Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411422 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:19:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI want to upload a game with assets that are not mine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I want to upload a game with assets that are not mine  (Read 697 times)
timba
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »

Hey, guys.

My game has a lot of sounds effects that I recorded from CS GO and other commercialized games. I was doing it for fun and also because I wanted a prototype of my idea.
But now I`m thinking about uploading somewhere. Can I upload it, as a non-commercial game? Or am I completely forbidden?

Thanks. 
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:59:25 PM »

That sounds like a nono, but I think it depends on the developer, I think worst case scenario is that they tell you to get the game down. Or maybe sue you for millions of dollars. Could be either one.  Tongue

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 01:12:22 AM »

Yeah I'd say no, but it seems like every other day someone is releasing a Mario or Pokemon clone and having it requested to be taken down.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »

It's technically illegal, but in practice it depends on where you're going to upload it and how you're going to present it. If you're only going to have a download link you share with people who are going to test your prototype, before you can add your own sounds, then nobody is going to care. If you're trying to get it published, then that's a no-go. Everything in between is a gray area.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
timba
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »

Thank you for enlightening me.

Like @Dacke said, I want to present it as a prototype, not as a completed game even if it has a full gameplay cycle.

It is a prototype because:
- Every sprite was made by me (programmer art). Some of them are random google images, I guess it is not a big deal.
- Every SFX is recorded from commercial sources. Thats the main problem.

New idea: Turning all sounds off! What do you think?
Also, can you suggest a few gaming sites that I could upload it?
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »

I was more thinking of uploading it to a file sharing service and posting the link in a devlog. If you want to publish on gaming sites for a more general audience, then you're more in the gray area. But it's not that anyone is actually going to care, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic