Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:18:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe Unfinished Game/Demo Dump
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: The Unfinished Game/Demo Dump  (Read 273970 times)
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2008, 07:10:11 AM »

I gave up on my latest space-trading game as well back in January. Here's Novarunner, which has a promising set of technology but is utterly uncontrollable:

Win32 "beta", check out the BetaReadme.html file to figure out how to play (some of) it.

Videos: Newer, Older.

Screenshots:

I don't really regret giving up on it, it was nearly impossible to work up the enthusiasm to work on it.

Since then, I did a new patch release of Glow and I'm working on a sequel to it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:12:14 AM by ravuya » Logged

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2008, 10:49:20 AM »

Whoa, how can people abandon such nice graphics, many of the screenshots posted look amazing.

Aw that looks sweet. It reminds a bit of "Rolo to the Rescue" for Mega Drive/Genesis.

Since everyone else is doing it (and because I've been meaning to post some stuff here for ages), I put together a little mosaic of unfinished projects of my own. It's not comprehensive or anything, just some of the more interesting ones.

I wonder if the graphics in the right top corner are inspired by Sonic 2? The brown and green colors, on rough edges, and blue sky. Almost like a Sonic for Super Game Boy (with 4 colors and Game Boy resolution). Ah, someone should make Super Game Boy style games, that would be cool.

As a side note, I thought there's a consistent color scheme going on in the screenshots, brown, green and gray colors, don't know if it's intentional. It looks good though.

The screenshot in column E1 looks amazing, much thanks to the blazing fire effect and those green tiles. Was the fire intended to burn the environment, it looks like some kind of deformable environment or something?

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2008, 08:05:05 AM »

Hey buddies,

Flash

Pretty much the first game I had done. This was made as an example for my physics class, planetary gravity and all that. I was pissed at making planets look interesting with vector graphics so we took the insanity route.
Lasersword swf

This was a project for 2 classes that were part of the Ontario goverments attempt to diversify and standardize Colleges. There was supposed to be a store and other ways to mine the asteroid, but I ran out of time.
link to Astrominer swf

C#/XNA

My first attempt at C# hooray text adventure! string parsing is fun!
Download text adventure

One of my more complete games. I was really happy with my light/dark gameplay mechanic. In my final, I had the 'hell march' from Red Alert as my background music. If I were to go back to this, I would add other enemies, levels and AI. But as it stands its kinda cool in a tech demo sorta way.
Download Light Figher

This is the non final build of my final for XNA. I had spent alot of time customizing the controls and different looks. I was pretty happy with the banking. The AI and models kinda suck, and the ground looks funky, but overall I am pleased. I lost the final code, which sucks, I had health bars with loosing and winning conditions and tighter controls.
*needs controller*
Download Planet Defender

This was the furthest I got in the Octacathalon. Unfortunately the Octacathalon was a bit of a failed experiment. I think it was just too intense for people in the summer time. If I were to do it again, I think I would reduce the number of games. Its too bad that I couldn't retain any classmates I think we could've benefited from the extra practise.
*needs controller*
Download asteroids like

C++/openGL

This was more of a program along demo, the gun code is a bit broken and I had a rough time with the lights, if you notice, only the treads are lit, but to my knowledge all of my normals were correct. I had to drop this project to work on others. I need to put more time in my open GL chops. I don't think I 100% understand 3d programming, but with Direct X next year, I hope I can get a better grasp on it. Open Gl was my worst class of last year, by 2 letter grades.
Download Tank Demo

This one was a group project, I had done most of the programming heavy lifting, with my group members taking care of the visuals and some of the AI and visual interface programming. I was really happy with how the one enemy worked out. I really enjoyed writing what little AI is there. Also I like my banking code, which still needed tweaking. Its unfortunate that we couldn't put as much time in it, but most of the functionality I was responsible for made it in, so I'm happy. This project was for 3 classes actually, we were graded on parts and not on the finished product which is too bad because I think that we would've ended up with a better game. There was also a Wiki for the design side, which is still online and clever users could find it.

Download PlanetaryDefender

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:45 PM »

TeamQuiggan - failing to finish more games than most people start.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2008, 07:14:01 AM »

Thanks for this thread! I felt really good when I played and checked my old, abandoned games through! These ones are about 2-4 years old, somehow I didn't choose any of my later games.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6024/abandonyc0.png

Click the link, the picture is quite big.

A1 - An epic metroidvania adventure.
A2 - A puzzle game where your mission was to save hostages.
A3 - Probably my most epic game project ever. I abandoned because my skills were improving during the game creation and in the end I noticed that the first parts of the game were rubbish.
A4 - Shadow of the Colossus clone. Yes, it's quite impossible to be done with Multimedia Fusion, but man, I tried hard.
B1 - A very old adventurer, one of my first games ever.
B2 - Basic Shmup.
B3 - One of my first games. It was about a rocket that you launched, and it moved according to the mass of the planets.
B4 - Cave Story clone (nothing else needs to be said)
C1 - A very old Games Factory game which was about shooting aliens and AI-controlled teammates.
C2 - A Mario-like platformer
C3 - A game where you could only watch two armies fight with their spaceships.
C4 - Another Shmup.
D1 - Fishing game!
D2 - That game was a bit like Another World, but it never got far.
D3 - A very epic platformer, which didn't make it due to bugs.
D4 - a point'n'click adventure. It's maybe the most succesfull game among these pieces Wink

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »

My major unfinished games (I won't include the minor ones).

Ergintandal for the OHR. Mission-based RPG about harmony and control. Last seriously worked on it: 2001.

Tilde and the Mask of Tongue. Dystopic RPG about the evils of Christmas and school. Last seriously worked on it: 2002.

Ziggurats for Red Turtle. Empire-management game a la Koei's old games about the fear of the supernatural. Last seriously worked on it: 2003.

Kinder Der Alter. Experimental game about the an alternate history of the Russian Revolution where the 7 children of Rasputin vie for power.

Troublespot. Strategy-RPG a la Vanguard Bandits about search and rescue missions in disaster areas. Last seriously worked on it: 2005.

New Detail. Adventure game about living in the present. Last seriously worked on it: 2007.

Most of these will eventually be finished, I hope.

I notice a pattern: I don't finish one game per year, except for 2006, in which I finished a game (Alphasix), and 2007, in which I both finished a game (Immortal Defense) and started one which I didn't finish. So my pattern is: if I don't finish a game during the year that I start it, I'll eventually go on to a new game instead. Not a very good pattern, but it's good to recognize it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:34:26 AM by rinkuhero » Logged

coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

to learn how to use flash / www.haxe.org i had a crack at Self Destruct using the assets from the original, about 3 hours work total spread over a few days

source and playable , click window to play
http://www.wonderbyte.com/flash/index.html

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »

Ah, sorry man, I meant to send you the source code way back then Sad I've been rubbish about finishing that Self Destruct update - too busy with Ciellus.

It's looking good, anyway Smiley

coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2008, 01:52:28 PM »

thanks man , i kind of lost the steam to work on this , lots of personal crud going on recently so please if anyone wants to use the code feel free

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2008, 05:09:31 PM »

This isn't technically a game, but these were assets for a game based off of one of my old comics. The idea was a sidescrolling platformer, a bit like a 2D Jet Set Radio with some more acrobatics thrown in for good measure. Not exactly the smartest way to go about making my first game, admittedly.

I drew all of these parts for a single character, to put together and reassemble on the computer for sprites, as well as some environmental pieces such as a giant lever you activated by jumping and grabbing. I never really got past making the parts, but if anybody wants to try throwing them together to see how they look, feel free to do so.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »

to learn how to use flash / www.haxe.org i had a crack at Self Destruct using the assets from the original, about 3 hours work total spread over a few days

source and playable , click window to play
http://www.wonderbyte.com/flash/index.html

hey its my pixel art!looks great in the browser window (:
coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2008, 11:23:38 PM »

your art looks great everywhere !!
Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »

The idea was that you would jump on baddies heads (how original!), and they would leave behind these little critters which you would have to collect to fill your quota for that level.

I've always been very fond of this sort of art style. It's a shame you never finished it.

For a couple of years I worked on a Spider-Man mod for Half-Life 2. Screenshots show nothing but the awfully animated and textured hands, so I present you with a GIF, and a YouTube link.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »

That reminds me of an oold mod for Half life I worked on.
It was called "Battle of the millenium" and it was an horrible mess.(I was only responsible for one map)
The original creators just "borrowed" character models from polycount.com , put them in terrible maps with half assed code and the magic of online deathmatch created one of the funniest mod I ever played.
You could play superman, spiderman,goku,robocop,some others I can't remember.
Each one had half programmed "powers" that were actually hacks on the standard HL weapons.
But it was hella fun.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »

For a couple of years I worked on a Spider-Man mod for Half-Life 2. Screenshots show nothing but the awfully animated and textured hands, so I present you with a GIF, and a YouTube link.

That actually looks pretty fun.  I'd dig a Spider Man game where you just swing around and explore and you don't have to fight anybody.  Like it's Spider Man's day off or something.

That's pretty much all I did in that Spider Man game on PS2 anyway.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2008, 02:06:45 AM »

Don't know if thewreck aproves of me posting this here - but i don't really care. Wink Maybe by posting i'll push him to actually finishing it.

It's a multiplayer, 2d, awesomesauce, dog-fight extreme to the max top gun game. Made by thewreck. The plane is controlled with the mouse, the further away you hold the cursor, the faster the plane will go, max speed is achieved by igniting the afterburners (holding the mouse as far away from the plane as possible).
It's a damn fine game and it's a damn shame thewreck hasn't finished it yet!

EDIT: The music is actually ingame, though i doubt it will be kept that way if released.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention; hold the mouse close enough and you'll deploy flaps.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:31:49 AM by Kinten » Logged

Renton
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2008, 02:15:39 AM »

I want the Spiderman mod and the dogfight game finished. NOW.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2008, 08:47:48 AM »

Don't know if thewreck aproves of me posting this here - but i don't really care. Wink Maybe by posting i'll push him to actually finishing it.

It's a multiplayer, 2d, awesomesauce, dog-fight extreme to the max top gun game. Made by thewreck. The plane is controlled with the mouse, the further away you hold the cursor, the faster the plane will go, max speed is achieved by igniting the afterburners (holding the mouse as far away from the plane as possible).
It's a damn fine game and it's a damn shame thewreck hasn't finished it yet!

EDIT: The music is actually ingame, though i doubt it will be kept that way if released.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention; hold the mouse close enough and you'll deploy flaps.

Wow this has to be the greatest parallax scrolling ever created. Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
increpare
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »

Wow this has to be the greatest parallax scrolling ever created. Beer!
Very accomplished indeed dude.   Smiley
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2008, 11:59:06 PM »

Holy fucking crap I want the dogfight game NOWNOWNOW!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic