to add a brightening option in addition to scanlines? I love the scanline/TV effect and it makes a lot of old sprite-based games look better, but I don't like using it in many emulators because the image becomes so much darker (even at 25%).

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 22, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »

Droidz - a sequel of sorts to my Robotz DX game (http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/04/robotz-dx-pc-2010.html)

Unlike Robotz, which was thrown together really badly in about 2 weeks of evenings whilst I was off work with a new baby, I wanted the Droidz code to be properly structured so I could recycle parts of it again in future.

Took me a couple of weeks to write a full design document, program a comprehensive (and hugely over-animated) menu, proper control system/library, achievements screen and full graphics settings, but then I noticed the GM 'screen tearing' bug as soon as I'd implemented the tasty parallax scrolling backdrop behind the menu.  Unfortunately, as the game was planned to include high-velocity vertical shooter sections using the same code (as well as the main Chaos Engine/Alien Syndrome style 8-way scrolling game) this became a case of "hmmm, let's wait till they fix this".

They still haven't, although Mark from YoYo assures me that proper Direct X handling of graphics is planned for the next milestone release of GM (9).

In reality, I think that as long as the artist (who concurs with me about the tearing issue - it WILL ruin the game) is still up for completing this in future, there's only a 2-3 of months of casual work left to do on it.  I really hope to continue after the summer.

Shots of the menu:

In-game:

I hereby award you your black belt in pixel kung-fu, holy shit
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »

Haha - those gfx were by the guy I worked with on Robotz DX, and not me!  As there has been a bit of interest in this I'll definitely pick up the pieces of this project again in a few weeks Wink

Thanks for the kind feedback.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »

Realized i should prolly put this here.

Quick shooter in GM with snake-like controls.
Seeing if I remembered how to do stuff.
Only one type of enemie and they kinda suck.

Arrow keys + Z
R to restart.

http://db.tt/W6tzFuH

Music - The Magnificent Meat Shower by Coda.
EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »

Realized i should prolly put this here.

Quick shooter in GM with snake-like controls.
Seeing if I remembered how to do stuff.
Only one type of enemie and they kinda suck.

Arrow keys + Z
R to restart.

http://db.tt/W6tzFuH

Music - The Magnificent Meat Shower by Coda.
Nice game! Consider adding score to it, that should spice things up a bit.

Check out our thread for Boltus
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic